RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Watching DVD's on the NAV screen... while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 05:17 PM
Fikse
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watching DVD's on the NAV screen... while driving?

I just picked up a 04 RX330 AWD NAV/RSES.... of course the salesman was clueless... he said you couldn't listen to the DVD sound on the stereo, and that you could not watch the DVD on the main NAV screen....

found out quickly that we can... it's awesome!

SO, I'm wondering if we can trick the parking brake sensor to be on without actually having the parking brake on... allowing the DVD to be on the screen while driving.... for my front seat passenser to watch,, of course...

seems like it could be simple to do... with the parking brake on, I put the car in drive and the DVD still played on the NAV screen... but the brake was still engaged....

I also noticed that you have to just barely depress the parking brake to trigger the light and the DVD playing, before the brake is actually engaged, but of course the parking brake peddle wont stay right here.....

any ideas?

Last edited by Fikse; 01-13-04 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-14-04, 12:05 AM
shortbear
Driver School Candidate

I also am curious how to do this. I know it is possible because I saw pictures on the internet of cars with the feature. So far I have heard of two way to do this:

1) use a "pac module" you can buy to bypass the brake system.
2) ground the parking brake wire

So far no one has really elaborated as to how they were able to play DVD movies while the car is in motion. Has anyone here been able to successfully play DVD movies while the car is in motion?
Old 01-16-04, 03:02 PM
chatrathi
Rookie

Default Banned in California

As part of a host of new rules that came into effect Jan 1st of this year in lovely California, watching a movie/TV on any screen which is visible to the driver (exact words escape me) has been prohibited.

So if you are in CA, please check before you make any mods to view movies on your NAV screen.

Good luck!

-chatrathi
Old 01-17-04, 07:46 AM
jplenhart
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Just bought a new rx330 for my wife and I have been lurking around here the last couple of weeks -- nice place;-)

I was wondering how you are watching these DVDs? Are you replacing the actual navigation dvd with a movie dvd?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-04, 08:42 AM
Fikse
Rookie

jplenhart,

you have to have the rear seat entertainment system to play the DVD's....
Old 07-07-04, 09:21 AM
lkuo
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a new RX330.

I was trying to get the DVD audio and video to play in the front (navi) screen with the parking brake on and it didnt work for me. Is there a trick or a setting that I have turn on for this to work?

Is there any way to just have the audio on the dvd playing throught the speakers while driving? I have the mark levinston package and it would be awesome to have the DVD audio playing through the speakers.
Old 07-07-04, 09:25 AM
Fikse
Rookie

start playing the DVD on the back screen... then put the parking brake on, and press the CD or Aux button on the front (i forget which).... it should start playing the sound through the speakers and show the movie on the front screen...

you can listen to the DVD through the speakers while driving....

Last edited by Fikse; 07-07-04 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-07-04, 03:47 PM
mailrail
Rookie

Default Re: Watching DVD's on the NAV screen... while driving?

Originally posted by Fikse
I just picked up a 04 RX330 AWD NAV/RSES.... of course the salesman was clueless... he said you couldn't listen to the DVD sound on the stereo, and that you could not watch the DVD on the main NAV screen....

found out quickly that we can... it's awesome!

SO, I'm wondering if we can trick the parking brake sensor to be on without actually having the parking brake on... allowing the DVD to be on the screen while driving.... for my front seat passenser to watch,, of course...

seems like it could be simple to do... with the parking brake on, I put the car in drive and the DVD still played on the NAV screen... but the brake was still engaged....

I also noticed that you have to just barely depress the parking brake to trigger the light and the DVD playing, before the brake is actually engaged, but of course the parking brake peddle wont stay right here.....

any ideas?
Yeah...I've got an idea: Let me know if you figure this out and then post and let me know when you're going to be driving so I know not to be on the road at the same time as you're watching a DVD.
Old 07-07-04, 05:19 PM
Fikse
Rookie

already have it all done... thanks for the great idea....
Old 07-07-04, 08:05 PM
rl9905
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Fikse
already have it all done... thanks for the great idea....
Hey, i was wondering how did you do it? Can you please share your method on how you did it?

-thanx