RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Adjusting HID's on RX330

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 07:29 AM
md567
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight aim

Can someone show me a clear picture of where the bolt is and the screw location,the book sucks in showing this!!!...Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-09, 03:38 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the service manual will have detailed instruction on how to do this properly, not ghetto like the first poster,

you will need to park your vehicle on a level area in front of a building, the service manual will tell you how far away to park, it will also tell you how high the beam should be.

adjusting it to your likes (or your wifes) might suit you, but it wont help oncoming drivers.

if you are nice to the dealer they might photocopy the page for you from the service manual, if i had it i would post it.
Old 06-30-10, 03:50 PM
kevintown
Driver School Candidate

Default Here's the factory HID adjust manual

Hope it solves the problem, with all the details:
I think it's the same for RX330 and 2003 LEXUS

ADJUST HEADLIGHT AIM ONLY
(a)Put the vehicle below conditions.
 Make sure the body around the headlight is not de-
formed.
 Park the vehicle on a level spot.
 The driver gets into the driver’s seat and puts the
vehicle in a state ready for driving (with a full tank).
 Bounce the vehicle several times.
 Tire inflation pressure is the specified value.
(b)Prepare the thick white colored paper.
(c)Stand the paper perpendicularly and ensure the distance
from it to the head lights is 9.84 ft.
(d)Ensure that the center line of vehicle and the paper are
at a 90 degree angle as shown in the illustration (H line).
(e)Draw a horizontal line on the paper where the head lights
(low beam center mark) of the vehicle are to be.
(f)Draw a vertical line on the paper where the center line of
the vehicle is to be (V center line).
(g)Draw the vertical lines on the paper where the headlights
(low beam center marks) of the vehicle are to be (V RH
and LH lines).
(h)Turn the headlights ON.
(i)Check that the head lights light up the paper as shown in
the illustration.
HINT:
As shown in the illustration, adjust aiming of the LH and RH
lights respectively.
(j)Halogen Bulb Type:
Using screwdriver, adjust the headlight in the vertical
direction.
(k)HID Type:
Adjust the headlight in the vertical direction.
(1)Turn the vertical movement adjusting bolt A in either
direction. At this time, keep the turning direction and
number of turns in mind.
(2)Turn the vertical movement adjusting bolt B the
same number of turns and in the same direction at
step (1).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HID adjust.pdf (14.0 KB, 1507 views)
Old 12-09-10, 12:04 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Here is another way which I have used effectively on a couple other vehicles-
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
Old 08-06-11, 11:27 PM
satz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to bring up this rather old thread, but was wondering whether the procedure outlined in post #1 would work on a 2007 RX 350?

I have the HID low beam and would like the beam to throw forward a few extra metres in front of me (without having to switch to high beam so often)

My instruction book (Australian version) doesn't cover headlight adjustment at all.

thanks

S
Old 08-07-11, 03:56 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

This is one of those threads that I never saw but am SO happy it was brought back. Now I can change mine!!
Old 08-09-11, 03:09 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
This is one of those threads that I never saw but am SO happy it was brought back. Now I can change mine!!
Same here, I am just wondering if anyone can show a detailed image of where the horizontal adjustment bolt is. It would be much appreciated!!

Thank you,

-Joe
Old 08-09-11, 04:46 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ yeah please?
Old 08-09-11, 09:29 PM
satz
Driver

My service manager showed me the bolt to adjust the vertical angle of the light. Seems to require an 8mm socket. I haven't tried adjusting it yet. There are two similar bolts on each headlight unit. The ones for the low beam (Xenon) are the outer ones. The inner ones do the high beam (halogen on mine)

He did stress that there was very little adjustment to be had.

Update: used the 8mm socket to turn each bolt clockwise to raise the projected headlight beam slightly!

Last edited by satz; 08-10-11 at 01:27 AM. Reason: extra update
Old 08-09-11, 11:41 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I do not have the first clue on where to find this cowling to begin with. Then I can at least take a look. Is it in the engine bay or by the passenger seat? Know what I mean? for me my drivers side lamp is way higher than my passenger side.
Old 08-10-11, 01:29 AM
satz
Driver

infinirx: the cowling is the plastic cover on the left side of the engine bay (when looking from the front of car).

This is held on by 4 x plastic 'holders'. You press the centre part of each holder with a thin screwdrive to release it.

Now..can someone tell me how to replace those holders? I can't get the centre bit to pop-up again!

Satz
Old 08-10-11, 01:37 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Oh ok I know what that is. cool!
Old 09-16-11, 01:58 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by satz
infinirx: the cowling is the plastic cover on the left side of the engine bay (when looking from the front of car).

This is held on by 4 x plastic 'holders'. You press the centre part of each holder with a thin screwdrive to release it.

Now..can someone tell me how to replace those holders? I can't get the centre bit to pop-up again!

Satz
Put each index finger on one "leg" and place your thumbs on the circular part of the holder. Stretch the "legs apart (not too far) and push with your thumbs to allow the "legs" to go around the middle part. Then place the holder back in the hole and push to lock it in. If you need more description or a video just let me know. It is very easy.

-Joe
Old 05-24-14, 04:49 PM
erickirk
Driver School Candidate

You guys might like the Youtube Video I made for this very thing. How to replace the HDI lights.

tried to make a text link - youtube.com/watch?v=97JY99KgZ1Q&list=PLD550rsqtKdbGDfshmnGGsuhzT-ozuzqo1 - How to Replace the Lexus RX330 HID Self-Leveling Headlight Assembly- Overview 1

Helpful photos >>

Click here for the URL

Last edited by erickirk; 05-24-14 at 05:09 PM. Reason: needed to add more support info
Old 05-01-15, 09:44 AM
kmar
Driver

Originally Posted by LexRex
Hi all,

My wife has been complaining about the headlights on her new RX330, saying they don't shine far enough down the road. Sure enough, the HID's are fine for low speed driving, but they don't project far enough for highway driving.

Today I set out to adjust the aim of the headlights and I wanted to share what I learned to make it easier for those who do the same in the future.

The owner's manual shows the picture of the adjustment screw and bolt on the driver's side - and I ASSUMED that the adjustment for both lamps was to be done (electronically) via just those two things on the driver side. That was wrong - there is another adjustment mechanism on the passenger side, hidden under the plastic cowling.

Removing the cowling involves pushing down the button on each of the four fasteners and lifting the fasteners out. To replace the fasteners when you are done, you need to gently spread the two "legs" on each fastener and push the legs upward. The button will extend fully upward. Insert each fastener into its hole and push the button half-way back down (to the initial position). These fasteners look very fragile.

To adjust the driver's headlight upward, turn the screw and bolt clockwise. Upward adjustment for thepassenger headlight is COUNTERclockwise - evidently the mechanisms are mirror images of one another. Don't forget to turn the screwdriver 25% more turns for the bolt than for the screw - that is, for each turn of the screw, you should go through 5 gear teeth on the adjustment bolt. (1 screwdriver turn x 4 splines per screwdriver x 1 gear tooth per spline x 1.25 multiplier = 5 gear teeth per turn). It helps to mark the screwdriver on one side so you can count how many turns you make with it.

I hope this helps someone. Please feel free to add any clarifications or other information that may be useful.
Does anyone know if this is the same for a 2015 RX 350? My dealer claims the headlights are already set a bit higher than spec and also claims there is no way to adjust them. I feel like I'm getting the run around from them, and would like to attempt adjusting them myself. As so many others report, the HID headlights don't seem to illuminate far enough down the road.

Thanks for any advice.

Quick Reply: Adjusting HID's on RX330