RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Paint quality on RX330

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-03, 09:45 AM
AngeRX330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Paint quality on RX330

I'm new to this board, and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered the same problems I have seen in only 3 weeks of driving the RX330. I have 2 rock chips on the front end, and 4 nicks in the side moldings. I am also careful where I park, and my other cars are much older and the RX330 has more paint nicks than the others that are over 3 years old!! My service guy said Lexus reduced weight by going to a thinner paint and the result is a weak protection against anything bumping the car. This is ridiculous, my work car, a daily driver Huyndai holds up better than this! I am considering filing a complaint with Lexus, it's a shame such a nice SUV can have such poor paint, it may look nice but it can't hold up under normal wear.
Old 11-24-03, 11:33 PM
apwoodr
Rookie

I have one very small (pin head size) rock chip in the front of mine. I also have had the garage door shut on the rear door (thanks to the wife) that left some minor scratches and scuffs. Most of which I was able to remove myself. It doesn't appear to be any "weaker" paint than other cars I have owned, but I don't have very many miles on ours yet.

On a related note, has anyone else tried the touch up paint? I received a free bottle from my dealer on my last service visit. I shook the bottle for several minutes and when I opened it it appeared thin and watery. I tried shaking several more minutes with the same results. When I used it on a small scratch it didn't really cover anything. Since my car is white, it looked more like skim milk than paint
Old 11-25-03, 02:49 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I definately can tell the paint on my RX330 is softer than my other cars I've owned. I heard many of the newer cars have softer paint than even a few years ago due to different EPA regulations (More environmentally friendly paint). I do have a buch of rock chips on the front hood and bumper. Also, bird droppings appear to leave an imprint much faster than other cars I've owned. My Acura Legend had a 4 coat base and 4 coat clear and held up great even after 10 years. My 92 NSX has an even better paint process and aside front the front bumper clip which has a lot of rock chips from the years and also since the car is so low, the rest of the body is nearly perfect. The car has 80K miles so its not like its a garage queen either. I think this is a trend with car manufactures now days. When they took lead out of the paint years ago the paint was much less durable. They have come along way since, but the latest crop of new car paints seem to be less durable yet again.
Old 11-25-03, 02:51 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The problem is really more the water based paints that are used by mfgrs now instead of the older, more polluting solvent based paints. They just aren't as durable or resistant to damage. Help may be on the way, though.

This is from the December issue of Road&Track in the Tech Tidbits column:

"Power From Paint Fumes?

Automakers moved away from solvent-based paints because of pollution problems with their volatile organic compounds. But clever engineering may transform these VOCs into electricity.

A Ford pilot plant has a "fumes-to-fuel" system that collects VOCs, concentrates them into hydrocarbons, then strips off the hydrogen. This is then fed to a fuel cell that generates 5 kW of electricity, enough to power an average home (or part of the industrial facility).

Next year, Ford will expand the concept to a 100-kW system. If it proves successful, the industry may well convert from water-based paints back to the solvent-based variety. Benefits would include quicker drying, less oven time and glossier finishes.

Hitherto, VOCs have been collected and incinerated. Hence, the Ford process is clearly a win-win proposition."
Old 11-25-03, 02:56 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny, I think on anther topic long ago I replied nearly the same thing, then you followed up with nearly the same info as you did just now I forgot we had this discussion before

Last edited by CK6Speed; 11-25-03 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-25-03, 10:34 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Doh!!

You're right!! The article from R&T is new, though.............

Last edited by mooretorque; 11-25-03 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-26-03, 07:52 PM
Footloose
Driver School Candidate

Yep --- I have the same problem. In 7 months (9000 miles) of highway driving I have 8 chips, all on the hood and front bumper. The 330 loaner I was given during service had several chips and it only had 3000 miles. I mentioned the chips on both vehicles to my service tech. His response was "s--t happens!" I bought a bottle of touch-up for $10 but had to wait several weeks for it.
Old 11-26-03, 09:10 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Reading this thread makes me glad that we got a clear bra installed, one day after taking delivery. Sounds like the $139 cost was well spent. No paint chips so far in about 4,800 miles of driving.
Old 11-30-03, 01:10 PM
dreday68
Rookie

YOou guys should get the simonize Teflon coating...it does wonders. Lexus will do it for you.
Old 12-01-03, 06:54 PM
AngeRX330
Driver School Candidate

Good feedback, can you elaborate on the Simonize Teflon coating? Does it cover all paint, how long does it last, what added protection does it offer, website links, typical costs...THANKS!
Old 12-02-03, 03:52 AM
crkao
Driver School Candidate

My 7 months old RX330 (12000 miles) also has a lot of paint chips. The paint is as soft as butter. (In my Lexus tech.'s words.) I am very unhappy with it.

I am wondering is this problem unique to RX330? Or the new LS430 also has the same problem?
Old 12-02-03, 03:56 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crkao, mine have had a lot of chips too imo, just seems a bit unusual compared to my much older car.
But it's a tough world out there, still it seems to me the paint should be more resilient
Old 12-02-03, 05:28 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you are correct, the paint on new cars is not as durable as before. Actually the paint is more brittle and harder than before, not softer. Think about it, the more brittle and harder it is the more its going to chip. My 2002 BMW M3 has got the worst paint job, Looks good but the paint is SOOO thin and hard, it chips so easy. My 01 RX is mineral green, so far it has held up pretty good, I have 96k on it, the front of the hood is a little chipped but better than what I thought it would be.
Old 12-02-03, 09:09 PM
eyebike
Driver

They are complaining about the same thing in the Infiniti Freshalloy forum too. So it's not isolated to Lexus. It's the new more environmentally friendly paints that are the culprits.
Old 12-03-03, 08:44 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by eyebike
It's the new more environmentally friendly paints that are the culprits.
I guess then we can feel good about it as the friendly paint chips away.

Quick Reply: Paint quality on RX330