RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX-330 noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 10:02 AM
chanr@home.net
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX-330 noise

Got my RX330 two months ago. Seems everything was fine until after the first service (1600km). I am now hearing a ticking noise from the dashboard inside the car. Bought the car back to the dealer , they said it is fine. I was told by the dealer that it is coming from the fuel regulator. They knew about this problem and had informed Lexus already. The sound is getting worst when the weather is getting cold. The sound is similar to a disel engine.

Any one else is experiencing the same noise or have an idea about this. I did call Lexus Canada and they don't have any record of such noise. My 330 is built in Japan.

Thanks
Old 11-17-03, 11:44 PM
apwoodr
Rookie

I've started to hear a faint noise around the front of the dash recently as well. I haven't had time to look into it more, but I think it might be the windshield wiper blades rattling against the windshield. It has only started doing it since the colder weather began.

I don't really notice noises in the Lexus very much since I am used to driving my work car (a Grand Am ) and it rattles like hail on a tin roof. But at least it's free!
Old 11-18-03, 08:13 AM
chanr@home.net
Driver School Candidate

Default Update from Lexus Canada

Call Lexus Canada and their second level Customer Services called me back. Here is what I was told.

1. There is a ticking noise from the fuel reguarlator
2. The noise will get worst when the weather gets cold
3. Lexus Canada knows about the problem and has been communicated to Japan
4. Japan is doing research at this moment, no ETA on the fix yet
5. There is a short term fix which may/may not work depends on the car (no mention of why)
6. The short term fix is only to lower the volume of the ticking and was ensured to me it does not affect any performance and operation of the car.
7. The short term fix is not a recall. Thus, we have to ask the dealer in order to get it. (Sounds to me my dealer does not even know such fix is exist)

Will keep everyone posted.
Old 11-18-03, 09:43 AM
Arnie72
Driver School Candidate

I to am experiencing the ticking noise. As the temperature drops it becomes more noticeable.
The dealer knew it was the fuel regulator and told me it was normal and that all Rx330's sound this way.
I'll be looking for a TSB in the very near future. Just a note, I just had the TSB for the transmisson done and it's made a great improvement in shifting. Glad I did it.
Old 11-20-03, 11:33 AM
chanr@home.net
Driver School Candidate

Update.

Appointment booked from the dealer for next Nov. 25th. I was told an engineer is flying from Japan to see this problem. In addition, they will try the temporary fix on my car.

Cross the finger.
Old 11-20-03, 12:17 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

for everyone with the ticking noise, is it coming more from the driver's side dash or not? I have a ticking noise that seems come from right behind the instrument cluster.
Old 11-20-03, 04:25 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a RX330 but I had a similiar problem on my GS430. The problem was with the A/C solenoid that control the air flow for inside and outside air mixture. The Lexus technician said that on some owners that run their A/C around 74 degree and at certain outside temperature the solenoid does not fully close properly. I used to get ticking sound that sound like someone doing morse code. The dealership replaced the solenoid and the problem has not return since. On the GS the ticking sound was behind the center console. Try playing with the temperature and air recirculation control. When I set the A/C to max cold or heat the noise stops. Turning off the A/C would also stop the noise.

Chu...
Old 11-22-03, 12:54 AM
underwoodg
Driver School Candidate

Question

I have a different noise in my RX 330. When I go over a bumpy section of road, I get a transient vibrating sound that appears to be coming from the rear interior cabin somewhere. It sounds similar to a venition blind rattling in a breeze. Anyone heard this and found the cause and solution? Thanks!
Old 11-24-03, 12:23 PM
chanr@home.net
Driver School Candidate

The noise I am experiencing is coming behind the dashboard. It is for sure not the A/C or radio as I have them both turn off to confirm the noise is still there.

Got a call from the dealer, the engineer from Japan won't be able to make it to Canada until December. I guess I have to leave with the noise until then.

It sounds to me that Lexus is aware of exactly what makes the noise. It is just a matter of how long it take to come up with a solution.

Cross the fingers again.
Old 11-24-03, 03:26 PM
eyebike
Driver

Hey underwoodg,

heard the same noise your talking about yesterday. Calling dealer attention to it when I bring it in for service on Dec 2nd. Will let you know if they find anything.
Old 12-02-03, 08:49 PM
eyebike
Driver

Lexus repair found the vibrating noise. Seems like a bolt broke underneath the car. Didnt tell my wife what that particular bolt did, but it seems fine now after the repair.
Old 12-11-03, 08:28 AM
chanr@home.net
Driver School Candidate

Default Update on temporary fix

Finally my dealer took my 330 for overnight on Tuesday. Got the car back last night. Seems the noise volume is lower. This is what I was told:

The fuel pipe from the gas tank at the back to the engine at the front runs along the side of the car and around the dash board. Clips which used to hold the pipe were made in plastic. When the fuel move along the pipe, the pipe rubs against the wall which makes the noise. They are now replacing the plastic clips with rubber clips which hopes to damp the noise. This is just an experiment and not a perm solution and I suppose to provide Lexus with feedback in a few weeks.

I will post any new information when they become available.
Old 12-21-03, 12:17 AM
nsx01
Driver School Candidate

Default need help

For all of those who have noise problem. Can you tell me where is your RX330 assembled in Japan or Canada. Thanks
Old 12-21-03, 12:41 PM
underwoodg
Driver School Candidate

Mine was made in Japan.

I think I've identified the source of the noise I described earlier. If I pull down the middle section of the back seat (the part with the arm rest in it), the noise is no longer heard when I go over bumps. Just lowering the arm rest is not sufficient - the entire part must be lowered. I haven't yet taken it to Lexus for them to figure out why this is making the noise and to fix it.
Old 12-22-03, 08:43 AM
TXAGS
Driver School Candidate

Default My RX noises

Hi there, I too have same ticking noise from the dash board/windshield area. Dealer here in Fremont claimed they fixed the ticking noise base on the TSB but noise still there.

To chanr@home.net, has that temporary problem stopped the noise permenently? Also, have you experience any vibration noise from the windshield when driving over slightly rough road?

By the way, I complained about noise from the headliner and they fixed that per another TSB. And now I have rattle noise from the tailgate. Has anyone experience this problem?

tony

Quick Reply: RX-330 noise