RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Help! RX 330 vs. BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 04:23 PM
Bandit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! RX 330 vs. BMW X5

I just got a call from my BMW dealer willing to negotiate fairly well on a 2003 X5, since the 2004 are about to come in. For those of you who know - if the pricing is close - what are your thoughts on the differences on these two vehicles? And, which would you choose? ( I am assuming since I am on the ClubLexus website.... but I thought I would get honest feedback) Btw, I have a 6 month baby, want safety, creature comforts, but also live in the mountains and have to deal with snow, ice and steep mountain passes. Thanks in advance for your feedback!!
Old 10-27-03, 04:48 PM
EvilStan
Driver School Candidate

I also wanted an X5 but picked the RX over it because of its reliability and price. An X5 equally equipped as my RX would have been $10k more. Also, Lexus has been #1 in reliability for several years running.
Old 10-27-03, 09:01 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd take the RX330 in a heartbeat.

In my opinion, the X5 simply does not measure up to the RX330. The X5 is more expensive (even with deep discount,) far less reliable, bone jarring ride, and its two-piece tailgate makes no sense. Also the BMW navigation system is a joke, if that matters.

The X5 feels more sporty to drive than the RX330, however. I personally wouldn't use an SUV for sporty driving. That's why there's Ford Mustang.
Old 10-27-03, 10:43 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I test drove an X5 3.0 right after the 330 (which I bought). The X5 has a more "sporting feeling", but that's about it. I think the 330 has everything else; comfort, luxury (I don't know of any SUV that comes close to the 330's interior), good price & reliability.
Old 10-28-03, 12:06 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hate to seem like I'm piling on but simply put, BMW has slanted the X way to the sport side of the equation. That's fine for a BMW owner who wants the higher seating position of an SUV and 4wd for nasty weather but their 5 series wagon is more functional at hauling stuff ("utility") and obviously drives much more like a BMW sedan.

The RX is likewise not designed for offroad duty but is much more on the utility, i.e., functional side of the equation. More room behind the second seat for all the baby stuff (mine are 6 and 9, so baby stuff now replaced with soccer stuff, golf stuff, tennis stuff). Plus reliability, comfort, luxury, price, etc that's already been mentioned.

Both will be fine in the slick stuff with (at least) all season tires or (better) dedicated snow tires. Don't even THINK of keeping high performance summer tires on, should the BMW be so equipped; the RX doesn't offer that option.

BUT.......it'll be your vehicle, not ours, so go drive the X, look at the interior space, try the NAV system. Ultimately, you get to decide for yourself since you need to buy what best fits you.
Old 10-28-03, 05:53 AM
lawprofs
Driver School Candidate

Owned a 2001 X5 for two years before we got the 330. There was never one day that every feature on the SAV worked. Numerous recalls. BMW did not seem to care. I've always preferred German cars, but BMW drove us away. If you look at Consumer Reports, you will see that our experience was not unique. If you go with the BMW, you better hope they have worked out all these glitches.

Last edited by lawprofs; 10-28-03 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-28-03, 09:12 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

My brother owns an X5 4.4 (V8 Version) and I really love that vehicle. But my love stems not from practicality, but from the fun factory and sportiness of the X5. I'm sure the X5 3.0 is also fun too.

If you want a more sportier look (even with the X5 3.0), go with the BMW X5 (with our without the sports package option). These vehicles have great handling and are so fun to drive. Also remember that everyone and their grandma will be driving an RX330 in the next couple of years, so the X5 will be somewhat not as common.

I'd have to admit that my RX330 has decent power and is quick and there it is fun to drive, but it's more practical and comfy as compared to a sports SUV like the X5. Overall the RX330 is a great vehicle and I really enjoy it, however it will leave you wanting more handling and power (after driving an X5 3.0).
Old 10-29-03, 08:43 AM
EvilStan
Driver School Candidate

Put the same size tires on an RX with the perfomance package and i believe the sportyness of the X5 wouldn't be that much of a difference.
Old 10-29-03, 01:04 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by EvilStan
Put the same size tires on an RX with the perfomance package and i believe the sportyness of the X5 wouldn't be that much of a difference.
I would disagree with this. I've driven the X5 and we have the Performance Pkg in our RX330. The X5 is definitely a better handler than the RX330, which has more body lean and a front-drive bias. The X5 steers better and tracks around corners more naturally. That said, I believe that handling is the only real advantage the X5 has over the RX. In a straight line, the RX and X5 3.0 are very close to each other, although the 3.0 engine note is sportier and may SOUND faster. The RX is better built, more spacious, will prove to be more reliable, has a better interior, superior NAV, and many other advantages, including price when comparably equipped. But handling is not one of them, IMO.
Old 10-29-03, 08:16 PM
firebird
Driver School Candidate

Check out the BMW Forum Sites. I too was going to buy an X5 until I drove the RX330. Dollar for dollar the RX wins hands down, to get a real price comparsion add all the extras that are standard on the RX to the X5.

The other point that won me was the ability to put a 7 Year Warranty on the Lexus for $1000 extra. I asked BMW in Australia weather if they offered this and they could only offer up to 5 years and it would cost $4500. Then when you read the fine print is was virtually useless.
Old 10-30-03, 07:59 PM
Bandit
Driver School Candidate

Default Test Drive

Well, first of all, thanks for all the candid feedback. I finally test drove the RX 330 today up the very steep, curvy mountain road and the highway as well. I must say, I was EXTREMELY surprized at how well the vehicle handled. It took the curves gracefully, both up and down the mountain pass and seemed very peppy on the highway. I guess after reading in several places about the sluggishness and body lean, I was wary. I just loved the way it felt - had the 18" Michelens on which might have helped. And, I am biased towards the German cars as I currently own a BMW 325i convertible (which I need to sell...) I am going to test the X5 tomorrow morning on the same roads just to see. But, the price is much better on the RX even with the discounts for the '03 X5 model. I am curious if the X5 will seem smaller on the interior front and back seats and cargo. Now, just to decide between the Crystal White or the Breakwater Blue!!
Old 10-31-03, 02:05 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

In my opinion for V6 Mid-sized luxury SUV in mid-thiry grands range, Lexus RX330 is the best and Infiniti FX35 is the second best.
Old 10-31-03, 02:59 PM
Manuel RX
Driver School Candidate

Default handling and TOWING capacity

Originally posted by JRB
That said, I believe that handling is the only real advantage the X5 has over the RX. In a straight line, the RX and X5 3.0 are very close to each other, although the 3.0 engine note is sportier and may SOUND faster. The RX is better built, more spacious, will prove to be more reliable, has a better interior, superior NAV, and many other advantages, including price when comparably equipped. But handling is not one of them, IMO.
X5 handles better, and also TOWS a lot more.
As a quality, everyday people-mover, the RX is tough to beat.
Old 10-31-03, 03:38 PM
Bandit
Driver School Candidate

OK, so I test drove the X5 today and it happened to be snowing - so we took it on the steep mountain pass road to see what it could do. Actually, it drove great - I really loved it! Especially, when put in Manual mode, I could downshift so easily without having to hit the brakes at all coming down the hill. The negatives though are that a Check Coolant Level light came on and the beautiful woodgrain cover that protects the CD player would not open. And these are little probs that from the BMW boards, seems to be problematic and driving people a bit crazy. But, it was fun to drive and they are negotiating on the '03.
Old 10-31-03, 04:20 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by Bandit
OK, so I test drove the X5 today and it happened to be snowing - so we took it on the steep mountain pass road to see what it could do. Actually, it drove great - I really loved it! Especially, when put in Manual mode, I could downshift so easily without having to hit the brakes at all coming down the hill.
If the manual mode is attractive you can of course get this in the RX330 if you opt for the Performance Pkg - just in case you didn't know.

Quick Reply: Help! RX 330 vs. BMW X5