RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Holy price hike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-15, 10:59 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ Completely agree. They are doing what MB did with the C class when the CLA came out. However, everyone saw the C class as a leap forward in terms of interior quality and design for its class. So far, I am not getting the same reaction with the new RX, but I guess it depends how much they are going to raise the price by. When you reach the 50-65K range, it is very hard to out class the competition.

After three generations of RX, I can pretty much say that I won't be looking at the 4RX. I hope it succeeds though.

Last edited by RXSF; 05-31-15 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 07:39 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
How do you know the Porsche blows it out of the water? No one's driven it yet. Besides, at 40mph I noticed no benefit in Cayenne handling, but I did notice the lack of dimming mirrors, tinted windows, heated seats and even bluetooth
You are right. I can only compare the current RX to the current cayenne. But that comparison is not even close from a drive ability perspective in my opinion. Also My local dealer is offering new base cayennes for $57k. They are holdovers from 2014 but they are new. Compared to a new RX these cayennes don't have standard keyless start or ventilated seats but seem to have everything else. The cayenne is, I admit, much more expensive than the RX. But the 2016 RX may close the gap a little. I would likely go CPO rather than get one cayenne too, giving me a longer warranty than a new Lexus would have. A year old CPO diesel cayenne with 10-15k miles goes for between $60-65K with the same stuff in it that a new RX has. And it gets 35mpg+ on the highway (A friend of mine has one and he got 41mpg on his last long highway trip).

My big gripe with Lexus, and why I mentioned earlier that it has an identity crisis, is that other than the RC-F and GS-F, it doesn't seem to know what kinds of cars it wants to produce. The base level GS, IS, RX, etc are all lauded for being comfortable, luxurious daily drivers. But the widespread conclusion on the RX F sport was that they took a comfy luxury car and ruined it. The suspension was too firm (and unadjustable), the engine too weak, the car too heavy, and the transmission never knew what gear it wanted to be in, and most often it was in the wrong one. I would completely agree. I regret buying mine.

Now, it appears that Lexus realizes this, which is why the new RX comes with the different drive modes, they did away with the dedicated "firm" suspension in the planned 2016 RX F sport, the engine power has been increased by more than 10%, and it apparently weighs less. So the question is whether these changes really do fix the issues with the current car. But Porsche seems to have gotten it right from a comfort / sport / power point of view, which is why the cayenne has the highest marks for customer satisfaction (even above Lexus models). My only point was that if a new RX F sport runs northward of $60K, I will be looking at other manufacturers, and Porsche will be at the top of my list. I have test driven both base and diesel versions a few times and I think it is simply a better car for the type of person who would be in the market for an RX F sport.

Last edited by viperdoc; 06-01-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 03:01 PM
RTLindsay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, as a Lexus sales person I can assure you that you will not see an RX in the $70k range. It is also highly unlikely that you will see an M.S.R.P in the $60's for a 350. When you go up to the 450h, you will likely be in the LOW $60k range(as I have a 2015 now with an M.S.R.P. of $59,019.00) for an optioned out model.

Last edited by kitlz; 06-01-15 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 03:45 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
You are right. I can only compare the current RX to the current cayenne. But that comparison is not even close from a drive ability perspective in my opinion. Also My local dealer is offering new base cayennes for $57k. They are holdovers from 2014 but they are new. Compared to a new RX these cayennes don't have standard keyless start or ventilated seats but seem to have everything else. The cayenne is, I admit, much more expensive than the RX. But the 2016 RX may close the gap a little. I would likely go CPO rather than get one cayenne too, giving me a longer warranty than a new Lexus would have. A year old CPO diesel cayenne with 10-15k miles goes for between $60-65K with the same stuff in it that a new RX has. And it gets 35mpg+ on the highway (A friend of mine has one and he got 41mpg on his last long highway trip).

My big gripe with Lexus, and why I mentioned earlier that it has an identity crisis, is that other than the RC-F and GS-F, it doesn't seem to know what kinds of cars it wants to produce. The base level GS, IS, RX, etc are all lauded for being comfortable, luxurious daily drivers. But the widespread conclusion on the RX F sport was that they took a comfy luxury car and ruined it. The suspension was too firm (and unadjustable), the engine too weak, the car too heavy, and the transmission never knew what gear it wanted to be in, and most often it was in the wrong one. I would completely agree. I regret buying mine.

Now, it appears that Lexus realizes this, which is why the new RX comes with the different drive modes, they did away with the dedicated "firm" suspension in the planned 2016 RX F sport, the engine power has been increased by more than 10%, and it apparently weighs less. So the question is whether these changes really do fix the issues with the current car. But Porsche seems to have gotten it right from a comfort / sport / power point of view, which is why the cayenne has the highest marks for customer satisfaction (even above Lexus models). My only point was that if a new RX F sport runs northward of $60K, I will be looking at other manufacturers, and Porsche will be at the top of my list. I have test driven both base and diesel versions a few times and I think it is simply a better car for the type of person who would be in the market for an RX F sport.
But then, there are things which the cayenne doesn't get right ie the ride sucks, badly, unless going for one with air suspension. From a design standpoint the RX looks like nothing else whereas the Cayenne is slightly boring to look at.

Of course, servicing costs and brakes are through the roof with Porsche too and the Cayenne Diesel is what it is, a diesel. In a straight line, the RX450h would probably match it, in fact, brake torqueing the Lexus hybrids in Sport Mode allows it to hit 60mph in 6.8s - I know, as ive done it.

Also, in the UK, owner satisfaction surveys for large SUVs has had the RX coming higher than the Cayenne, which, for a market dominated by Germans and Diesel engines pretty much sums it all up.
Old 06-02-15, 05:16 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RTLindsay
Hey guys, as a Lexus sales person I can assure you that you will not see an RX in the $70k range. It is also highly unlikely that you will see an M.S.R.P in the $60's for a 350. When you go up to the 450h, you will likely be in the LOW $60k range(as I have a 2015 now with an M.S.R.P. of $59,019.00) for an optioned out model.
Thanks for the info. That's what I figured For $70k I'd rather jump into the GX.
Old 06-02-15, 07:29 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rayaans
But then, there are things which the cayenne doesn't get right ie the ride sucks, badly, unless going for one with air suspension. From a design standpoint the RX looks like nothing else whereas the Cayenne is slightly boring to look at.

Of course, servicing costs and brakes are through the roof with Porsche too and the Cayenne Diesel is what it is, a diesel. In a straight line, the RX450h would probably match it, in fact, brake torqueing the Lexus hybrids in Sport Mode allows it to hit 60mph in 6.8s - I know, as ive done it.

Also, in the UK, owner satisfaction surveys for large SUVs has had the RX coming higher than the Cayenne, which, for a market dominated by Germans and Diesel engines pretty much sums it all up.
Good points. It was actually the initial MSRP and risk of high maintenance costs that kept me from buying the Cayenne two years ago. Almost on a daily basis I go back and forth regarding how much I love or hate my car. Cruising down the highway, love it. Mild driving with my kids in the back, love it. Go up a hill for any extended period of time or try to get anywhere quickly, the transmission sucks every bit of joy out of the car, and I get SO frustrated.

I didn't test drive the RX hybrid before I purchased my F sport and wished I had. I got a hybrid loaner a few weeks ago and it had significantly better responsiveness and power delivery than my car, especially when you have the option of a "sport" mode. Why would they make an F sport and not include that option????(at least here in the states it wasn't an option for the non-hybrid F sport).

Over the past year, there have been numerous Cayennes that have come available and I haven't pulled the trigger, which means that my apprehensions are significant (I do still worry about long term reliability, maintenance and repair costs). But I have been SO disappointed in my current car I am getting really anxious to get out of it. I keep telling myself to be patient and wait for the 2016 RXs to come out so I can test drive one, but I am getting really antsy. I appreciate the feedback from everyone though. There are so many things I love about Lexus, I just hope the price of the new RXs isn't sky high and that they fixed the couple of things that, for me, make the current F sport version horrible.
Old 06-02-15, 10:54 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Not surprised with the UK prices, however if it's any comfort, a well-kitted out RX in Thailand goes for 6,090,000 Thai Baht. That's about £ 118,000 or US$ 181,000...

All nations that have thriving auto industries charge restrictive import duties for products sourced from foreign countries. This protects domestic jobs from disappearing to developing countries that have lower labour and material costs, often due to poor working conditions.
Old 06-04-15, 07:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
Good points. It was actually the initial MSRP and risk of high maintenance costs that kept me from buying the Cayenne two years ago. Almost on a daily basis I go back and forth regarding how much I love or hate my car. Cruising down the highway, love it. Mild driving with my kids in the back, love it. Go up a hill for any extended period of time or try to get anywhere quickly, the transmission sucks every bit of joy out of the car, and I get SO frustrated.

I didn't test drive the RX hybrid before I purchased my F sport and wished I had. I got a hybrid loaner a few weeks ago and it had significantly better responsiveness and power delivery than my car, especially when you have the option of a "sport" mode. Why would they make an F sport and not include that option????(at least here in the states it wasn't an option for the non-hybrid F sport).
I dont really understand why did you buy F-sport model though, if comfort is priority? I do expect 2016 F-Sport with AVS to be a lot more comfy and a lot better drivers car than 3RX.

Hybrid does have significantly faster in-gear acceleration compared to 350. But 350 is now improved, both mpg and power. If pricing is appropriate, hybrid is still much better choice - it is advanced tech and just plain cool.

As to Porsche comparo, I am sure 4RX can be formidable opponent in some cases, but overall, there is a $20k difference in price. It is not reasonable to expect for 4RX to be better if we dont consider the price. Pricing difference is similar to base Rav4 and well equipped RX350. Thats pretty huge.
Old 06-04-15, 10:03 PM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RTLindsay
You're from Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria? So when is the RX hitting show rooms and available for test driving? There's a lot of competition by end of this year, Mercedes GLC and GLE, pricing incentives for 2015 X5's, 2016 MDX's. Will the LED headlamp be standard on the 2016 RX (as Acura did with RDX and MDX, not to mention the 3RD ROW seats)?
Old 06-05-15, 01:12 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
I dont really understand why did you buy F-sport model though, if comfort is priority? I do expect 2016 F-Sport with AVS to be a lot more comfy and a lot better drivers car than 3RX.

Hybrid does have significantly faster in-gear acceleration compared to 350. But 350 is now improved, both mpg and power. If pricing is appropriate, hybrid is still much better choice - it is advanced tech and just plain cool.

As to Porsche comparo, I am sure 4RX can be formidable opponent in some cases, but overall, there is a $20k difference in price. It is not reasonable to expect for 4RX to be better if we dont consider the price. Pricing difference is similar to base Rav4 and well equipped RX350. Thats pretty huge.
During my test drives of both base and F sport models two years ago, I noticed that the ride was firmer in the F sport, but don't recall thinking it was too firm. I liked the handling, aesthetics, and overall package of the F sport better, so I bought it, end of story. It was only after a few months of driving around did I realize that it was too firm for me. It's not uncommon for this to happen. I have known many people that love new cars initially, only to get through a few months and get rid of it. I think that with any test drive, so many things are new, it is difficult to pinpoint subtle things that may or may not come to really bother you. So, yes, comfort is a priority, but I didn't think the F sport would come to feel THAT uncomfortable. But that is my opinion, and I realize many others love it. I just won't make the same decision again...next time I will opt for the softer riding car.
Old 07-11-15, 11:17 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the comparison with Cayenne is right, it's too expensive. I would rather cross-shop it with X5 or the new Q7. Both are cheaper than the Porsche.
I'm waiting impatiently for the 16 RX. But if it comes to a few thousand bucks from a similarly configured X5/Q7, there will be no contest.
Old 07-12-15, 12:19 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be a price hike, no question about it, but it should be reasonable or the RX will lose its top spot as the most sold luxury crossover in US. Ppl are buying the RX left and right not because is the best in the segment, but because it's the best VALUE in the segment.

Lexus' (possible) strategy that everyone that suddenly cannot afford the RX would downgrade to an NX doesn't hold water. Some will do that, but most of them will jump the ship to a different brand. The NX is too small, not so refined, with puny engines.

And I don't think the extra margin gain by increasing the price on the RX will offset the loss of the disappointed customers.

They will be foolish to get into a pissing content with the Germans. We saw where that got Caddy.
Old 08-07-15, 04:15 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much official -

Lexus UK have set the Premier at £69995 without panoramic sunroof. The current RX450H Premier costs £59650 fully loaded to the same spec.

After several complains to Lexus UK from current RX450h customers and those who had put down refundable £1000 deposits which they were threatening to take back Lexus sent them to Vienna to test the new RX

It appears European RX F-Sport's dont have HUD which is standard on the F-Sport atm. Also, no luxury trim, only F-Sport and top of the line Premier are available at launch

European cars are coming standard with Safety system + to help offset the price hike.

And yes, the hype is true - the RX handles very well - night and day difference between the 3rd Gen which I have now and the new one - the RX450h feels lighter although its not and its very stable and confident. The RX200T feels great too! The 100+kg weight difference is quite significant and makes the 200t feel quite sprightly

Ride is better than before and very little body roll in F-Sport versions

but OMG the best bit - INTERIOR! Pictures don't do the interior justice - the quality is amazing! You're talking full fat Range Rover quality!! Pips BMW hand down.

Last edited by rayaans; 08-07-15 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 01:09 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is that, almost a 15% price increase? Ouch.

I guess that makes up my mind on whether or not I'm going to wait for the 2016 or buy a newer used RX.

Definitely going used now.
Old 08-10-15, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Bear in mind those are UK prices. I wouldn't assume the same will be true of US prices.

Quick Reply: Holy price hike?