RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Holy price hike?

Old 05-26-15, 12:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Hopefully it was out of thin air otherwise I'll cross it off my list. I understand Lexus wants to make the RX more upscale, but what is going to fill the current RX shoes if the price gap is huge? I have no intentions of buying an NX300h (too small, not enough power). I suppose my only option would be to buy a used 3RX.
Old 05-26-15, 12:16 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think it's at all possible as that would surpass a fully loaded GX.
Old 05-26-15, 04:58 PM
euroja153
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Canada back in 2009, the 3RX was about Cad$15k less than a similar spec BMW X5 or MB M-Class or Audi Q7. It looks like Lexus is finally catching on to the European car maker business model (have cars at every price point and size) by introducing a lower end smaller cross over (NX) and pushing their larger best selling model up in price.

I havent seen Canadian prices for the 4RX yet, but I am confident that the new RX with common options (not F-Sport though) will come in at around Cad$65k plus tax which is about Cad$7k more than the 3RX but still Cad$10k less than a current model X5/ML/Q7.

Finally cars in Canada are cheaper than in USA after so many years of it being the other way around

Last edited by euroja153; 05-26-15 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-28-15, 12:23 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I expected a considerable price hike. Lexus has set up the vehicles precisely for this to happen....the same as other manufacturers. Take Porsche...the base price for the Cayenne used to be just below $50K. A pretty good deal for a Porsche. The Macan came out and came with a.....$49K starting price. Of COURSE they had to hike the price of the Cayenne. Yes, they put additional goodies into it, with new engines, and new headlights, but they hiked the base price by more than $10K.

I got my RX F sport for $51K....MSRP was around $52K I think. Now, a fully loaded NX F sport goes for $47K. It would make NO sense to keep the pricing of the new RXs even close to that. They need separation between the vehicles price wise, and that is what they will do. They will justify the price of the RX because of all the new tech (adaptive cruise control???), a bigger, more fuel efficient engine, adjustable suspension, etc, with the theory that if the RX is too expensive, customers will get the NX. I expect the base RX F sport price (with whatever standard equipment is comes with) to be at least $58K. Add the HUD and few other options and you will reach $64-65K easily. While the new RX may be a big step up from the previous gen, I think this move will ultimately move buyers away from the RX. From a value perspective, Acura's MDX and RDX are much better than the comparative Lexus offerings. That may be the way I go if the price of the 2016 RX is, indeed, above $58K. A fully loaded AWD RDX (with lane keep assist, adaptive cruise, ventilated seats, auto wipers, etc) goes for $44K. And you get a V-6 with 280hp/253ft-lb, which gets you 0-60 in 6.1 seconds....no dealing with the piddly turbo-four in the NX.

Last edited by viperdoc; 05-28-15 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-28-15, 03:27 PM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more. I am waiting patiently for the 4th gen, but if the pricing is as high as is suggested, then for the same $$ I am looking at the Porsche or, to save a few thousand, at Acura. I am certainly not interested in the turbo 4. Hopefully, but I doubt it, pricing will not be so high.
Old 05-28-15, 09:09 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by garbo
I couldn't agree with you more. I am waiting patiently for the 4th gen, but if the pricing is as high as is suggested, then for the same $$ I am looking at the Porsche or, to save a few thousand, at Acura. I am certainly not interested in the turbo 4. Hopefully, but I doubt it, pricing will not be so high.
Yep exactly right. If I'm paying $65k I'm getting a cayenne. The only reason I'm not driving one now is because the one I wanted was $66K and the RX was a better deal. It won't be if the price goes way up. It will just be a significantly more expensive Lexus with an identity crisis, and the Porsche blows it out of the water

Last edited by viperdoc; 05-28-15 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 12:02 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I expected a considerable price hike. Lexus has set up the vehicles precisely for this to happen....the same as other manufacturers. Take Porsche...the base price for the Cayenne used to be just below $50K. A pretty good deal for a Porsche. The Macan came out and came with a.....$49K starting price. Of COURSE they had to hike the price of the Cayenne. Yes, they put additional goodies into it, with new engines, and new headlights, but they hiked the base price by more than $10K.

I got my RX F sport for $51K....MSRP was around $52K I think. Now, a fully loaded NX F sport goes for $47K. It would make NO sense to keep the pricing of the new RXs even close to that. They need separation between the vehicles price wise, and that is what they will do. They will justify the price of the RX because of all the new tech (adaptive cruise control???), a bigger, more fuel efficient engine, adjustable suspension, etc, with the theory that if the RX is too expensive, customers will get the NX. I expect the base RX F sport price (with whatever standard equipment is comes with) to be at least $58K. Add the HUD and few other options and you will reach $64-65K easily. While the new RX may be a big step up from the previous gen, I think this move will ultimately move buyers away from the RX. From a value perspective, Acura's MDX and RDX are much better than the comparative Lexus offerings. That may be the way I go if the price of the 2016 RX is, indeed, above $58K. A fully loaded AWD RDX (with lane keep assist, adaptive cruise, ventilated seats, auto wipers, etc) goes for $44K. And you get a V-6 with 280hp/253ft-lb, which gets you 0-60 in 6.1 seconds....no dealing with the piddly turbo-four in the NX.
Thanks for putting that in perspective. That's a huge price increase for technology that's in many other brands.
Your point on the Acura MDX is well taken and if you were to go a bit downstream even the Ford Edge offers a decent amount of technological goodies that I'd consider buying for my daughter. The sport edge offers a 315 HP V6 & 350lb-ft torque. Not sure she needs that but hey, nice option.
Old 05-29-15, 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
You dont understand - $73k is the price of a 450h with all the options in the US. Friend in Boston has been quoted this price at the dealer.
With all the options...maybe. Most cars delivered are not going to be this spec though.
Old 05-29-15, 02:58 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep exactly right. If I'm paying $65k I'm getting a cayenne. The only reason I'm not driving one now is because the one I wanted was $66K and the RX was a better deal. It won't be if the price goes way up. It will just be a significantly more expensive Lexus with an identity crisis, and the Porsche blows it out of the water
How do you know the Porsche blows it out of the water? No one's driven it yet. Besides, at 40mph I noticed no benefit in Cayenne handling, but I did notice the lack of dimming mirrors, tinted windows, heated seats and even bluetooth
Old 05-29-15, 03:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

$65,000 doesn't get you much of a Cayenne lol

I have no doubt a loaded 4RX will approach $65k.
Old 05-29-15, 05:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

$65k is base Cayenne with leather... You are right that F-Sport will likely be around $65k loaded... but there is a wast difference between the two... base RX350h with 18" wheels and leather will likely be between $15k and $20k less expensive than Cayenne, and loaded models will be even more of an difference... Porsche is probably bad comparison, it should be compared to X5 or Q7.
Old 05-29-15, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And I seriously doubt someone is going to shop a FWD based RX with a Porsche Cayenne...
Old 05-30-15, 12:56 PM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
$65k is base Cayenne with leather... You are right that F-Sport will likely be around $65k loaded... but there is a wast difference between the two... base RX350h with 18" wheels and leather will likely be between $15k and $20k less expensive than Cayenne, and loaded models will be even more of an difference... Porsche is probably bad comparison, it should be compared to X5 or Q7.

So you would guess that the base RX $45k -$50k??
Old 05-30-15, 08:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
$65,000 doesn't get you much of a Cayenne lol

I have no doubt a loaded 4RX will approach $65k.
I have no doubt either seeing as how my fully loaded '11 RX had a sticker of 63K. I would expect the 16RXh to be around 67K fully loaded
Old 05-31-15, 05:57 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

...and as a comparison point in-line with RXSF's '11, my fully-loaded (including PCS, Nav, HUD, ML, Parking Assist, Comfort, Luxury & Towing Pkgs, etc) 2013 RX450h also had a sticker of $63K including destination charges.

I won't even try to guess what the new MSRP will be at this stage as I firmly believe it's anyone's guess outside Lexus' Executive Suites. Setting consumer price is a huge balancing act. As I've said though, I do believe most auto mfgrs tend to do a major price reset if there is going to be one with new generation introductions, and more limited price increases MY-to-MY within the same gen as their need and ability to recoup development cost in out years goes down -- history IMHO, not just with the 3RX, points that way. I fully expect the RX to go up and reposition itself with a wider MSRP gap above what we see with the relatively new NX and 3rd Gen RX today. We'll then have to see if the perhaps younger and more social-media vocal potential buyers Lexus seems to be targeting with 4th gen design elements, have the dollars, stop talking, and step up to the plate to actually purchase more volume than more stodgy past owners like me may do -- I hope so for Lexus' sake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holy price hike?