RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Holy price hike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-15, 04:43 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Holy price hike?

Just got this from the dealer:

WTF?

Bare in mind I paid less than £54k for my RX450h F-Sport with ML and Metallic paint (HUD, Sat Nav etc all standard)

That's a £15k price hike!

Last edited by rayaans; 05-23-15 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-23-15, 09:49 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this for a 4th Gen 2016 RX350? RX450h?
Old 05-23-15, 10:03 AM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I will go out of state to buy my 2016 RX, but sure won’t buy out of country. Yikes!

Think we will have more than the usual yearly basic MSRP increase here in the states, but nothing excessive. Bigger size and upgraded inside and outside standard features and materials requires some price increase. Option prices to be decided also, but so far what a bargain for the Lexus Safety System Plus.
Old 05-23-15, 02:04 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

This isthe basic price for an RX450h Premier, top of the line model. Seen as though the starting price for an RX450h is currently $47k and for us its £45k, expect a price of around $72k.

450h F sport is around £66k

Edit - got off the phone to a friend in Boston. RX price quoted to him was $73k
Old 05-23-15, 02:07 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by go3Ds
I will go out of state to buy my 2016 RX, but sure won’t buy out of country. Yikes!

Think we will have more than the usual yearly basic MSRP increase here in the states, but nothing excessive. Bigger size and upgraded inside and outside standard features and materials requires some price increase. Option prices to be decided also, but so far what a bargain for the Lexus Safety System Plus.
The safety system+ is so cheap because the rest of the car is going to be very expensive. They're more than compensating with the price of the vehicle
Old 05-23-15, 07:44 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I appreciate the POV, but I'll personally hold judgement especially attempting to compare across-country until official MSRP and detailed standard features are made available by country so we can try to align things up Gen 3 to Gen 4 and option-to-option. IMHO there will certainly be an increase even if we could compare similar options gen-to-gen, and likely an increase that further distinguishes the aged 3rd Gen RX even more from what we've seen with MSRP on it's first gen little brother, the NX that is barely a year old. For me, It's very hard to judge price given each country tends to put base models and available options together differently; the varying exchange rates and effect that has on all products around the world -- not just automobiles; new gens with new features not previously available perhaps give the mfgr an easier opportunity to reset prices more than what is possible with a simple MY change; and prevailing out-the-door prices sometimes end-up being below the sticker auto dealers charge their customers in some countries where there may be more competition even between Lexus dealers within a few miles of one another (I for example have 5 Lexus dealerships within 30 minutes of my home -- and I live in the suburbs of "only" the 8th largest city in the U.S.). IMHO, people that want to be first owning a new generation model are going to probably pay close to list and likely more for that privilege compared to if they purchased the same vehicle even a few months later, so that's another consideration.

For those that want to speculate on out-the-door pricing, please have at it -- but for me, it's just a lot of chatter without a lot more official specifics, and because I believe every auto mfgr can command some of the highest prices in the first months of a new model year and generation for those that want or need to be first in line. I'm not dissing those that do this, and am really happy for those that are willing to step up, put their money down now, and be one of the first to hopefully report back to us on real hands-on first impressions of the new RX -- how exciting is that -- been there, done that a couple of times with Lexus myself, and it's hard to top the excitement. Oh yeah!!!
Old 05-24-15, 08:58 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BertL
I appreciate the POV, but I'll personally hold judgement especially attempting to compare across-country until official MSRP and detailed standard features are made available by country so we can try to align things up Gen 3 to Gen 4 and option-to-option. IMHO there will certainly be an increase even if we could compare similar options gen-to-gen, and likely an increase that further distinguishes the aged 3rd Gen RX even more from what we've seen with MSRP on it's first gen little brother, the NX that is barely a year old. For me, It's very hard to judge price given each country tends to put base models and available options together differently; the varying exchange rates and effect that has on all products around the world -- not just automobiles; new gens with new features not previously available perhaps give the mfgr an easier opportunity to reset prices more than what is possible with a simple MY change; and prevailing out-the-door prices sometimes end-up being below the sticker auto dealers charge their customers in some countries where there may be more competition even between Lexus dealers within a few miles of one another (I for example have 5 Lexus dealerships within 30 minutes of my home -- and I live in the suburbs of "only" the 8th largest city in the U.S.). IMHO, people that want to be first owning a new generation model are going to probably pay close to list and likely more for that privilege compared to if they purchased the same vehicle even a few months later, so that's another consideration.

For those that want to speculate on out-the-door pricing, please have at it -- but for me, it's just a lot of chatter without a lot more official specifics, and because I believe every auto mfgr can command some of the highest prices in the first months of a new model year and generation for those that want or need to be first in line. I'm not dissing those that do this, and am really happy for those that are willing to step up, put their money down now, and be one of the first to hopefully report back to us on real hands-on first impressions of the new RX -- how exciting is that -- been there, done that a couple of times with Lexus myself, and it's hard to top the excitement. Oh yeah!!!
You dont understand - $73k is the price of a 450h with all the options in the US. Friend in Boston has been quoted this price at the dealer.

Over here in the UK its gone up by an insane £15k to £70k lol. What are they thinking. Thats not a moderate increase, thats a monumental increase for 5 extra inches of metal, a new interior and exterior and some additional features. How can they justify increasing the price by that much?
Old 05-24-15, 03:10 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Over here in the UK its gone up by an insane £15k to £70k lol. What are they thinking. Thats not a moderate increase, thats a monumental increase for 5 extra inches of metal, a new interior and exterior and some additional features. How can they justify increasing the price by that much?
Sadly enough I am not surprised at all. I am looking at the NX 300h since my CT is 3 years old now. But the price tag for the Premier package for NX is completely insane. I think it costs about £ 43 in UK Honestly, for that car and that performance ? Dont get me wrong, its a nice car, but the only way I would even consider that car is in base configuration with AWD.

As I said in other threads: Lexus still has the previous generation hybrid systems in NX and RX ( engine and battery ) and is not avaliable as plug-in. It will most likely have less performance and lower mpg than upcoming Audis, BMW:s and Volvos as well. And last, I highly doubt its more exciting to drive a NX or RX than the others.

In other words, I would for sure go for the base configuration when it comes to NX and RX.
Old 05-24-15, 04:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

You dont understand - $73k is the price of a 450h with all the options in the US. Friend in Boston has been quoted this price at the dealer.

dont get the top model then?

Also, top of the spec UK right now MSRP is £59.3k officially.
Old 05-25-15, 08:41 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
dont get the top model then?

Also, top of the spec UK right now MSRP is £59.3k officially.
Thats true but the 2016 Premier was in base spec £70,055 without any options on. The current RX Premier is £56k with no options.

Im particularly looking for the F-Sport but damn, might be looking for a 4-5 months old one now! Itll lose £12k over 5 months anyway lol
Old 05-25-15, 08:46 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Sadly enough I am not surprised at all. I am looking at the NX 300h since my CT is 3 years old now. But the price tag for the Premier package for NX is completely insane. I think it costs about £ 43 in UK Honestly, for that car and that performance ? Dont get me wrong, its a nice car, but the only way I would even consider that car is in base configuration with AWD.

As I said in other threads: Lexus still has the previous generation hybrid systems in NX and RX ( engine and battery ) and is not avaliable as plug-in. It will most likely have less performance and lower mpg than upcoming Audis, BMW:s and Volvos as well. And last, I highly doubt its more exciting to drive a NX or RX than the others.

In other words, I would for sure go for the base configuration when it comes to NX and RX.
Premier does have the HUD, ML, adaptive cruise control as standard though on the NX.

RX450h drivetrain has been updated with the new 3.5L engine from the 2016 RX350 actually. Its been de-tuned however. Also, no official wording on the power output - they did say aiming for 300hp but its 299 already, Im guessing they'll hit about 310hp.

Of course, nothing has been said about the actual hybrid system, it may have been updated (especially since the RX was always the pioneer for Lexus in terms of hybrid drivetrains)

Also, use of aluminium in all openings will help with weight. Also, nothing in terms of actual weight, if they've focused on reducing weight, its perfectly plausible for the RX450h to hit 60 in 6 seconds.
Old 05-25-15, 03:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Thats true but the 2016 Premier was in base spec £70,055 without any options on. The current RX Premier is £56k with no options.

Im particularly looking for the F-Sport but damn, might be looking for a 4-5 months old one now! Itll lose £12k over 5 months anyway lol
yeah, but it has a lot more things standard now... i doubt 70k one will have options like now.

4-5 months old sounds good... Around here, taxes are so high, it will be like €130k loaded, which is funny money. So I dont have much problems with buying base versions anymore that are slightly used.
Old 05-26-15, 07:41 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a hard time believing a loaded 450h is going up by $7,000.
Old 05-26-15, 10:18 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
I have a hard time believing a loaded 450h is going up by $7,000.
Ditto, especially with the mounting competition, there are more alternatives if it jumps into that price range. For example, the new plug-in SUVs (GLE 550e, Q7 e-Tron, X5 xDrive40e) might come down to the price of a loaded 450h with tax credit incentives. Then there's the Tesla Model X:

"Prices for the Model S sedan include a 60-kilowatt-hour version for $69,900 and an 85-kilowatt-hour model for $79,900. Many buyers are eligible for a $7,500 federal tax credit."

http://www.plugincars.com/tesla-model-x

And then add low cost fuel prices in the US...how can they justify a price increase for a new exterior design, same engine with a little more power, and many added features that have been available on other brands such as Ford (pano sunroof, electronic parking brake, 20" wheels, touch free lift gate, etc.)?
Old 05-26-15, 11:17 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Ditto, especially with the mounting competition, there are more alternatives if it jumps into that price range. For example, the new plug-in SUVs (GLE 550e, Q7 e-Tron, X5 xDrive40e) might come down to the price of a loaded 450h with tax credit incentives. Then there's the Tesla Model X:

"Prices for the Model S sedan include a 60-kilowatt-hour version for $69,900 and an 85-kilowatt-hour model for $79,900. Many buyers are eligible for a $7,500 federal tax credit."

http://www.plugincars.com/tesla-model-x

And then add low cost fuel prices in the US...how can they justify a price increase for a new exterior design, same engine with a little more power, and many added features that have been available on other brands such as Ford (pano sunroof, electronic parking brake, 20" wheels, touch free lift gate, etc.)?
I was confused with this price. Therefore I got in touch with the financial manager for Lexus UK. Apparently I may have been given a "made up " figure as even Lexus UK didn't know the price as Lexus Europe has not set it yet.

He was pretty unhappy with the invoice which I attached. That either means the price is real and has been leaked, or...... the supplying dealership has just picked a numbee out of the air

Quick Reply: Holy price hike?