RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Holy price hike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 02:34 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Lexus will probably wait for Model X pricing in the US?

If they raise the price too much, they are going to lose a huge amount of customers to Tesla, especially for the 450h.

Regardless the Model X will probably have the same effect Model S had in the market, so if Lexus loses their position as a european-alternative value luxury brand, they will be in serious trouble with their #1 bread and butter car.
Old 08-10-15, 04:16 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Lexus will probably wait for Model X pricing in the US?

If they raise the price too much, they are going to lose a huge amount of customers to Tesla, especially for the 450h.

Regardless the Model X will probably have the same effect Model S had in the market, so if Lexus loses their position as a european-alternative value luxury brand, they will be in serious trouble with their #1 bread and butter car.
US pricing may well not follow what reports are coming in from Great Britain and Japan in these forums -- I continue to just wait until true US Lexus pricing is released which won't be too long now as the Fall is just around the corner. I doubt Lexus will be totally stupid in their decisions, but I do expect a hefty increase as previously discussed, in part to set the RX apart from the NX as well as position the initial 5-seater RX for when a 7-seater comes out...

I'm still waiting to see final specs on 2016 RX450h, but with what some seeming in the know folks have reported here along with trade press, it appears the initial RX hybrid components will be nearly identical to 2nd and 3rd Gen RX. IMHO, given that, Lexus will likely do an early update to the 450h hybrid components after the next gen Prius comes out that is reported to have tweaked improvements to the hybrid MPG, improved electric-only distance, etc that I know most RXh owners would love to see in the Lexus line as well. It's why if I were in the market, I at least would be cautious buying a US 2016 450h at the onset until we see what plays out for a fact in the Prius line. I purchased a 400h here in the US the first month they were available, and that was well after the original Prius had been in the market. Lexus RX hybrid components have stayed almost the same all these years into the 3rd Gen and it appears to perhaps be into at least the early part of the 4th, so to me, it makes sense that Lexus will beef-up the 450h hybrid after 2016 Prius makes it into the market, unless Lexus were to do something really tricky marketing-wise (especially if Lexus is supposed to be THE performance brand of Toyota's future) and make the 450h first with the next gen hybrid... We don't know if Lexus will elect to make the 200t model available in the US, like apparently in other countries, or perhaps just when, but the whole 4th Gen 450h at initial introduction would be a scary decision timing-wise for me given the next gen Prius on the horizon...

IMHO, Tesla Model X isn't as much of a competitor to an RX Hybrid given the Model S & X are electric-only and have their distance/recharge limitations for those (like me) that worry about having to plan road trips between charging stations -- and of course, we don't know pricing on a Model X (or 450h in the US) for that matter. I've been reading more about Tesla lately, and given recharge times and places I travel 3-4X/year on road trips where I do some 300-400 miles/day, I'd have to rent or maintain a second gas-only or true hybrid vehicle to use, so I wasn't planning each trip around where recharging locations are, or if there are not any, how I could ensure I both find and am able to use a more readily available 110V extension cord to recharge my Tesla for say 7 hours to get another 200 miles out of it at a hotel/motel or even a friend's home that won't have 240V or a Tesla station for me to do a 30-min/200-mile recharge... Finding an empty plug at an airport to recharge a USB device is one thing; finding a plug for a car is another as places are just beginning to put that sort of infrastructure in place. More are, but still, it's in it's infancy. As much as I like the concept Tesla is after with all-electric and I could really see myself in one, one day, distance and recharging times remain my immediate concern -- it would work 95% of the time for my situation, but I really don't want to have to rent or own another vehicle for that 5% where I'd really rather have my own car on the long and winding roads, and where a hybrid could serve both of my purposes as it does today.
Old 08-11-15, 12:35 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
US pricing may well not follow what reports are coming in from Great Britain and Japan in these forums -- I continue to just wait until true US Lexus pricing is released which won't be too long now as the Fall is just around the corner. I doubt Lexus will be totally stupid in their decisions, but I do expect a hefty increase as previously discussed, in part to set the RX apart from the NX as well as position the initial 5-seater RX for when a 7-seater comes out...

I'm still waiting to see final specs on 2016 RX450h, but with what some seeming in the know folks have reported here along with trade press, it appears the initial RX hybrid components will be nearly identical to 2nd and 3rd Gen RX. IMHO, given that, Lexus will likely do an early update to the 450h hybrid components after the next gen Prius comes out that is reported to have tweaked improvements to the hybrid MPG, improved electric-only distance, etc that I know most RXh owners would love to see in the Lexus line as well. It's why if I were in the market, I at least would be cautious buying a US 2016 450h at the onset until we see what plays out for a fact in the Prius line. I purchased a 400h here in the US the first month they were available, and that was well after the original Prius had been in the market. Lexus RX hybrid components have stayed almost the same all these years into the 3rd Gen and it appears to perhaps be into at least the early part of the 4th, so to me, it makes sense that Lexus will beef-up the 450h hybrid after 2016 Prius makes it into the market, unless Lexus were to do something really tricky marketing-wise (especially if Lexus is supposed to be THE performance brand of Toyota's future) and make the 450h first with the next gen hybrid... We don't know if Lexus will elect to make the 200t model available in the US, like apparently in other countries, or perhaps just when, but the whole 4th Gen 450h at initial introduction would be a scary decision timing-wise for me given the next gen Prius on the horizon...

IMHO, Tesla Model X isn't as much of a competitor to an RX Hybrid given the Model S & X are electric-only and have their distance/recharge limitations for those (like me) that worry about having to plan road trips between charging stations -- and of course, we don't know pricing on a Model X (or 450h in the US) for that matter. I've been reading more about Tesla lately, and given recharge times and places I travel 3-4X/year on road trips where I do some 300-400 miles/day, I'd have to rent or maintain a second gas-only or true hybrid vehicle to use, so I wasn't planning each trip around where recharging locations are, or if there are not any, how I could ensure I both find and am able to use a more readily available 110V extension cord to recharge my Tesla for say 7 hours to get another 200 miles out of it at a hotel/motel or even a friend's home that won't have 240V or a Tesla station for me to do a 30-min/200-mile recharge... Finding an empty plug at an airport to recharge a USB device is one thing; finding a plug for a car is another as places are just beginning to put that sort of infrastructure in place. More are, but still, it's in it's infancy. As much as I like the concept Tesla is after with all-electric and I could really see myself in one, one day, distance and recharging times remain my immediate concern -- it would work 95% of the time for my situation, but I really don't want to have to rent or own another vehicle for that 5% where I'd really rather have my own car on the long and winding roads, and where a hybrid could serve both of my purposes as it does today.
I hope you are right about that US pricing except for that 'hefty' part. :P

As for Tesla, while it may not fit your use case (though at 95%, it might just!), Model S has shown that it has and will fit the use case for many people. It ate into luxury sedan sales and the Model X will too, at an anticipated 50-55k units/year. That's half of RX sales right there and puts Model X into the top 5 luxury SUV makers. This means that the current top 5 is going to lose a lot of their usual buyers.

You could also debate that if you have a better driving experience and better features with the Model X 95% of the time (of course better is subjective and to be determined), it may be worthwhile to just rent a car for those 3-4 roadtrips a year. Plus, I suspect Tesla owners are not single car owners. Charging issues only apply to your fringe case and probably would not affect most people's daily commute.

In my ideal world, I would have three cars - a wrangler for backcountry and road trips, a sports coupe like yourself, and an SUV for comfortable daily commute. Some would have minivan or extra large SUV in replacement of the wrangler and of course sports coupe optional.

My two cents - it's all highly subjective and speculative!
Eric
Old 08-12-15, 03:38 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I hope you are right about that US pricing except for that 'hefty' part. :P

As for Tesla, while it may not fit your use case (though at 95%, it might just!), Model S has shown that it has and will fit the use case for many people. It ate into luxury sedan sales and the Model X will too, at an anticipated 50-55k units/year. That's half of RX sales right there and puts Model X into the top 5 luxury SUV makers. This means that the current top 5 is going to lose a lot of their usual buyers.

You could also debate that if you have a better driving experience and better features with the Model X 95% of the time (of course better is subjective and to be determined), it may be worthwhile to just rent a car for those 3-4 roadtrips a year. Plus, I suspect Tesla owners are not single car owners. Charging issues only apply to your fringe case and probably would not affect most people's daily commute.

In my ideal world, I would have three cars - a wrangler for backcountry and road trips, a sports coupe like yourself, and an SUV for comfortable daily commute. Some would have minivan or extra large SUV in replacement of the wrangler and of course sports coupe optional.

My two cents - it's all highly subjective and speculative!
Eric
The Model X looks crap lol
Old 08-12-15, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Looks are subjective. The Model S has done very well, and I have no doubt that the demand extends to an SUV style vehicle. The Model X will do very well.