RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

experience with special orders

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 06:21 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Default experience with special orders

Hello.

Does anyone have any experience with special ordering their RX from the dealers?

As in the exact color, all the options they want, down to the tires! Basically, building exactly what you want online and getting what you want at the dealer.

If so, how difficult was it and how early did you have to get it done?

This will be in regards to the new 2016 RX that is most likely coming out at the end of this year. I just want to be ready and know when to contact the dealer. Also, is MSRP of the car the same as the price listed online if you were to build a car?

THanks!
Old 04-29-15, 07:49 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many people on this forum have ordered cars from dealers (myself included).
While I didn't ask for specific tires, you can request them (the plant probably won't put what you want on there, but the dealer can change them out).
As for getting exactly what you want, I'll say it's close. In my instance, the luxury package didn't come in the color combination I wanted, so I had to go with the Premium Package, but added all kinds of option to make it close to a luxury package.
As for pricing, I was able to get around 5% off. There are others on here who didn't get a dime off of MSRP, and I expect it to be difficult to get anything off of the new 2016 model.
The dealer has to go off of their build sheet....so you can only get the color combinations that are on the brochure. (you can't get fire agate pearl with a gray interior for instance).
There may be a couple of more "gotchas" that will come up, but they are rare.

I would contact your dealer and get in contact with a sales rep. They won't know much more than you at this point, but once they have a build sheet, they should be able to call you to get things rolling. If you are ready, I would order as soon as possible as there will be many others doing the same thing. Expect to wait about 3 months before you get your car.
Old 04-29-15, 08:22 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Special ordered a 2015 in April, 2014. Best I could do is 2% under MSRP. Dealer said it would take between three and four months to receive the vehicle. It took seven weeks. In retrospect I regret it. Threw away at least $1,000.
Old 04-29-15, 05:06 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, there was a recent sidebar question and subsequent discussion started by another member over in the 4th Gen Reveal Thread that starts at THIS POST and continues for a few posts over there that may provide some additional perspective. My post #861 in that stream provides part of my experience special ordering, including rough timelines and how that may apply to a new model introduction.

Post back here with more specific questions after you take a peek at that, and we're happy to help. I've special-ordered my last 3 Lexi as well as a BMW and MBZ in more recent years, and two of my Lexus were ordered in advance of General Availability which does add a few considerations as to what the dealer can and can't do so early in the process. Basically, your expectations and flexibility need to be a bit more relaxed if you want to try and be one of the first, than once models start hitting showrooms and dealers have a much better understanding of options, configurations, and some detail that's never crystal clear with only photos, speculation and marketing literature. FWIW, I've had no issues ever getting what I wanted in terms of configurable Lexus options, IF I've been willing to wait for it -- which I am with such a major purchase that I intend to keep 6-8 years. For whatever reason, what I have had a challenge with is tire negotiation at now 3 different dealerships in 2 States on my last 3 Lexus. Dealers cannot specify what kind of tires come on the vehicle from the plant (although the 2016 RX will have an TBD option with some new special Michelins that are part of it as highlighted in the reveal notes), but for the most part, it has to be handled at a Dealership level if the tires you wanted do not arrive on the vehicle. While some here have had dealers swap new tires for them, my experience has been that not every dealer is willing to do a wheel/tire swap at no cost -- especially if you end up with one of the first of a certain vehicle with unique wheels, so it may become a negotiation point in your deal, or something you have to concede on to get everything else you desire without breaking the bank.
Old 05-11-15, 09:56 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

thanks for the tips guys!