RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: Is the 2016 RX "Classy" ?
YES, Classy!
48.51%
NOT classy and I don't like the styling.
24.68%
NOT classy but I DO like the styling.
26.81%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 01:55 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me it will depend on what the interior looks/feels like and how it drives.

I have owned my RX F sport for over two years and have become pretty disappointed with it. The car is too heavy, the engine too weak, and the throttle performance and tranny mapping are absolutely horrible. Hunting for gears....throttle lag big time..... Driving my wife's 2014 MDX makes me realize it's not because of "drive by wire" system factors either...it's just a bad design by lexus.

The F sports in the states also do NOT get the "sport mode" option unless you have the hybrid, which I think is a big fail. The suspension in my F sport is so firm it's like the equivalent of being stuck in Sport++ mode, while the transmission is set for optimum MPGs. The car doesn't seem like it knows what it wants to be. It's so uncomfortable on even slightly rough roads that you'd think you were in a real sports car, but you step on the pedal and it drives like it's stuck in ECO mode.

The tech in the new RX seems to have addressed virtually ALL of these issues- larger engine, apparently the car went on a diet, and an adjustable suspension with Eco/Normal/Sport/Sport+ settings that also adjusts throttle sensitivity. I am a little turned off by the exterior styling, at least in pictures, but if it really does hit 60 in 6 seconds or less, and has better throttle and tranny feel, I won't care as much about how the front end looks.
Old 05-25-15, 09:51 AM
onefastdoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc

I have owned my RX F sport for over two years and have become pretty disappointed with it. The car is too heavy, the engine too weak, and the throttle performance and tranny mapping are absolutely horrible. Hunting for gears....throttle lag big time..... Driving my wife's 2014 MDX makes me realize it's not because of "drive by wire" system factors either...it's just a bad design by lexus.

The F sports in the states also do NOT get the "sport mode" option unless you have the hybrid, which I think is a big fail. The suspension in my F sport is so firm it's like the equivalent of being stuck in Sport++ mode, while the transmission is set for optimum MPGs. The car doesn't seem like it knows what it wants to be. It's so uncomfortable on even slightly rough roads that you'd think you were in a real sports car, but you step on the pedal and it drives like it's stuck in ECO mode.

The tech in the new RX seems to have addressed virtually ALL of these issues- larger engine, apparently the car went on a diet, and an adjustable suspension with Eco/Normal/Sport/Sport+ settings that also adjusts throttle sensitivity. I am a little turned off by the exterior styling, at least in pictures, but if it really does hit 60 in 6 seconds or less, and has better throttle and tranny feel, I won't care as much about how the front end looks.
Agreed. I dumped our RX for a 2014 MDX which drives a lot better and gets much better fuel economy (and has a 3rd row).

As far as styling, I did recently evaluate the next gen BMW X5 and X7 (2016 and 2017 models) and the styling was very nice and refined. The new RX is definitely not nearly as refined looking. Looks like Lexus tried to hard to make it look cool and failed. I think you guys will like the X7 when it comes out.
Old 05-26-15, 01:43 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastdoc
Agreed. I dumped our RX for a 2014 MDX which drives a lot better and gets much better fuel economy (and has a 3rd row).

As far as styling, I did recently evaluate the next gen BMW X5 and X7 (2016 and 2017 models) and the styling was very nice and refined. The new RX is definitely not nearly as refined looking. Looks like Lexus tried to hard to make it look cool and failed. I think you guys will like the X7 when it comes out.
2016 RX vs 2016 X5 face off:

Not convinced on either SUV.
Old 05-26-15, 05:05 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc

My 450h has none of the issues mentioned - I think it rides pretty well in all honesty - better than the X5 or Q7 anyway.
Old 05-26-15, 05:56 PM
euroja153
Driver

It's fair to say most people who don't like the car have an issue with the front. No one has complained about the extra length, the rear, the interior.

At first glance I hated the car, said to myself I could never drive that in a million years.......... but as others have said, Lexus comes out with radical designs and then people get used to them and appreciate it.

I still dislike the front of the car, but I have thought a way to make it less ugly. Buy a black F-Sport and the black mesh grille will blend in with the rest of the car so the "mouth" looks less large (and less ugly)
Old 06-10-15, 12:03 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While having the IS 350C in for service I decided to do a looksy at the various Lexus offerings. Thought I'd give the front end of these cars a fair shake and perhaps would change my mind if I saw it in person. Not happening. Nada, zilch...
Looked at the NX that was on the dealership floor ( which had a sold sign) and could not believe how massive the front end was. Definitely out of proportion to the rest of the vehicle fascia that would have been better suited on a Ford truck. Viewing it from different angles didn't help change my perception of it. I thought "this is bigger than my BBQ grill at home".
Now on the other vehicles it didn't look too bad being a tad smaller or perhaps that was deceptive? On the 2015 loaner it seemed that they tried to comprise and made half of it bars and the other the new grill but in doing so had me dislike both. Looking at the new front grills on the cars in person, they seemed better proportioned, a tad smaller & better looking. On that NX? Aya....
Attached Thumbnails Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?-img_20150608_092556_652.jpg  

Last edited by rxonmymind; 06-10-15 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-12-15, 09:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I can't imagine how dirty it'll get behind the grille after a couple of years.
Old 06-13-15, 10:36 AM
hhss
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When I first saw the car i was very skeptical but after seeing more of it and its features, I believe again this will be another success for Lexus.
Old 06-20-15, 12:44 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It reminds me a lot of the new Murano

Old 06-22-15, 02:13 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Buggin' Out

Originally Posted by GSteg
I can't imagine how dirty it'll get behind the grille after a couple of years.
My brother who owns two RX's in Tampa agrees. Evidently there is some sort of Florida summer bugfest that already causes mucho splat on the grills of cars. He believes the complicated new RX F-Sport grill will be ridiculously difficult to clean.

Won't stop me...thankfully I get very little buggage where I live in NC.
Old 06-22-15, 04:16 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
My brother who owns two RX's in Tampa agrees. Evidently there is some sort of Florida summer bugfest that already causes mucho splat on the grills of cars. He believes the complicated new RX F-Sport grill will be ridiculously difficult to clean.

Won't stop me...thankfully I get very little buggage where I live in NC.
They're called love bugs and this is what happens. Crazy.
Attached Thumbnails Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?-love-bug-obliteration.jpg  
Old 06-22-15, 04:36 PM
antonios32
Rookie

Originally Posted by tqh
Me too. I am very disappointed in the RX16, it's not classy at all. I am glad I grabbed the '15 last year, maybe I'll keep it until the RX 2022 comes out?

Also I was looking forward to replacing my Camry with the ES, but the ES 16 that just came out today also takes on that hideous grille.
Agreed but the ES practically looks exactly the same...
Old 06-26-15, 03:25 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, I like this new RX, however it has to be these wheels and those other fugly looking ones. Who does their wheel designs though??

Originally Posted by rayaans

Old 09-15-15, 04:14 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsinsyder
It reminds me a lot of the new Murano

I read somewhere that the gentleman who designed the Murano actually penned the 2016 RX.
Old 09-15-15, 08:42 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Add me to the camp of people who thinks this RX is classy and good looking. I am 35 years old and I really like this design compared to the previous generations of the RX. Before this 2016 model I would have never considered any previous generation of the RX because i feel they were bland and very feminine design. I can only see older women ever get excited buying one of the older models. So far I think Lexus hit another home run and this time I will be throwing money at the Lexus salesman to get me into one asap.

I really like the spindle grill. I wish my 2014 Lexus GS has a bigger grill. I remember in the late 90s and mid 2000s every car from every car manufatuer had old bland design with boring interiors. I am grateful that now i am at the age i can afford cars that every car manufactuer is going the radical route and making cars more bold and flashy but still classy. Mercedes, Lexus, Hyundai, Mazda, Volvo and Audi all have vehicles i have considered buying because they have designs that are not bland, well at least not any more. The best part about the New RX is it's interior. And i do agree that the nav screen could have been better intergrated into the dash like the one on my 14 GS. But that is not a deal breaker for me.

Although the rear hatch glass and corners limit visibility and makes the rear interior seem dark. I feel the panorama roof will help lighten up the rear interior a little bit. And finally we get bird view surround monitor. And a real usable HUD unlike the old one on the previous model that looked like an after thought.
I cant wait to get my hands on one. I will be special ordering one with all the bells and whitsle....and boy does this new redesign has alot of tech and gadgets. Can't hardly wait.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?