RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: Is the 2016 RX "Classy" ?
YES, Classy!
48.51%
NOT classy and I don't like the styling.
24.68%
NOT classy but I DO like the styling.
26.81%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 03:55 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

looks great! Nothing like it out on the road, personally, I think it has even more presence than the NX, probably due to the size of it!

For all you guys complaining about it being ugly, I disagree! Its not "pretty" in the sense that a Jaguar E-type is but its not exactly ugly like a Nissan GTR lol

Lets talk about the competition shall we, the Cayenne is a frog, the RR Sport is a (slightly curved?) box, the GLE is another box (honestly looks like its from the 80s) and the BMW X5 resembles a pig. No point even mentioning the Q7 (there's your definition of UGLY)

Then you have the RX Predator, I know which one id take......
Old 05-06-15, 07:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

rayaans, I like your analogies.
Old 05-07-15, 02:35 AM
rxgs2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Totally agree

Originally Posted by davrober
I have been waiting to sell my 2011 and go with the 2016 but after seeing this one ii don't get it. They have severely restricted visibility in the rear quarters and the nose looks like some tank contraption from Mad Max. This is a luxury vehicle and there is absolutely no classic styling in this.
If I wanted a sport vehicle I would by a sport vehicle or go with the RX sport but I want an elegant looking vehicle with excellent characteristics for safety and drivability like good vision out the back.
Are there any test results on visibility and handling on this thing? Now Im considering a 2015 leftover maybe a 450H , but I can't see this as a step up. Maybe the people today want something out of Mad Max from Thunderdome or a land cruiser from Star Wars but Im still looking for elegance both on the outside and inside. I still advent seen one but the pictures are a turn off for me so far
I agree with you. After seeing the numerous pictures from the New York Auto show, and the pictures provided on the Lexus web site, when you click on the "Future" tab, I have doubts. I have waited for the 2016 RX model to buy a new RX to replace the 2010 RX450h which I Love. I only wanted to replace it to add some features I do not have. After seeing the 2016 I'm not sure I like it. I looked closely at the NX after seeing the pictures of the new RX. They look very similar. I think I will buy a new 2015 RX450H before the chance to do so passes. Yes, it won't be the new design. The only two things I was waiting for anyway was a relocation of the seat heater buttons. That Lexus did do right. I think they also put the sun glasses holder back in the headliner. I guess I will have to wait and see if Lexus softens the look of the new RX front end.

Last edited by rxgs2011; 05-08-15 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Don't want to be too critical of my favorite car.
Old 05-07-15, 06:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

[QUOTE=rxgs2011;9029656The door handles on the outside of the car are un-attractive, and there is no key hole for a key. What happens if the battery goes down.[/quote]

Theres a keyhold hidden underneath a plastic cover on the door handle. Several other Lexus models are/have been the same way.

The door lock on the inside of the car has moved to the top of the door trim behind the drivers shoulder. How does one reach back to that and lock the door?
Why are you locking the door with the manual lock? The car has power central locking.
Old 05-07-15, 07:37 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I originally found it ugly but I'm reserving my finial opinion until I see one in person. I like the look of the FSprot better but prefer the ride of the 350.
Old 05-07-15, 02:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am still convinced it will sell like crazy.
I think it will bring more new buyers than the few who leave.
Old 05-10-15, 11:12 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I am still convinced it will sell like crazy.
I think it will bring more new buyers than the few who leave.
Who said anything about leaving? We're all recycling older more um, elegant models. Now IF I were to leave it would have to be in the direction of say, a Mercedes GLE class SUV. I mean come on, massaging seats? Heated & cooled front cup holders? Sold. Oh and it's somewhat conservative looks appeal to me.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 05-11-15 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Who said anything about leaving? We're all recycling older more um, elegant models. Now IF I were to leave it would have to be in the direction of say, a Mercedes GLE class SUV. I mean come on, massaging seats? Heated & cooled front cup holders? Sold. Oh and it's somewhat conservative looks appeal to me.
If you buy used vs new, essentially you are leaving. Lexus doesn't really care if you buy used cars, dealers care, but Lexus wants new customers.
Old 05-12-15, 08:57 AM
dinachroek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the new styling, the front look great, little disappointed with the side, but can live withthat.
Im sure the interior will look great. that my opinion thou
Old 05-12-15, 12:53 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

I'll add my 2 cents. I will give it a thumbs up overall in the redesign, so I will only opine on the things I didn't like.

Not a fan of the massive grill. Only positive thing I can say is there will be fewer rock chips in the paint, hopefully that doesn't translate into more leaks in the rad. Love the headlight and foglight setup though.
From the side my only complaint is that it looks more like a redesigned Venza than a redesigned RX. Not saying it's not nice, but when it looks more like another car than itself, well, loses some points.
Finally, love the size and shape of the display screen, but don't like they way it's propped up on top of the dash, like a bit of an afterthought. Much prefer how the screen is integrated on 3rd gen. I would have been much happier if they would have done it more like the way it is in the GS for the wider aspect display.
Old 05-12-15, 03:10 PM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ok I will give my 2 cents. I saw the car at the NY Auto show and I think it looks better in person however there are some details I do not like. The grill, although massive, looked better when I saw the car. The back looked fine. What I did not like is the fog light setup. Looks like cheap silver colored plastic and the design looks awkward and definitely not classy. What I find most objectionable is the rear roof design. It reminds me of a 1970's hurst with that curly roof line. The designers of the Murano did a better job with the 'floating' roof design among other things. Definitely agree that the display screen looks like an after thought, really bad design and definitely NOT classy. Overall car has enough good points.
Old 05-13-15, 04:43 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

The front and interior... yes. The back... looks like a lifted ES. But that's just me. I'm sure it will sell well and most likely we will get one too Hopefully the tail will get refreshed or it will grow on us like the GS
Old 05-15-15, 11:17 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's Nouveau Chic.
Old 05-15-15, 12:15 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by NjDude
It's Nouveau Chic.
Excellent description. Lexus is targeted towards the nouveau rich as it is relatively new compared to the german luxury goliaths. I would rather choose advanced than classy.
Old 05-18-15, 08:59 AM
ohhawk
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Like the interior and tech upgrades but still haven't warmed to the Mazda looking roof line or the Cadillac chiseled approach to the exterior. Maybe given time I will but might hold onto our 2013 longer than I expected.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?