RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: Is the 2016 RX "Classy" ?
YES, Classy!
48.51%
NOT classy and I don't like the styling.
24.68%
NOT classy but I DO like the styling.
26.81%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?

Old 04-23-15, 04:35 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
What the hell is "classy"?

Everybody has their own definition of classy. To OP or anybody else in this thread, classy might be ugly in another person's eyes.

I have a relevant question, how many of you have seen the car in person?
I have! It was secretly shown in the UK in a dealer meeting! It looks great in the flesh, lots of angles, lots of presence!
Old 04-23-15, 07:49 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The title of this is very negative. I didn't like the 3rd generation from pics but it grew on me. Having had all 3 generations of RXs I think you need to give it a chance. Change is good.
Old 04-26-15, 05:32 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New 2016 RX

I've owned two RXs. And the camels back for me on the 2016 is the way Lexus Velcroed the Nav Displays to the dash.

It looks like a Mini iPad with a Best Buy holder slapped to the dash.
Old 04-27-15, 02:19 AM
Kingy68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
I have a relevant question, how many of you have seen the car in person?
I'd imagine very few have as the cars are not in showrooms to be looked at - certainly here in the UK. Doesn't stop people having an opinion or making a purchase choice though.

My local dealer (UK) does not have a physical car to view so their customers can only go off press pics. I was in my dealers at weekend chatting about the car as my RX had some warranty work done. The salesman said he has one customer who has been waiting to trade in for the new RX but decided to buy the NX after seeing the pics. He said they have had a fair bit of negative feedback from current RX owners on the looks (essentially the front grille) of the new model.

I don't like the overall looks from the pictures, but (as I said to the dealer and earlier in this thread) am happy to wait and see the car in the flesh to see if that changes my opinion. I didn't like the looks of my 'standard' RX, but add on front and rear underuns and it was a different car I was happy to buy. Small (though expensive) changes made a huge difference.

I also asked about the price of the new RX and the dealer said they anticipate it will be around £60,000 which is a fair increase against current RRP's in the UK. (£44,500 for the base SE to £55,495 for the Premier). He didn't confirm whether this is based on factual info from Lexus or his personal opinion. On the positive side he said the increased RRP of the new RX would probably lift second hand values of the RX.
Old 04-27-15, 05:19 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must admit that "CLASSY" is not the word that came to my mind when I saw the pics/videos of the new RX.

"Edgy" would work for the body. For the front end, I dunno, but "Grotesque" was in my initial thoughts. People suggesting that the grill might "grow on" me, gives me nightmares about an even larger predator.
Old 05-01-15, 10:37 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Car & Driver summed it up pretty well for me when they described it as "tortured sheetmetal'. I can't see myself putting $60k into something that I can't get really excited about. After seeing the pictures, I developed a brand new appreciation for my current RX 450h.
Old 05-02-15, 09:14 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

It's true what people are saying though...people over 45 generally don't like it and people under 45 generally love it. I'm 43 so bordering...but love it. Can't wait to throw down money for one.
Old 05-02-15, 07:54 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm 71 and thinking in about a year I'll have one. I really like what they've done and as long as the dollar stay's strong I don't see a big surge in the price other than maybe for a few new options. It will sell and well.
Originally Posted by Bearcat
It's true what people are saying though...people over 45 generally don't like it and people under 45 generally love it. I'm 43 so bordering...but love it. Can't wait to throw down money for one.
Old 05-03-15, 05:28 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts
Default 2016 RX Classy or Not - Poll

YES, Classy !
NOT classy and I don't like the styling.
NOT classy but I DO like the styling.
Old 05-03-15, 05:35 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

All, found this an interesting thread and as such, I added a poll.

My vote is that is isn't classy, but I Love the styling nonetheless. This is an easy one for me since RX looks a lot like baby brother NX which of course I find stunning!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-03-15 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-03-15, 09:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Classy? Maybe. It's more like bold, similar to when the RX first came out 17 years ago. There was and, with the 4th gen, still won't be anything else like it on the road. And I'm sure it'll carry over some features from previous gens. Can't emphasize enough pictures don't do it justice.

Thanks for adding the poll, corrado. And great pictures of your Fs. An RX next to your NX would be interesting.

Last edited by kitlz; 05-03-15 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-03-15, 01:51 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I am not sure about the word "classy" but am still trying to keep an open mind until I see it in person. I do think it would have been interesting to include age in the poll just to see if the opinions correlate to age.
Old 05-03-15, 02:24 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I'm 71 and thinking in about a year I'll have one. I really like what they've done and as long as the dollar stay's strong I don't see a big surge in the price other than maybe for a few new options. It will sell and well.
Was hoping you would buy first batch hot off the line as your 2010? Need some of the Club Lexus pros to buy early to help answer 4th gen. questions once buyers start buying.

I’m approaching 65 and also buying. Love the 450h, and will buy ASAP once dealers have our colors and options in stock. I like all that's new inside and out, and sure can't beat RX reputation for high grades and reliability.
Old 05-03-15, 03:41 PM
artylou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2016 RX front grille might look fine on a Trailways bus...or on the Chief Engineers office wall...but not on the RX cars. I have heard comments about poor rearward vision but have not actually been inside one yet. It seems the consensus, at least now, is that it's UGLY, with a capital UG. If you are one of the newer Lexus fanciers and think it is nice looking...everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 05-03-15, 07:31 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would call the styling and exclamation without needing an explanation .
Originally Posted by kitlz
Classy? Maybe. It's more like bold, similar to when the RX first came out 17 years ago. There was and, with the 4th gen, still won't be anything else like it on the road. And I'm sure it'll carry over some features from previous gens. Can't emphasize enough pictures don't do it justice.

Thanks for adding the poll, corrado. And great pictures of your Fs. An RX next to your NX would be interesting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?