RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: Is the 2016 RX "Classy" ?
YES, Classy!
48.51%
NOT classy and I don't like the styling.
24.68%
NOT classy but I DO like the styling.
26.81%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?

Old 04-20-15, 03:30 PM
kamauxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks good too (32 years young). Maybe it really is an age thing.
Old 04-20-15, 04:11 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im 48 this year :P getting old now lol.

I like it! The F-Sport is the one Im getting, currently considering Black, White and Grey but we'll see when it hits the UK. Definitely getting the red interior though!

I think the RX F-Sport is supposed to be the sporty one. I think the base spec looks very classy if thats what you want! I think the base spec would look very classy in Black with a tan interior to be honest!

Old 04-20-15, 05:06 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm recovering from a macular tear in my eye; and for about six months people's faces were distorted such that their cheeks deformed in much like the way the new front end of the RX's grill does.

Makes me laugh, now that I can see almost normally now.

I, too, find the looks of the recent Lexus/Toyota family traits reminding me of a bar scene in a Star Wars movie.

The exteriors of my last few cars had to grow on me; and I clearly remember how the "purists" bad-mouthed and Bangle-Bashed the redesigned lines of my Z4 - while I actually prefer the Z4's lines to those of the Z3 - so, I guess that means that by the time I'm tired of my third generation RX, the then-evolved fourth (fifth?) will look great to this then-old man.
Old 04-20-15, 05:35 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you James, finally a reasonable opinion. This thread reminds me of one of my email tag lines;

There is no point in standing still, that would be resisting the inevitable. The only thing that remains the same is the fact that there is constant change.

Good luck with your eyes

Originally Posted by NateJG
I'm recovering from a macular tear in my eye; and for about six months people's faces were distorted such that their cheeks deformed in much like the way the new front end of the RX's grill does.

I, too, find the looks of the recent Lexus/Toyota family traits reminding me of a bar scene in a Star Wars movie.

The exteriors of my last few cars had to grow on me; and I clearly remember how the "purists" bad-mouthed and Bangle-Bashed the redesigned lines of my Z4 - while I actually prefer the Z4's lines to those of the Z3 - so, I guess that means that by the time I'm tired of my third generation RX, the then-evolved fourth (fifth?) will look great to this then-old man.
Old 04-21-15, 01:23 PM
LSG89
Driver School Candidate

It may not be classy, but its still edgy and pretty cool design (aside from grille). I am part of the young generation (25 years old), so I know that many older people here don't like it but I think Lexus wants to make younger buyers buy it as well. In my opinion, 2nd generation Lexus Rx is my favourite of all time, I thought the 3rd generation was ugly and boring (aside from F sport). New one not not so much.
Old 04-21-15, 04:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kamauxx
I think it looks good too (32 years young). Maybe it really is an age thing.
I am 36, and this is first RX i would consider owning. Both inside and out of previous RX's did not interest me one bit... it looked way downmarket for me.
Old 04-21-15, 06:02 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m thinking way more classy than not, especially for a SUV. We are a retired couple in our mid 60’s and will be buying the non F-sport 450h hybrid.
I’ve looked many times at the 6 minute plus You Tube video, pausing several times along the way in full screen, to zoom in for detailed looks at every detail inside and outside. Lots of videos to view, but i used this one:

Inside=super plush and nice, and yes more classy than our current 2013 450h that my wife and I love so much. 2016 has more room, will be even quieter, materials and trim look awesome, and a much better layout with even more standard features and improvements. Some very nice upgraded options including the navigation, and what a super price for all you get with the Lexus safety system option. Also some cool new options such as the panoramic roof. All pretty classy IMO.

As for the outside, watching the video over and over just makes me like it more, including the spindle grill. Even "classy" can use a little boldness or attitude now that we’re well into the 21st century. Love the lights front and back, both looks and function. I’m also looking forward to the 20 inch wheel option, along with the new Michelin Premiers, which I think will be functional as well as classy.

Pretty sure the new RX will sell very well, as well as keep up all the current high grades. Looking forward to finding out more details, as well as the final product.

Last edited by go3Ds; 04-21-15 at 06:59 PM. Reason: add in full screen
Old 04-21-15, 07:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am 36, and this is first RX i would consider owning. Both inside and out of previous RX's did not interest me one bit... it looked way downmarket for me.
wELL, i'M 56 and this is the first RX I would consider buying. The current vehicle just looks too plain to me. Nice but kinda plain. Yes, the new one is radical but it is what it is.
There are many who will leave the new RX....but there are many more new buyers who will come running. I predict continued strength of sales for the RX.
Old 04-22-15, 01:13 AM
Kingy68
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I'm not fond of the huge grill either. As for the rest of the car, I want to see it in person before I form a final impression.
Same here. The larger grill really suits the smaller IS300h F Sport, but just looks cumbersome on the RX450 by comparison. I'm very disappointed with what I've seen in pics and vids, so am hoping its one of those cars that you have to see in the flesh to appreciate. I had it pencilled in as my next car, so hopefully seeing it at a dealers will change my current perceptions. Time will tell.
Old 04-22-15, 08:26 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife drives our 15 RX f sport. Thinks it looks more elegant and luxury based than the new 16RX. I will agree with her, although I would want that new interior and tech and not keep hitting my left leg on that old school parking break near the foot rest.

Also mechanically, i think we can very much bet that the 3rd gen's 3.5 is a very solid long term motor. How is the new 3.5 di? Anyone know?
Old 04-22-15, 02:54 PM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NateJG

Where do they place the front license on that pig snout.
Old 04-22-15, 03:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not a fan of the design at all but do like the interior and tech options.
Old 04-22-15, 06:46 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

What the hell is "classy"?

Everybody has their own definition of classy. To OP or anybody else in this thread, classy might be ugly in another person's eyes.

I have a relevant question, how many of you have seen the car in person?
Old 04-23-15, 07:28 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,050 Likes on 687 Posts

I agree with not being classy. Have a 2010 and was looking forward to the 2016. The front grill looks redneck. The black plastic trim around each wheel well looks cheap. The nav screen looks like an after thought and they velcored an Ipad to the top of the dash. Will either buy a used 2015 or a 2016 Acura RDX.
Old 04-23-15, 10:29 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
I agree with not being classy. Have a 2010 and was looking forward to the 2016. The front grill looks redneck. The black plastic trim around each wheel well looks cheap. The nav screen looks like an after thought and they velcored an Ipad to the top of the dash. Will either buy a used 2015 or a 2016 Acura RDX.

I cannot get over that acura badge grill. Just disgusting. Maybe you can remove it?

Why the same comment in two threads?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?