RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: Is the 2016 RX "Classy" ?
YES, Classy!
48.51%
NOT classy and I don't like the styling.
24.68%
NOT classy but I DO like the styling.
26.81%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?

Old 04-19-15, 08:53 AM
davrober
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?

I have been waiting to sell my 2011 and go with the 2016 but after seeing this one ii don't get it. They have severely restricted visibility in the rear quarters and the nose looks like some tank contraption from Mad Max. This is a luxury vehicle and there is absolutely no classic styling in this.
If I wanted a sport vehicle I would by a sport vehicle or go with the RX sport but I want an elegant looking vehicle with excellent characteristics for safety and drivability like good vision out the back.
Are there any test results on visibility and handling on this thing? Now Im considering a 2015 leftover maybe a 450H , but I can't see this as a step up. Maybe the people today want something out of Mad Max from Thunderdome or a land cruiser from Star Wars but Im still looking for elegance both on the outside and inside. I still advent seen one but the pictures are a turn off for me so far
Old 04-19-15, 10:27 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davrober
I have been waiting to sell my 2011 and go with the 2016 but after seeing this one ii don't get it. They have severely restricted visibility in the rear quarters and the nose looks like some tank contraption from Mad Max. This is a luxury vehicle and there is absolutely no classic styling in this.
If I wanted a sport vehicle I would by a sport vehicle or go with the RX sport but I want an elegant looking vehicle with excellent characteristics for safety and drivability like good vision out the back.
Are there any test results on visibility and handling on this thing? Now Im considering a 2015 leftover maybe a 450H , but I can't see this as a step up. Maybe the people today want something out of Mad Max from Thunderdome or a land cruiser from Star Wars but Im still looking for elegance both on the outside and inside. I still advent seen one but the pictures are a turn off for me so far
Yes, I feel the same as you. I love the style of my 13, the new one just looks ugly to me.
I agree that a luxury vehicle should look classy.
The talk is they're going for the younger crowd. I'm in my 40s and I've been driving Lexuses for 10'years. Just wondering how young one would have to be to like this new look. :
I do like the new technology on it though.
Old 04-19-15, 10:51 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

You are not alone. We were so looking forward to the refreshed 2013 LS. Boy were we disappointed! Thus we switched to MB. I understand Lexus tries to make their models look more sporty. However, imho the new styling just looks cartoonish and hideous. Having said that, I have to admit the new styling has grown on me. Part of the reason is I still believe in Lexus and want to like their new models. Lexus has better reliability than MB and Bimmer. I do hope Lexus, with its design wisdom, will come up with something that appeals to us traditional buyers too. We miss the Lexus reliability and want to come back to the Lexus family one day...hopefully

Last edited by BrickHead; 04-19-15 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-19-15, 12:46 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, all I can say is "me too". I don't like, and just won't own, something that is styled like it comes from a comic book or video game. I appreciate many others are enamored with the new styling, and as I've said in other threads, I hope Lexus' decision pays off in the end for what has been my favorite auto brand for nearly 20 years. I'm far from being a youngster or someone dealing with the needs of a new family for example, but I've also got at least another 20 years of new car purchases and dealer-supplied service to make, so I doubt car mfgrs really want to leave my (or is that "our"? ) demographic out completely.

With a purchase as big as a car is for me, I don't want to have to let the style "grow on me". I want to instead be passionately in love with it if I can -- as much as I was with my SC430 that previewed in 2001 and I waited nearly 9 months to buy because of the backlog and Lexus selling all that they could build. I love detailing, taking care of, and driving something I'm completely proud to own. My 2013, with its "first gen" RX spindle grille is still not something I really like, but I am OK living with it given everything else my RX provides. I look for rides that are elegant and classy, but have a somewhat sporty look, along with reliability, service and latest technology. I don't want "Plain Jane" styling like my grandmother's boat-of-a-Buick she loved long ago when I was learning to drive, nor do I want something on the other extreme that looks like it came from Minority Report or that may have been influenced by Star Wars or Geiger (remember Alien?). I keep a "big boy toy" 2nd car for when I want to put the top down and take a corner. I keep my SUV as my daily driver for my dog and I most of the time, that can double for hauling family at holidays when they are over or we go out, and the occasional trip to the home improvement store. My SUV needs to be fun, but I don't expect it to be a sports car like some seem to, either. To use the words some of you have, it's my "classy daily driver".

I've had now two big disappointments in recent months from Lexus. I've been excited for years at the promise of what the NX may have been as my next daily driver. Its size fits my needs a whole lot better than the ever-growing RX, but the NX over-the-top angled styling ruled it out for me from the start, before even thinking about some of the other differences from my beloved RXs. My second and most recent disappointment is IMHO, Lexus seemed to not differentiate that greatly between the 2016 RX F-Sport front-end to the non-F-Sport. That decision is what lost it for me on the 4th Gen. If the non-F-Sport front end were a little more subdued, or even if it was an option that could be purchased for the (perhaps) smaller number of us that desire that look, I'd be all over this thing and likely would have already figured out a way to get one ordered as soon as slots open up -- purchasing my 4th new RX 2-3 years ahead of plan.

I trust my Lexus in ways unlike what I do with BMW, or even my present MBZ "toy". I also have greater confidence in service and long-term cost of ownership with Lexus. ...but styling that I love is important to me as well. I've sadly come to grips that my 2013 RX450h will likely be my last Lexus. It pains me, as I've owned one or two Lexi continuously since 1995, including all gens of RX. I'm glad I went ahead and bought the refresh when I did. Perhaps one day if Lexus reels-in their design just a bit, or of course the other contenders change their styling to be as dramatic so I'm left with no alternatives, I'll reconsider. We'll see.

Last edited by BertL; 04-19-15 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-19-15, 02:35 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

I'm not fond of the huge grill either. As for the rest of the car, I want to see it in person before I form a final impression. The DustBuster grill doesn't require an in-person viewing though. They are clearly targeting a different demographic and all I can say is that I hope it serves Lexus well and I'm glad I won't be back in the market for some time. I believe someone else here commented that it isn't unusual for the previous generation owners to feel this way about a new model so I am trying my best to keep an open mind.

Sadly, it sounds like they are doing the same thing to the ES. They can maintain a similar design language without exaggerating the proboscis on every car they build. Too bad their single designer doesn't understand that simple idea.
Old 04-19-15, 03:29 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I’d like to see the interior before deciding if the 2016 RX is “classy”. I consider the spindle grill downright silly, but the interior—where we spend our time—will determine whether we upgrade from our 2012 RX. We’re extremely happy with our 2013 GS350 with a similar spindle grill. Its interior, however, won us over. Now we simply avoid looking at the front of the car, even when washing it. Man it’s ugly.
Old 04-19-15, 03:32 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by JellyBean
... Now we simply avoid looking at the front of the car, even when washing it. Man it’s ugly.
Oh ho ho. That's too funny. Thx for a great laugh!
Old 04-20-15, 01:33 AM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Me too. I am very disappointed in the RX16, it's not classy at all. I am glad I grabbed the '15 last year, maybe I'll keep it until the RX 2022 comes out?

Also I was looking forward to replacing my Camry with the ES, but the ES 16 that just came out today also takes on that hideous grille.
Old 04-20-15, 05:20 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Other opinions

I can't let this thread have just one point of view. Now I admit that when the 'spindle' grill made it's debut a few years ago, my comments were almost identical to many of you. Then big mouth grills started in other brands as well. Before too long I realized my perception of the Lexus style was growing over the others. Now I have to say I like it. Also there's going to be a lot of new or improved technology available. I'm really liking the new 'sequential' turn signals.

I'll give it awhile for the dealer demands for high profit to die down then in about a year (or two) I'll be ordering another 450h. I've never owned a car as inexpensive to maintain as my 2010 RX 450h (Watson) so I'm hoping the next one will be as good or even better .

As far as everyone thinking it's going to be a much higher price, I think not as much as some may think. The dollar is really strong and helping to keep new prices down on foreign Marque's regardless of what continent they're built on. Some new features may raise it some but I think not much more than that.

My six bits
Old 04-20-15, 05:55 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I can't let this thread have just one point of view... My six bits
Ah, Jim, you're no fun. This thread was going along so well with only those of us that wanted to wallow in our growing pool of sorrow.
Old 04-20-15, 06:28 AM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. It's not just one part of the 4RX, there's so much I'm not feeling.

I've had/have

01 RX 300
06 ES 330
10 RX 350

Fell in love with each from the start. Not feeling the same on the '16.

On the flip side IDK if I want to be in the same generation until 2022. I do have a liking for the '13+ LS's....
Old 04-20-15, 07:05 AM
davrober
Rookie

Maybe I've just become an old fart and don't like anything that is radically new . naw it's got a plus side . You can clear mines , lol , but I will test drive it , maybe it looks worse than it is. Heres sacrilege , Ford took the grill on the Aston Martin and turned it into a big seller on the Fusion. Every think there james Bond driving a db5 , Suave . .Lexus on the other hand took mine sweeping grill from the Sherman tank so we can fele like we are clearing Brush. LOL Im just making fun because Im an old FRT .
Old 04-20-15, 12:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by roxy208
The talk is they're going for the younger crowd. I'm in my 40s and I've been driving Lexuses for 10'years. Just wondering how young one would have to be to like this new look. :
Well I'm 38 and I LOVE the new styling.

I'll be trading in my 3RX on one as soon as it's feasible.
Old 04-20-15, 01:16 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Have your fun Bert, I"ll be the 1st to remind you of this post when you take delivery of your new 4RX F sport . I'll bet money that this model will excel in sales over Gen I, II, III, and IV will set new records. Just sayin ...

For the record, all the nay sayers were saying leaving the round quad lights behind on the new 7th Gen Vette would be it's death. Well we've all heard about the records it set both on the track and in sales
Originally Posted by BertL
Ah, Jim, you're no fun. This thread was going along so well with only those of us that wanted to wallow in our growing pool of sorrow.
Old 04-20-15, 02:19 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the new style looks great inside and out. I am 37, am I the younger generation?

This is the first time I am considering buying new. I like it that much, especially the interior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?