RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

New RX uses IS Controller not RC Touch Pad

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 11:39 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New RX uses IS Controller not RC Touch Pad

Anyone know why the new RX uses the IS controller, not the 'newer' RC touch pad?
Old 04-04-15, 01:50 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably something to do with the 12.3 screen and the menu system it uses.

Both the 4RX and the new GSF have been shown with the older joystick, and they both have a different menu system from the 3IS/RC/NX.

At least that's my take on it; they could be moving back to the joystick, but the trackpad makes more sense long term as it allows handwriting input (although currently only Japanese and Chinese characters).
Old 04-04-15, 07:46 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

I asked my salesman why the new IS didn't have a touch pad and he told me that Lexus is starting to move away from touch pads because of the "issues" customers are having with touch pads. He then said the oils or different materials that people have on their fingers, and spillage from drinks "damages" the pad and the service depts always get customers with problems from their touch screens because of that issue. Now did I believe his answer, not really, but I wasn't going to waste my time debating the issue since it wasn't a really a big deal to me.
Old 04-04-15, 07:51 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
I asked my salesman why the new IS didn't have a touch pad and he told me that Lexus is starting to move away from touch pads because of the "issues" customers are having with touch pads. He then said the oils or different materials that people have on their fingers, and spillage from drinks "damages" the pad and the service depts always get customers with problems from their touch screens because of that issue. Now did I believe his answer, not really, but I wasn't going to waste my time debating the issue since it wasn't a really a big deal to me.
Yeah the touchpad is actually much harder to use than the Remote touch. With the addition of a back and enter button I think itll be much better than the touch pad
Old 04-04-15, 03:46 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, Gentlemen.

Originally Posted by rayaans
Yeah the touchpad is actually much harder to use than the Remote touch. With the addition of a back and enter button I think itll be much better than the touch pad
The touch pad is MORE difficult to use!?
Old 04-04-15, 03:48 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nights
They could be moving back to the joystick, but the trackpad makes more sense long term as it allows handwriting input (although currently only Japanese and Chinese characters).
Why would they be going back!?

Confused.
Old 04-04-15, 04:31 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rayaans
We have both the remote touch and the trackpad, and personally I find the track pad is easier to use, especially with the haptic feedback off.
Old 04-05-15, 09:50 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I think the trackpad is harder to use and more distracting. Tried it at the dealer and at a Lexus event and hated it. Every car review has bashed on it too. Trackpads make sense for computers where you can sit there and watch the cursor, but not in a moving car especially on bumpy roads. Not surprised Lexus is shying away from it now. Remote Touch hasn't gotten the best reviews either, but much better than the trackpad. I can also see the point the salesman said about problems with it in the service department. Maybe too many warranty claims making Lexus lose too much money.

Another example of Lexus shying away from the trackpad and sticking with Remote Touch is in the updated 2016 Lexus GS & GSF.

Last edited by dchar; 04-05-15 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 05:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
i suspect that your salesman was telling you bull, simple truth may be that IS was released before RC and NX, and touchpad was not ready.

Lexus and Toyota do not believe that one size fits all, so quite likely we will see in the future cars use both methods, depending on their target audience and size of the vehicle.

When it comes to IS vs RC interior, RC is much more functional due to the smaller size of touchpad, we get properly placed cupholders unlike in IS... I would not be surprised if facelift IS gets touchpad as well.
Old 04-06-15, 01:27 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dchar
I think the trackpad is harder to use and more distracting. Tried it at the dealer and at a Lexus event and hated it. Every car review has bashed on it too. Trackpads make sense for computers where you can sit there and watch the cursor, but not in a moving car especially on bumpy roads. Not surprised Lexus is shying away from it now. Remote Touch hasn't gotten the best reviews either, but much better than the trackpad. I can also see the point the salesman said about problems with it in the service department. Maybe too many warranty claims making Lexus lose too much money.
Actually, most of the reviews I've seen have commented that the trackpad is better than remote touch. But that the trackpad is still inferior to the 'dial' solutions ie. iDrive.
Old 04-06-15, 02:08 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It could have something to do with 8' vs 12' screen. Maybe the RC touchpad is not properly optimized for 12' as it would probably require lots of finger travel or very fast movement across the screen.
Old 04-09-15, 10:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This was brought up and discussed in the Future of Lexus thread.

RX is a 'Legacy' model, RC and NX are not. That could change as models make inroads however for the time being that's why the latest RX and GS continue with a mouse like RT and newer 'younger' models like the RC and NX use the track pad RTI.

Some models still use touch screen so its not like everything is uniform.
Old 04-12-15, 08:34 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Thanks, Gentlemen.

The touch pad is MORE difficult to use!?
Yeah I actually find the touch pad more difficult to use than the remote touch joystick. The touchpad isnt like the one on smart phones, its a bit clunky and I keep double tapping things by accident whereas with the joystick you cant do that.
Old 04-13-15, 04:54 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm glad Lexus listened to me, when I filled out surveys and asked they keep the best possible screen controller, the remote touch joystick.

Last edited by DunWkg; 04-13-15 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 06:14 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

X two
Originally Posted by DunWkg
I'm glad Lexus listened to me, when I filled out surveys and asked they keep the best possible screen controller, the remote touch joystick.