RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Details unseen in Pics!

Old 04-07-15, 04:40 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kamauxx
Its kind of disheartening to see Lexus following a fad that began so long ago. This isn't exactly revolutionary.
Actually, Audi took it out in 2013 but it was only available on the high end A8 models as standard and base A8 models as an option with certain lighting packages.

Audi only standardised it on certain models last year so hardly "long ago"
Old 04-07-15, 06:34 AM
kamauxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Actually, Audi took it out in 2013 but it was only available on the high end A8 models as standard and base A8 models as an option with certain lighting packages.

Audi only standardised it on certain models last year so hardly "long ago"
Sequential turn signals were introuduced on Ford and Chrysler vehicles in the 60s and 70s.

They've just been away long enough for young people to think they're new.

*edit: Come to think of it I believe the 2013 Mustang has sequential turn signals as well.
Old 04-07-15, 03:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

One thing I was curious about from earlier pictures was a push button inside the middle console cup holder. Found out it adjusts the depth to accommodate different size bottles/cups.
Old 04-07-15, 04:51 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

It looks like they may have introduced wireless cell phone charging too?

Also what is the hold button near the e-parking brake?
Old 04-07-15, 06:04 PM
kamauxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
It looks like they may have introduced wireless cell phone charging too?

Also what is the hold button near the e-parking brake?
If it's what I think it is it may be similar to Hyundai's system where when engaged the vehicle won't move if it's in drive or reverse until the accelerator is engaged.

In other words it makes it where you won't have to hold the break pedal down at traffic lights.
Old 04-08-15, 05:43 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kamauxx
If it's what I think it is it may be similar to Hyundai's system where when engaged the vehicle won't move if it's in drive or reverse until the accelerator is engaged.

In other words it makes it where you won't have to hold the break pedal down at traffic lights.
I'll hope Lexus' implementation on the 4RX is more like what I have on my MBZ... If I'm at a stop light, I just easily push a little further down on the brake pedal and the car goes into HOLD (with an indicator on the dash), where it remains completely stopped if I take my foot off the brake for any amount of time, even stopped going up or downhill. Very useful at long stops and in horrible start/stop traffic with long stops on Big City Interstates. The function is tied to and utilizes the e-parking brake.

The present 3RX HOLD implementation I have on my 2013 requires a much more precise press of the brake that does not seem to work every time for many people, but when it does, it only stays on IIRC for 30 seconds max and then it goes back off assuming the accelerator isn't pressed and turns it off first. IMHO, it's a novelty that is good to use if you're stopped at a light going uphill so you don't slide back during the time it takes your foot to come off the brake and hit the accelerator, but it's not nearly as robust or full-proof as my MBZ implementation.
Old 04-08-15, 08:39 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ bert, I agree the system on MB is well implemented. However, the RX system is not meant to be a hold function, but only a hill start assist function. I hate that it beeps when you activate and disengage the function. It is only meant to work on hills and not on level ground for you to stay still at a stoplight. It will disengage within 5 seconds once you release the brake pedal.

If the 4RX system is anything like the system on the LS, it will hold the car every time the car comes to a complete stop and will not require you to put extra pressure on the brake pedal like on MB
Old 04-22-15, 10:01 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RXSF, I believe you are correct. As I understand it, it's an auto brake hold. Once you come to a stop, the car will keep the brakes engaged, holding the brake for you. The brake lights will continue to be lit, even though your foot is not on the brake pedal. The car will automatically release the brake when the accelerator pedal is pressed.

BertL, on the 3RX, this feature is not designed to be a brake hold feature. Rather, it is Hill Start Assist. The purpose of this system is to prevent rollback when stopped on an incline. Hence it only works for a predetermined time. As I am sure you have experienced, when Hill Start Assist is engaged, the brake lights remain lit until the accelerator is pressed.

Fun Fact: The 2nd generation RX came with an anti-rollback feature as well. When stopped on a steep enough incline, and the brake pedal is released, the transmission will hold the vehicle in place for a certain amount of time (I think indefinitely actually, but I haven't taken advantage of it too much. I forget I have it most of the time.). However, the major downside to this is that when the brake is released, the brake lights turn off. Thus, vehicles approaching from behind have a hard time determining if you are stopped or not.
Old 04-23-15, 06:47 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Is that a console Parking Brake switch in this interior pic?

I know Lexus says their 2016 RX pics are of prototypes, but of all the things I'm hoping to get is the console parking brake switch -- like the one standard in the NX [at least I think it's in this pic I captured of the 2016 RX 450h interior -- the (P) switch just north of the gear selector]:

Here's a quick video if how it works in the NX:

I've despised the cheesy, clumsy parking brake pedal in Lexi since it showed up some years ago. It won't be a deal-killer for me (I'm ready to order the F Sport RX 450h NOW!), but sure would be nice if this new device makes it into production.
Old 04-24-15, 05:45 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^

I don't think I ever used (P) brake! But that's because wherever I lived there was little to no elevation
Old 04-27-15, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,797 Posts

You should ALWAYS use the parking brake when you park, regardless of the elevation. If you read the manual of every car with an automatic transmission it says that.

My GS has the automatic/electronic parking brake. Its great.
Old 04-29-15, 11:45 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You should ALWAYS use the parking brake when you park, regardless of the elevation. If you read the manual of every car with an automatic transmission it says that.

My GS has the automatic/electronic parking brake. Its great.
Is that an "AUTO" button under the hold button in the RX? In which case itll have an electronic brake too right?
Old 04-29-15, 11:56 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that an "AUTO" button under the hold button in the RX? In which case itll have an electronic brake too right?
Yep, Next gen RX will have Electronic Parking Brake and Hold feature like the new NX
Old 04-29-15, 06:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^yeah, looks to be the same as the NX which work really well. The e parking brake disengages the moment one shifts out of Park and the Hold feature (when enabled), holds the brake for you after fully stopped. Convenient in a long traffic light, at a railroad crossing, traffic, and so on.
Old 04-29-15, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Yep, same as in the GS. Works great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Details unseen in Pics!