RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Who is considering the new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 07:31 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Not me!!! Have a 2010 and was looking forward to the 2016. The front grill looks redneck. The black plastic trim around each wheel well looks cheap. The nav screen looks like an after thought and they velcored an Ipad to the top of the dash. Will either buy a used 2015 or a 2016 Acura RDX.
Old 05-07-15, 04:06 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two Lexus owner here but I wouldn't consider trading in my 2009 for a 2016. Don't care for the squinty head lights or that monstrosity bug catcher of a grill. I'll be in the market for last years model and that should hold me for awhile when the time comes. I understand why they did it but it's just not for me.
Old 05-07-15, 05:43 AM
rxgs2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RC350Fan
Just got my first Lexus (GS F Sport) and will need to replace my wife's CUV in a few years. She currently drives an Acura RDX, which is a great vehicle, but they left out features in 2013 (no park assist, BSM, rear vents, etc.).

I think the (non F Sport) RX looks great and I would consider one. This made me wonder how many Lexus owners have more than one.

How about you - are you considering the new RX or do you have more than one Lexus today?
I have owned a new 2010 RX450H for over 4 years now and I love this car. I love it so much that I am special ordering another one. My 2015 RX450h is supposed to arrive in late July or early August. The 2010 model I have, I bought late in the model year, from a dealers lot. I didn't have much choice in options since I wanted a specific color. (White W/ Parchment) I really want more of the optional features, so that is why I special ordered my latest car. I was waiting for the re-design in 2016, but really don't like the looks of it. So a 2015 will be almost exactly the same car I have, just better. I do like the improvements to my present car put into the 2015 model. The LED running lights and LED fog lights are a nice touch. I like the available Blind Spot Monitor, and other refinements. I must admit I liked the vertical turbine style grill over the horizontal style, but the front end is still nice in 2015. I also liked the high gloss medium color brown wood steering wheel and trim I currently have compaired to the matt finish bamboo that I will be getting in my new car. But at least it is wood and not plastic. I guess bamboo is lower cost and saves some trees. I can live with that. I have been very happy with my Lexus. We have two lexus' in our family. The other car is a 2008 GS350 AWD. That car is loaded with everything. Navigation, Mark Levinson, Power folding mirrors, Park assist, Headlamp washers. I wanted all that stuff on my RX too. So I ordered one. It should have everything except the rear seat entertainment screens. I rarely have anyone sitting in the back seats so why spend that $2,000. I'm really looking forward to the radar cruise control. A friend has the toyota system in his Sienna. He loves it and says it works really well. I ordered the heads-up-display too, just so there wouldn't be a blank panel in the dash and a chapter of the owners manual I would have to skip. My 2010 RX has been almost maintenance free. I had one single problem in the first year, which was fixed under warranty, with no additional trouble. I have been surprised by the good gas milage I get. I am a gentle driver and you can definitely hyper-mile in this vehicle if you choose to. In Wyoming on vacation I got almost 35 miles per gallon on one tank of fuel. It really surprised me. I think I was going down hill from the mountains all day. It's the only expanation. Normally I average between 29 and 32 MPG. I was surprised that even with the A/C on, out on the highway you can get 30 MPG. On a 5,800 mile vacation driving from Washington DC to Yellowstone National Park and back, I got an average of 28.9 MPG with A/C on and driving 75 MPH across most of the midwest. Regenerative braking and the hybrid system definitely works. My last car was a Chrysler 300C AWD with the Hemi engine. 20 MPG was the best I ever did. 14 MPG in the city was common. The RX 450H has been great. It's peppy, comfortable and you don't scape on things in parking lots. Easy to step into and out of. My only complaints are that Lexus removed the sun glasses holder and replaced it with an S.O.S. button. They also hid the seat heater controls under the center armrest lid. They did fix both things in the 2016 model, but they ruined the looks. So I'm waiting with great expectation for my new 2015.
Old 05-07-15, 11:25 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rxgs2011
I have owned a new 2010 RX450H for over 4 years now and I love this car. I love it so much that I am special ordering another one. My 2015 RX450h is supposed to arrive in late July or early August. The 2010 model I have, I bought late in the model year, from a dealers lot. I didn't have much choice in options since I wanted a specific color. (White W/ Parchment) I really want more of the optional features, so that is why I special ordered my latest car. I was waiting for the re-design in 2016, but really don't like the looks of it. So a 2015 will be almost exactly the same car I have, just better. I do like the improvements to my present car put into the 2015 model. The LED running lights and LED fog lights are a nice touch. I like the available Blind Spot Monitor, and other refinements. I must admit I liked the vertical turbine style grill over the horizontal style, but the front end is still nice in 2015. I also liked the high gloss medium color brown wood steering wheel and trim I currently have compaired to the matt finish bamboo that I will be getting in my new car. But at least it is wood and not plastic. I guess bamboo is lower cost and saves some trees. I can live with that. I have been very happy with my Lexus. We have two lexus' in our family. The other car is a 2008 GS350 AWD. That car is loaded with everything. Navigation, Mark Levinson, Power folding mirrors, Park assist, Headlamp washers. I wanted all that stuff on my RX too. So I ordered one. It should have everything except the rear seat entertainment screens. I rarely have anyone sitting in the back seats so why spend that $2,000. I'm really looking forward to the radar cruise control. A friend has the toyota system in his Sienna. He loves it and says it works really well. I ordered the heads-up-display too, just so there wouldn't be a blank panel in the dash and a chapter of the owners manual I would have to skip. My 2010 RX has been almost maintenance free. I had one single problem in the first year, which was fixed under warranty, with no additional trouble. I have been surprised by the good gas milage I get. I am a gentle driver and you can definitely hyper-mile in this vehicle if you choose to. In Wyoming on vacation I got almost 35 miles per gallon on one tank of fuel. It really surprised me. I think I was going down hill from the mountains all day. It's the only expanation. Normally I average between 29 and 32 MPG. I was surprised that even with the A/C on, out on the highway you can get 30 MPG. On a 5,800 mile vacation driving from Washington DC to Yellowstone National Park and back, I got an average of 28.9 MPG with A/C on and driving 75 MPH across most of the midwest. Regenerative braking and the hybrid system definitely works. My last car was a Chrysler 300C AWD with the Hemi engine. 20 MPG was the best I ever did. 14 MPG in the city was common. The RX 450H has been great. It's peppy, comfortable and you don't scape on things in parking lots. Easy to step into and out of. My only complaints are that Lexus removed the sun glasses holder and replaced it with an S.O.S. button. They also hid the seat heater controls under the center armrest lid. They did fix both things in the 2016 model, but they ruined the looks. So I'm waiting with great expectation for my new 2015.
I have owned a 2010 RX350 for over 3 years now and I love this car. I love it so much that I am special ordering another one. The 2016 RX450h is supposed to arrive at the end of the year. The 2010 model I have, I bought early in the model year. I didn't have much choice in options since I bought it used. I really want more of the optional features, so that is why I will special order my next car. I was waiting for the re-design in 2016, and I mostly like the looks of it. So a 2016 will be almost exactly the same car I have, just better. The improvements in the 4RX are way better than the 3RX. I'll get a stronger motor, likely a new hybrid powertrain. The 12" monitor is an improvement, and it will have a panoramic view monitor which the 3RX does not have. 20" wheels are new and appreciated and they will pair well with the adaptable variable suspension so I can choose comfort over sport whenever I want. Lane keeping assist, wireless charged, and panoramic sunroof are also big improvements over the 3RX. Not to mention that the interior doesn't look very outdated. I have been very happy with my Lexus. Now I will tell you about my experience with Lexus, if for some reason you're still reading. This is the first Lexus I've owned and I am pleasantly surprised. I did not think that a luxury car would be worth the money I paid for it but now I am a believer. Now let me tell you about my friends who have Toyota, Scions, and Lexus vehicles. They have features and stuff and they work well and I want them too and I will have them. Now I will tell you have my gas 'milage'. Are you still reading? Because I'm about to tell you about my driving habits and what I had for lunch. After I ate lunch, I noticed my gas mileage went down, likely because of the extra weight from the heavy meal that I had. Seems like this is probably the wrong place to post experiences about why you bought a 2015 over a 2016. Seems like there are 2015 owners who are trying to justify why they bought a 2015 even though the 2016 is a huge step up from the last generation. I wonder why people who aren't considering the 2016 are joining into this discussion, which is about who is considering the new RX, trying to validate their purchasing decisions. The 2015 is a great car, but not perfect. Things improve over time and style is very subjective. I wouldn't let style get in the way of superior technology and I won't delude myself into thinking that the next generation isn't going to be better. My only complaint is that this is very hard to read and I regret taking the time to write it. So I'm waiting with great expectation for my new 2016.
Old 06-22-15, 03:35 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just purchased a 15 fsport 2 months ago and am considering trading it in for a 16. I paid about 80% of the price up front and financed the rest. I wonder how much of a lost I would take by making this switch.

In 2 months, Ive only put 300 miles so it will be a low mileage trade but im sure the dealership will try to lowball me...
Old 06-22-15, 08:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

You're going to get killed if you trade it now.
Old 06-23-15, 05:28 AM
charanjsds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my 3rd Gen Lexus RX 350 since December 2012 and notwithstanding the superb comfort and reliable service it has provided, it has always lacked a certain element of excitement both in outlook and performance. I have paid a deposit on a 2016 Lexus RX 350 F Sport Arctic Pearl exterior and Rosewood interior based on the pictures on the internet. The grille is no issue and it will finally get people to notice the RX regardless positively or otherwise instead of seeing a reliable and bland transporter. Kudos to the Lexus design and management team for having the guts to venture out in a new direction. My two cents
Old 06-25-15, 10:50 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I find myself coming back and reviewing the photos of the 2016 RX about once a week ... I really want to like the car. I've been driving Lexus for 21 years and typically just shop Lexus when I need a new car. Am I going to buy the 2016 RX? No, no and h.ll no. I suspect it will look better when I actually see one, but there are so many things I dislike ... no hate ... about the looks. Sorry to use such a strong word. I respect Lexus and the bold moves the designers took ... the car's exterior just doesn't work for me. That's OK ... I'm just not the customer that they had in mind when they created the vehicle.

Last edited by UCSB; 06-25-15 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 06:12 AM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have been revisiting the pics of this vehicle and I just find so many areas that would have to 'grow' on me for me to like it. I did see the car in person and it just does not look elegant or sophisticated on the outside. Very disappointing.
Old 06-26-15, 07:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^^ It's funny that I was just looking at the pictures, and thinking to myself about how much I love the look and cannot wait to put one in my garage. I can totally understand, though, how it's not for everyone.
Old 06-26-15, 08:03 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a radical departure from Gen III and takes some getting used to it. Even in Gen III when they went to the spindle grill I was upset, now I like it. After the high profit bloom wears off the introduction, I'll have another (h). A lot of folks have commented that with the lower gas prices they can't justify the difference, but it's more than mileage. Also when the RX 400h came out, gas prices were a lot less than they are now and it was in demand all the time. And gas prices will rise again.

Can't wait to see what the equipment differences are along with all the other specs between the regular RX and the (h) model.
Originally Posted by UCSB
I find myself coming back and reviewing the photos of the 2016 RX about once a week ... I really want to like the car. I've been driving Lexus for 21 years and typically just shop Lexus when I need a new car. Am I going to buy the 2016 RX? No, no and h.ll no. I suspect it will look better when I actually see one, but there are so many things I dislike ... no hate ... about the looks. Sorry to use such a strong word. I respect Lexus and the bold moves the designers took ... the car's exterior just doesn't work for me. That's OK ... I'm just not the customer that they had in mind when they created the vehicle.
Old 06-26-15, 11:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think I have stated before that I won't be in the market for the 4RX, which both saddens me and delights me at the same time. Saddens because I have had a long history with Lexus and have owned an RX from each generation. Delights me because I am getting a bit tired of the RX and lexus in general and maybe its time for something new (doesn't mean I will leave Clublexus of course). I have had too many issues with my 3RX and I no longer find Lexus service to me out of the ordinary. Contrary, it has gone downwards since my SA of 14 years left Lexus for Tesla.

I liked the refreshed 3RX but the 4RX is going too far. Other luxury makes have style pinned down correctly to being both aggressive and classy at the same time. The RX and new lexus models do not achieve this effect
Old 06-30-15, 08:31 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 73 Posts

I will probably wait 2 years or so and swap my wife's 10 RX to 4th gen. She really likes the new model look.
Old 06-30-15, 08:37 PM
Macboi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will you guys be trading in your older models for the 2016 RX?

im loving the new look! I been shopping around for a 2015 f sports but thinking I should wait!!
Old 06-30-15, 08:42 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes I will but in 2 years or so! I also love the new look. My wife loves it too!

Quick Reply: Who is considering the new RX?