RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Who is considering the new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 06:36 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

We also love the Lexus brand. We have the 2013 RX and a 2015 ES 300H. Love them both for very different reasons.

As to the new RX, I too wanted to like it but that huge front grill is very polarizing. Definitely not my cup of tea. Acura made a similar mistake with a polarizing grill on many of their vehicles, which some likened to a birds beak. They finally learned, probably from a sales slump, that people didn't like a bird's beak for the grill on their cars and now the newer softer grill is quite attractive. The same thing may happen with the RX. I will wait for that version. I merely dislike the grill, but my wife absolutely hates it. It will be some years before we are in the market again anyway so hopefully they will have dialed it back by then. The rest of the car looks really nice, but the current gen is already a tad large for us so I was disappointed to see that they increased the size.

So I just don't see myself in one but still love the brand and wish all you future owners nothing but the best!
Old 04-04-15, 01:56 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Ditto. Looking to special order a fully loaded 450H but waiting for details:
  • Weight loss - this is a serious omission. My 2010 3RX is bloated.
  • i-AFS - swiveling, tilting headlamps - bring it back!
  • CarPlay
  • 450h: New hybrid powertrain - where are you???

Also have to see it in person to see if I can live with the polarizing front!
If you've seen the new LEDS on the RC/NX in action, the swiveling is not needed. We've previously had that feature on a previous IS, and the LEDs light coverage is still superior even at the straight ahead angle. Not to mention, the 4RX looks to have similar LED "turning" foglamps that double as turning lamps as the NX which also adds to the light intensity on turning.

I agree with the weight loss and the new hybrid powertrain.
Old 04-04-15, 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The adaptive lighting is always needed if you're accustomed to it.
Old 04-04-15, 02:45 PM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Probably

Current lease over in Feb 2016---timing just about right for 4RX!
Old 04-04-15, 04:05 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a hybrid specific comment: I won't buy another Lexus hybrid if Lexus takes all of the financial benefit of owning a hybrid off the table at time of purchase by charging an excessive premium.
Old 04-04-15, 07:25 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had an RX from each generation including the 400h and considered downsizing to the NX. But after sitting in the NX multiple times I was disappointed in the lack of features we've become accustomed to on the RX. It seemed like Lexus was cutting corners to save $ to produce the NX. I will testdrive the BMW and Audi, but will probably go with the RX. Service is an important factor and not having to worry about the car is another. The RX looks good in pictures.
Old 04-05-15, 08:20 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

lexus is on fire. All models look awesome and if wallet allows, would also buy all of them!

we are in situation of replacing 2005 g35x infiniti. Bot subaru legacy and returned it due to rust and corrosion underneath and now questioning if we will get another subaru.

Looking at gs f sport, but figure later in year refresh coming and will wait.
Love the new rx and want to wait for that to come out though. I would imagine fully loaded will
be same price as gs f sport.
Old 04-06-15, 01:41 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
If you've seen the new LEDS on the RC/NX in action, the swiveling is not needed. We've previously had that feature on a previous IS, and the LEDs light coverage is still superior even at the straight ahead angle. Not to mention, the 4RX looks to have similar LED "turning" foglamps that double as turning lamps as the NX which also adds to the light intensity on turning.

I agree with the weight loss and the new hybrid powertrain.
Hi Nights,

I haven't seen it - NX is sold out in my area and not even on the showroom floor. I rarely see them driving around.

Do you know of any videos that demonstrates what you're talking about? My understanding is that LEDs are not as bright as HID (someone from the RX350 forums with LEDS said this somewhere).

Thanks,
Eric
Old 04-06-15, 06:20 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, I had HID on my previous 400h (which "swiveled"), and have LED headlights on my present RX450h (that are fixed). I drive a couple times a year for hours at night in the desert -- with absolutely no artificial illumination for extensive periods of time. While I've never lined-up the same model car with HID side-by-side to another with LEDs, I must say I've become very impressed with the LEDs over the nearly 3 years that I've owned them. I would have been fine with HID on my 2013 -- that's what I wanted -- and in fact griped that I had to pay the exorbitant upgrade price for the LEDs because of Lexus option packaging, but LEDs were what the package provided with other features I wanted, so I had no ability to "downgrade" to HIDs. Anyway, I find the color of the LEDs to be simply great -- clear with little if any yellow effect that even my old HIDs would display, and the width and "depth" (aka distance) the standard LEDs provide are superior in every way. Certainly headlight design is different from the 2nd Gen to 3rd, but I never use high beams, and never get flashed by some oncoming traffic in my 2013, yet have what I consider a far better night time driving experience. With my practical use of LEDs on my 2013 all this time, I honestly will always elect to have that technology in every one of my future rides if it is available to me. My MBZ has HIDs, and while they look fine, from an illumination and my drivers's perspective, I'll take the LEDs hands down without question.

Last edited by BertL; 04-06-15 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Fixed erroneous "auto correct"
Old 04-07-15, 05:14 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Currently I have a '14 RX 350. Actually I'm not considering but definitely getting one. So far my choice is 450 Sport with brown leather.
Old 04-07-15, 05:17 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
lexus is on fire. All models look awesome and if wallet allows, would also buy all of them!

we are in situation of replacing 2005 g35x infiniti. Bot subaru legacy and returned it due to rust and corrosion underneath and now questioning if we will get another subaru.

Looking at gs f sport, but figure later in year refresh coming and will wait.
Love the new rx and want to wait for that to come out though. I would imagine fully loaded will
be same price as gs f sport.

Lexus has similar problems, maybe not as severe but they do.
Old 04-07-15, 10:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by deusex
I've been posting on Lexus forums for over a decade. I have seen no evidence of any sort of underbody rust issue with Lexus.
Old 04-07-15, 10:55 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Hi Nights,

I haven't seen it - NX is sold out in my area and not even on the showroom floor. I rarely see them driving around.

Do you know of any videos that demonstrates what you're talking about? My understanding is that LEDs are not as bright as HID (someone from the RX350 forums with LEDS said this somewhere).

Thanks,
Eric
you should come down to Colorado Springs. My dealer has many NXs, even a few in F sport trim. Not selling as fast here as the news reports indicate they are nationally
Old 04-07-15, 11:03 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc400
I'm considering it. Will check it out after it's released. The acceleration issue with my fsport '13 infuriates me so much that I want to get rid of it.
I too have been bothered by the throttle issues, as well as the extraordinarily firm suspension. I was ready to get rid of mine ASAP until I was able to fix (somewhat) both issues. First, I got wider, slightly taller tires (245/55R19s) with an H rating. Has done an excellent job at muting the harsh ride characteristics. Then I had the ECU refreshed at the dealer (for free). It's been three weeks now, and the tech said that if I use the manual mode to shift and paddle shifters more often, the car will learn where I prefer the shift points. He said it would take 1-2 months to be complete, but I have already seen a difference in slow speed throttle response and gear selection.

So, "unfortunately" I was able to fix my current F sport to the point where it is enjoyable to drive, and at this point I can't justify getting a 4RX anytime soon with the money I would likely lose on my current car. With that said, like others have mentioned, I need to see it in person and drive it. Not completely sold on the styling, both in and out. But the build quality looks amazing, and they added all the tech I was hoping for (namely more power and an adjustable suspension). I am moving in a year (military) and will have to wait until at least early 2017 to do anything. In the meantime I am anxiously awaiting test drive reports. Reviewers routinely disliked the 3RX F sport, mainly because of a lack of power, too firm of a suspension, and throttle/gear function...go figure, I should have listened.
Old 04-07-15, 11:39 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Pawel, I find this hard to believe that Lexus has issues with rust. Can you provide a link to documentation of this? Any individual car can have a rust issue but it shouldn't be pervasive across the brand even in small degrees.
Thanks
Originally Posted by deusex

Quick Reply: Who is considering the new RX?