RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Who is considering the new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 07:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Looking for the 450H, but only if the powertrain is an improvement over the 3RX. Oh yea, the price has to be right too
I couldn't wait any longer so I bought myself a 3RX instead. Perhaps I'll revisit the 4RX a year or two later after the initial demand dies down. Unless they did something spectacular with the 4RX hybrid drivetrain, I rather not spend all that money for virtually the same power. Bummer, I really wanted the panaramic roof!
Old 07-24-15, 08:45 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Totally understand...really stinks it could be another 5-6 months yet. Crazy.
Old 07-24-15, 10:04 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
...Here are my thoughts....everytime a manufactuer designs something that is very different people tend to be very negative of it because they are just use to the old trends. But every time this happends people eventually accept these design changes and it will become mainstream. Just like when cars were all square boxes in the 70s and 80s when manufactuers started to make cars more round and curvy people didnt like that either. And look at now in 2016 those curvy cars sell like hotcakes and cars that still trend toward square rots in the dealership lots. Till this day my dad who is 65 years old still thinks El Caminos and El Dorado are much nicer looking than any modern 2016 car.

People said the same thing about how ugly the trapazoid grill the Audis have when they first appeard. But look at them now people consider that attractive now. So i am going to buy the RX anyways because I am forward thinking and feel that this is the future!
I'm not yet 60 and have plenty of new car purchases ahead of me, but I'm closer to what your Dad's design preferences seem to be. Actually, my very curvy 1995 SC300 and 2002 SC430 -- both I purchased new -- were a couple of the sexiest looking vehicles I've ever owned. As old-fashioned as it may make me, if either SC had similar styling and more current tech today, I'd have one on order as fast as I could drive to the dealer.

Anyway, the following is not directed at you specifically, but your comments got me thinking about the 4th Gen RX again (sorry!)...

As I've said in this thread before, I'm in the opposite camp from many here, and my 2013 RX450h may well be end of the line for Lexus and me. While I'm personally excited about the tech and most of the interior on the 4th Gen RX, I find the exterior front-end too aggressive and over-the-top for my taste ...same issue I have with the NX. I just can't stand the "bass mouth or baleen whale" looking grill and what I consider anime gaming design styling. Reliability is also #1 on my preferred priority list and something I've enjoyed with Lexus since 1994, but I just won't write a $65K+ check (yes, I pay cash and try to keep them 5-7 years) for a vehicle thats design has to maybe grow on me — at least as long as there are tradeoffs to be made with any vehicle purchase, and I have options I can consider. If all cars were pink, looked like they came out of a Japanese cartoon, or built out of rusty tin cans, well, I I'd have to buy one like everyone else I suppose, but that isn't the case today.

The most disappointing part of the 4th Gen RX announcement for me was Lexus appears to have gone “all in” with their aggressive RX design decision, potentially leaving a set of customers behind, when I don’t believe they needed to. While their design will surely bring younger folks into the fold, and will overcome some of the less-than-macho or more generic visual styling some took issue with on the 3rd Gen, I believe there are a set of customers — like myself — that want all the reliability and service we know with Lexus, and improved tech it appears the 2016s will have (not sure about 4th Gen RXh specs yet), but who also desire styling to not be quite so bold TODAY when they take that new 2nd-largest-purchase-in-their-lives off the lot. Lexus has done their market research, and there are vocal people with opinions that post here and on social media which is fine, but they can sometimes perhaps overshadow thoughts representing a more silent majority. Others that post have also never owned, and will probably never own an RX, unlike some of us… which again is fine, but I still wonder how many present and true prospective RX owners will be like me when it comes to considering design as part of their purchase decision… If you’re reading this thread, you’ve likely seen the "IS IT CLASSY" THREAD and it's poll. Assuming the majority of people frequenting and responding to posts/polls like that are enthusiasts, even with it's statistically too-small population, the poll seems to substantiate how the design appeals to a majority, but I find it interesting the not so insignificant percentage of enthusiasts taking issue with the design (who may come around over time), as well as those that are perhaps really turned-off. IMHO, the number is far from a small minority that could be discounted or poo-poo’d as we sometimes do with comments in threads like this.
I was convinced soon after purchasing my SC300 back in 1994 that I’d always have a Lexus, and well, since upgrading from a RAV4 to a new RX300, RX400h and present RX450h, I believed I would own an RX or certainly have a Lexus in my garage until I die… but, when it came time to replace my aging SC430, Lexus didn’t have a good alternative for a hardtop vert, combined with the dealership treating me very poorly at the time, which took me totally over the top. Two days later I traded in my SC430 and had my first German toy on order. The (unreliable) BMW was replaced with a MBZ a couple years ago. I’ve experienced the very latest automotive tech available from other luxury manufacturers for several years now, reinforcing my desire for Lexus to close-in on their competition as it appears they are with the 4th Gen RX. I’ve also had a less-than-100-mile new GLK loaner for a few days, so I’ve experienced more than a couple test drives in another somewhat smaller SUV than my present RX and even larger 2016 RX. I don’t trust reliability in either German car like I do my Lexi, and my service experience has not been as good — even with Lexus not being quite as good as it once was, but tech, creature comforts, and more-desirable exterior styling are in the running or perhaps ahead from other luxury mfgrs. My point here: Lexus essentially opened pandora’s box and I looked inside. I tasted, then bought from the competition. I have become comfortable having to make trade-offs and decisions if a vehicle completely turns me off as it did with BMW reliability, or now perhaps Lexus styling.
My proposed solution that Lexus could have done, but didn’t: Create an optional “Classic Appearance Styling Package”. If Lexus can create F-Sport variants off the traditional 3rd Gen RX350 and RX450h, as well as a Sports Appearance Package to get to what Lexus at the time perhaps considered a secondary market while the 4th Gen RX was in development — now, that the aggressive front-end design has become the Lexus standard, why not just do the flip and accommodate those that want a more “classy and elegant, yet sporty and not overly aggressive” optional styling package to capture that part of the market like me? My hope is Lexus does this before I and perhaps others jump ship. It’s interesting, as the weeks have gone by since the 2016 RX reveal, I’m spending more and more time reading and looking at other mfgr sites and reviews — even though I have no real need for a new vehicle -- but time will tell. Lexus has unlocked pandora’s box for me once again.
Old 07-24-15, 11:12 AM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
I'm not yet 60 and have plenty of new car purchases ahead of me, but I'm closer to what your Dad's design preferences seem to be. Actually, my very curvy 1995 SC300 and 2002 SC430 -- both I purchased new -- were a couple of the sexiest looking vehicles I've ever owned. As old-fashioned as it may make me, if either SC had similar styling and more current tech today, I'd have one on order as fast as I could drive to the dealer.

Anyway, the following is not directed at you specifically, but your comments got me thinking about the 4th Gen RX again (sorry!)...

As I've said in this thread before, I'm in the opposite camp from many here, and my 2013 RX450h may well be end of the line for Lexus and me. While I'm personally excited about the tech and most of the interior on the 4th Gen RX, I find the exterior front-end too aggressive and over-the-top for my taste ...same issue I have with the NX. I just can't stand the "bass mouth or baleen whale" looking grill and what I consider anime gaming design styling. Reliability is also #1 on my preferred priority list and something I've enjoyed with Lexus since 1994, but I just won't write a $65K+ check (yes, I pay cash and try to keep them 5-7 years) for a vehicle thats design has to maybe grow on me — at least as long as there are tradeoffs to be made with any vehicle purchase, and I have options I can consider. If all cars were pink, looked like they came out of a Japanese cartoon, or built out of rusty tin cans, well, I I'd have to buy one like everyone else I suppose, but that isn't the case today.

The most disappointing part of the 4th Gen RX announcement for me was Lexus appears to have gone “all in” with their aggressive RX design decision, potentially leaving a set of customers behind, when I don’t believe they needed to. While their design will surely bring younger folks into the fold, and will overcome some of the less-than-macho or more generic visual styling some took issue with on the 3rd Gen, I believe there are a set of customers — like myself — that want all the reliability and service we know with Lexus, and improved tech it appears the 2016s will have (not sure about 4th Gen RXh specs yet), but who also desire styling to not be quite so bold TODAY when they take that new 2nd-largest-purchase-in-their-lives off the lot. Lexus has done their market research, and there are vocal people with opinions that post here and on social media which is fine, but they can sometimes perhaps overshadow thoughts representing a more silent majority. Others that post have also never owned, and will probably never own an RX, unlike some of us… which again is fine, but I still wonder how many present and true prospective RX owners will be like me when it comes to considering design as part of their purchase decision… If you’re reading this thread, you’ve likely seen the "IS IT CLASSY" THREAD and it's poll. Assuming the majority of people frequenting and responding to posts/polls like that are enthusiasts, even with it's statistically too-small population, the poll seems to substantiate how the design appeals to a majority, but I find it interesting the not so insignificant percentage of enthusiasts taking issue with the design (who may come around over time), as well as those that are perhaps really turned-off. IMHO, the number is far from a small minority that could be discounted or poo-poo’d as we sometimes do with comments in threads like this.
I was convinced soon after purchasing my SC300 back in 1994 that I’d always have a Lexus, and well, since upgrading from a RAV4 to a new RX300, RX400h and present RX450h, I believed I would own an RX or certainly have a Lexus in my garage until I die… but, when it came time to replace my aging SC430, Lexus didn’t have a good alternative for a hardtop vert, combined with the dealership treating me very poorly at the time, which took me totally over the top. Two days later I traded in my SC430 and had my first German toy on order. The (unreliable) BMW was replaced with a MBZ a couple years ago. I’ve experienced the very latest automotive tech available from other luxury manufacturers for several years now, reinforcing my desire for Lexus to close-in on their competition as it appears they are with the 4th Gen RX. I’ve also had a less-than-100-mile new GLK loaner for a few days, so I’ve experienced more than a couple test drives in another somewhat smaller SUV than my present RX and even larger 2016 RX. I don’t trust reliability in either German car like I do my Lexi, and my service experience has not been as good — even with Lexus not being quite as good as it once was, but tech, creature comforts, and more-desirable exterior styling are in the running or perhaps ahead from other luxury mfgrs. My point here: Lexus essentially opened pandora’s box and I looked inside. I tasted, then bought from the competition. I have become comfortable having to make trade-offs and decisions if a vehicle completely turns me off as it did with BMW reliability, or now perhaps Lexus styling.
My proposed solution that Lexus could have done, but didn’t: Create an optional “Classic Appearance Styling Package”. If Lexus can create F-Sport variants off the traditional 3rd Gen RX350 and RX450h, as well as a Sports Appearance Package to get to what Lexus at the time perhaps considered a secondary market while the 4th Gen RX was in development — now, that the aggressive front-end design has become the Lexus standard, why not just do the flip and accommodate those that want a more “classy and elegant, yet sporty and not overly aggressive” optional styling package to capture that part of the market like me? My hope is Lexus does this before I and perhaps others jump ship. It’s interesting, as the weeks have gone by since the 2016 RX reveal, I’m spending more and more time reading and looking at other mfgr sites and reviews — even though I have no real need for a new vehicle -- but time will tell. Lexus has unlocked pandora’s box for me once again.

I was in the market to purchase a new SUV. I was hoping for that purchase to be the 2016 RX. I trolled the internet looking for any and all information I could find. I was really looking forward to my first Lexus, however, the design was not for me. There are just too many negatives for me. I am in my mid 60's but consider myself 'young' in terms of car design. ( I find the new Nissan Murano nicer looking than the 2016 RX but I would not consider it due to its transmission) I was looking for a classy vehicle, if one could ever consider a SUV a classy vehicle. I tried so hard to like it. I went to the NY Auto show to see it in hopes that in person it would look better. Sadly it did not. So I opted for the 2015 RX350 in instead. I usually keep my cars a long time and figure that by the time I will look for a new vehicle Lexus will have a 5th generation.
Old 07-25-15, 07:17 AM
sakaike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I share virtually all the same thoughts and opinions as the previous two posters. I have been anxiously awaiting this 4RX for over a year and a half. We also buy Lexi for the long term, and are currently on a 2004 2RX RX330 with 210,000 miles. We will be replacing it with an RX before the end of the year.

Ultimately, it came down to a tradeoff between cost versus benefits. We can afford the 4RX, but when you consider that I can get a 2015 3RX configured to my needs for under $50k OTD (a few percent under MSRP), and that the early 4RX's will be going for MSRP (likely) plus heavy taxes in SoCal, that $10k or so difference is too much for all the improvements I've been craving.

I can take or leave the exterior styling, but I was really looking forward to the 8-speed tranny, large display and other comfort and convenience improvements in the cabin, but the cost premium is too much. As a result, we're now planning on buying a 2015 RX350 in the next few months and putting another 200k miles on that one instead.
Old 08-07-15, 01:40 PM
dnguyen_GS430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both my GS and Wife's RX300 Silver Sport show it ages

Originally Posted by richard203
If it got 3rd row seats.
Both my 2001 GS430 and her 2001 RX300 are starting to show their ages and we are planning to replace 1 of them this year. I'm seriously considering the RX350 if they have 3rd row seats. The LX570 is over our budget and the GX 3rd row seats is a joke. I'm still driving my 01 GS as it has 320K miles on it. And that's right, I'm driving the 2015 Sienna Limited AWD. I must say, with kids and all, the Sienna is great. it's also nice for grandparents to come along and care for the kids.

Please Lexus, bring on the 7 seat RX.
Old 08-08-15, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Even a 7 seat RX is no replacement for your Sienna minivan. Now that I have kids, the minivan IMHO is a must have.
Old 08-08-15, 11:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I just picked up 2 passengers from the airport yesterday with 3 luggage total. I had no room left for anything so a 7 seater RX wouldn't fare any better unless the vehicle is much much larger. If I needed 7 seats, I would definitely opt for a minivan.
Old 08-09-15, 09:04 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I agree very much with Bert's earlier post. Lexus' intent was clearly to mix up the demographic of their market and that strategy is without a doubt very risky. I think back to previous automotive styling that I disliked and how it has fared.

Dodge trucks: hated the new styling with the fenders at a different height from the hood. It took a little while but I came to like it and the current models really look good.

Audi and their large-mouth Bass look. Hated it and still do. I am mildly surprised that such a hideous design is working for them but as a previous owner of Audi, I also know they don't learn from their mistakes.

Acura had the design language with the infamous bird beak grill. I hated it and it was another polarizing design. They softened it quite a bit in the latest new models and now it is quite attractive. I can only presume it was causing Acura some difficulty and so they took another shot at their corporate design. This is really what I am hoping Lexus will do before I am ready to replace my RX.

When a manufacuter makes such a radical design change they are clearly going in search of a new market. My wife and I may not fit in that new market and as Bert said, opening Pandora's box sets us free to evaluate other brands. I have liked past Lexus products very much, but they aren't the only game in town and even Lexus had to know this was going to send their traditional buyers back out to compare other models. Only time will tell if this strategy serves them well but they have made no secret that they are going after a more youthful market with their performance upgrades. It is too bad they can't recognize both their performance buyers (young) and their luxury buyers (mature) with unique variations that include taming that grill. Perhaps they will in time...
Old 08-10-15, 06:29 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I agree very much with Bert's earlier post. Lexus' intent was clearly to mix up the demographic of their market and that strategy is without a doubt very risky. I think back to previous automotive styling that I disliked and how it has fared.

Dodge trucks: hated the new styling with the fenders at a different height from the hood. It took a little while but I came to like it and the current models really look good.

Audi and their large-mouth Bass look. Hated it and still do. I am mildly surprised that such a hideous design is working for them but as a previous owner of Audi, I also know they don't learn from their mistakes.

Acura had the design language with the infamous bird beak grill. I hated it and it was another polarizing design. They softened it quite a bit in the latest new models and now it is quite attractive. I can only presume it was causing Acura some difficulty and so they took another shot at their corporate design. This is really what I am hoping Lexus will do before I am ready to replace my RX.

When a manufacuter makes such a radical design change they are clearly going in search of a new market. My wife and I may not fit in that new market and as Bert said, opening Pandora's box sets us free to evaluate other brands. I have liked past Lexus products very much, but they aren't the only game in town and even Lexus had to know this was going to send their traditional buyers back out to compare other models. Only time will tell if this strategy serves them well but they have made no secret that they are going after a more youthful market with their performance upgrades. It is too bad they can't recognize both their performance buyers (young) and their luxury buyers (mature) with unique variations that include taming that grill. Perhaps they will in time...
Well said.