RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Who is considering the new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 12:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Hi Nights,

I haven't seen it - NX is sold out in my area and not even on the showroom floor. I rarely see them driving around.

Do you know of any videos that demonstrates what you're talking about? My understanding is that LEDs are not as bright as HID (someone from the RX350 forums with LEDS said this somewhere).

Thanks,
Eric
Where in Washington are you? Lexus of Seattle currently has 4 on the lot, and Bellevue is showing 18. Not sure about Tacoma, Spokane, or down in Portland.

There are a few in my work parking lot now. They look great!
Old 04-07-15, 12:52 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Where in Washington are you? Lexus of Seattle currently has 4 on the lot, and Bellevue is showing 18. Not sure about Tacoma, Spokane, or down in Portland.

There are a few in my work parking lot now. They look great!
Wow that's a lot of NXs! I'm in Bellevue and will definitely have to check it out.

The RX HID vs. LED thread is not really encouraging (more money for less light) and I am hoping NX can at least equal HID output since it gives the car that extra bling.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...headlight.html

Whereabouts are you from, neighbor?
Old 04-07-15, 12:59 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

ericsan13,

I haven't tried the RX LEDs versus RX HIDs, but my IS has the LEDs and I love them. I would pick LED over HID in the future, if given the choice.

I'm a bit north of you, in Mukilteo.
Old 04-07-15, 02:49 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I too have been bothered by the throttle issues, as well as the extraordinarily firm suspension. I was ready to get rid of mine ASAP until I was able to fix (somewhat) both issues. First, I got wider, slightly taller tires (245/55R19s) with an H rating. Has done an excellent job at muting the harsh ride characteristics. Then I had the ECU refreshed at the dealer (for free). It's been three weeks now, and the tech said that if I use the manual mode to shift and paddle shifters more often, the car will learn where I prefer the shift points. He said it would take 1-2 months to be complete, but I have already seen a difference in slow speed throttle response and gear selection.

So, "unfortunately" I was able to fix my current F sport to the point where it is enjoyable to drive, and at this point I can't justify getting a 4RX anytime soon with the money I would likely lose on my current car. With that said, like others have mentioned, I need to see it in person and drive it. Not completely sold on the styling, both in and out. But the build quality looks amazing, and they added all the tech I was hoping for (namely more power and an adjustable suspension). I am moving in a year (military) and will have to wait until at least early 2017 to do anything. In the meantime I am anxiously awaiting test drive reports. Reviewers routinely disliked the 3RX F sport, mainly because of a lack of power, too firm of a suspension, and throttle/gear function...go figure, I should have listened.
Viperdoc,
Thanks for sharing your solutions to those issues. I'm ok with the suspension and am prefer the firmer ride. Bought the fsport because of the spindle-grill look and the suspension

On the acceleration I found that it's too much work using the paddle shifter every time I drive.
I find that you need to shift quickly and timely on the first two gears or you'll over-rev the engine.
paddle-shifting is nice but it takes about the same amount of efforts as shifting a stick so it wears me out. I long for the eco-normal-sport gear switch which will will solve my problem completely but unfortunately I'll have to wait for the next RX later this year.
Old 04-07-15, 04:53 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
If you've seen the new LEDS on the RC/NX in action, the swiveling is not needed. We've previously had that feature on a previous IS, and the LEDs light coverage is still superior even at the straight ahead angle. Not to mention, the 4RX looks to have similar LED "turning" foglamps that double as turning lamps as the NX which also adds to the light intensity on turning.

I agree with the weight loss and the new hybrid powertrain.
I found an article that mentions the weight loss!

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...york-auto-show

"That new sheetmetal conceals a chassis that uses significant amounts of aluminum to save weight, although Lexus isn't discussing specific figures."

Also, how do the foglamps turn?
Old 04-07-15, 05:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
ericsan13,

I haven't tried the RX LEDs versus RX HIDs, but my IS has the LEDs and I love them. I would pick LED over HID in the future, if given the choice.

I'm a bit north of you, in Mukilteo.
LED lightning has constantly improved since first introductions, so I dont doubt they do well in new cars... not to mention that new RX has new adaptive system as well, it should be way better than xenons.
Old 04-07-15, 06:03 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Also, how do the foglamps turn?
There's an additional light angled to the side in the fog light housing. I assume that's what lights up in the turns.
Attached Thumbnails Who is considering the new RX?-img_1022.jpg  
Old 04-07-15, 06:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

To the OP's original post...

Heck yeah, I will consider the 4RX. I always do when a new Lexus model comes out. I'm currently considering the RC!
Old 04-07-15, 06:42 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Pawel, I find this hard to believe that Lexus has issues with rust. Can you provide a link to documentation of this? Any individual car can have a rust issue but it shouldn't be pervasive across the brand even in small degrees.
Thanks
"I've been posting on Lexus forums for over a decade. I have seen no evidence of any sort of underbody rust issue with Lexus."

Guys check the GX forum, I found it after noticing rust under my GX. Also my 2014 RX has it as well as my 2013 LX.
Old 04-08-15, 07:56 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc400
Viperdoc,
Thanks for sharing your solutions to those issues. I'm ok with the suspension and am prefer the firmer ride. Bought the fsport because of the spindle-grill look and the suspension

On the acceleration I found that it's too much work using the paddle shifter every time I drive.
I find that you need to shift quickly and timely on the first two gears or you'll over-rev the engine.
paddle-shifting is nice but it takes about the same amount of efforts as shifting a stick so it wears me out. I long for the eco-normal-sport gear switch which will will solve my problem completely but unfortunately I'll have to wait for the next RX later this year.
I agree that is a PITA to use the paddle shifters all the time. I have stopped using them regularly over the past couple days and the shift points for the gearing has improved. I recently drove a hybrid from the dealer while they did the ECU refresh, and I thought having the eco/normal/sport setting was awesome. I think it was a real failure on Lexus' part to not put that into the 3RX f sport. I am glad it is in the new one. In two years I will look to get out of my car into a 4RX, but first I have to pay off my MDX and my wife's school loans
Old 04-14-15, 10:44 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a 2008 LS460L to the new 2014 S550. However, my wife drives a 2010 RX450h. I am very impressed with what I have read and seen about the all new 4RX. We are very seriously considering trading the 2010 RX for this new one. However, in no way are we going for the hybrid any more. It's a waste of money for the extra 5-6 mpg one gains. It will take years to make up the difference in the cost of the hybrid. It's also great to find out the 4RX runs on regular unleaded gas.
Old 04-15-15, 10:51 AM
quaraong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never considered owning a Lexus because all of their models look either ugly or weird imo. However, I just saw the re-designed 2016 from NY auto-show on the news and have fallen in love! Everyone knows Lexus builds high quality and reliable vehicles, no doubt. This new RX350, I believe, has now truly become the first perfect Lexus! Will be looking for one when we decide to have our first child next year.
Old 04-18-15, 03:16 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i'll take one... F Sport FTW...
Old 04-18-15, 05:35 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I agree that is a PITA to use the paddle shifters all the time. I have stopped using them regularly over the past couple days and the shift points for the gearing has improved. I recently drove a hybrid from the dealer while they did the ECU refresh, and I thought having the eco/normal/sport setting was awesome. I think it was a real failure on Lexus' part to not put that into the 3RX f sport. I am glad it is in the new one. In two years I will look to get out of my car into a 4RX, but first I have to pay off my MDX and my wife's school loans
Urm I have an F-Sport and mine has Eco, normal and Sport Mode? I thought all versions of the RX had this? Well they do here in the UK anyway.

Let me tell you, the 450h flies in Sport Mode, it comes alive!! It surprises a lot of people actually

Last edited by rayaans; 04-18-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 05:54 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tick Tock...

Yep I'm planning to trade for the new RX450. Will be my 3rd RX. Of all the things I'm excited to get is a red interior and the console parking brake switch -- like the one standard in the NX (at least it's in all the pics I see of the new RX interior):

I've hated the stupid parking brake pedal since it showed up; I miss the "classic" emergency brake lever to the right of the driver's seat. That's when it really was a useable brake. As my dad used to say in our hilly hometown, "If your brakes give out, pull up the parking brake; if that doesn't work, put it in PARK. And if that still hasn't slowed ya down, hit sumthin' cheap."

Ugh whining about an emergency brake sounds like some old grouch in a rocking chair.

The one remaining concern for me: Will the RX F-Sport seats be a little wider than those in the RC F-Sport? Those side bolsters aren't very forgiving, they're awfully firm. Hmmm again something an old fart would type.

So I might hafta go with the non-F-Sport hybrid and hope there's a cool interior color available. Tired of black, tired of parchment, I'll settle for saddle, just something different -- and with seats that won't give me bolster bruises.

p.s. Should I also post this in AARP Magazine?

Quick Reply: Who is considering the new RX?