RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 07:56 AM
rappyfly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is upgrade in Taiwan on rx and nx. Hope the new rx follow though.
http://www.lexus.com.tw/news_detail.aspx?nw=103
Old 04-21-15, 10:45 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
I noticed that too....it's just way skinnier than on the reveal. I wonder which one is the production?
If you look at the rear quarter shot and compare with the official press photos, the plastic trim still looks the same size. Basically it still runs halfway to the gas flap.

The way the picture was taken in the silver photos plays down the size of the trim. It's still very much there though.
Old 04-21-15, 04:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rappyfly
There is upgrade in Taiwan on rx and nx. Hope the new rx follow though.
http://www.lexus.com.tw/news_detail.aspx?nw=103
good catch - old RX and new NX will get auto-door opening under the rear end, just like Ford and number of other manufacturers by now... from April 2015 production.
Old 04-23-15, 08:58 PM
quack724
Driver School Candidate

Default 2016 RX availability and expected pricing?

Hi, I'm new to this forum. The Mrs and I are interested in the 2016 RX 450h; it will be our first Lexus.

Question to the experienced Lexus owners.

Since this will be a redesign, what is the best way to "get in line" to purchase ? Is there a wait list now? I imagine this will be hot seller like the Toyota Highlander seems to have been.

Also, what should one expect to pay ? At MSRP? or will Lexus do a ridiculous mark up? Any chance below MSRP ? I'm guessing it may take a year or more to get pricing closer to invoice.

I'm also wondering if folks have tried Costco Auto program. Supposedly, if a dealership does not have the exact car that you want, you can factory order it, or the dealership can request a trade with another dealer.

Last edited by quack724; 04-23-15 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 01:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Way too early to start thinking of purchase strategy. It will be a hot seller, and MSRP for some time. Lexus doesn't do markup over MSRP.
Old 04-24-15, 06:08 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by quack724
Hi, I'm new to this forum. The Mrs and I are interested in the 2016 RX 450h; it will be our first Lexus.

Question to the experienced Lexus owners.

Since this will be a redesign, what is the best way to "get in line" to purchase ? Is there a wait list now? I imagine this will be hot seller like the Toyota Highlander seems to have been.

Also, what should one expect to pay ? At MSRP? or will Lexus do a ridiculous mark up? Any chance below MSRP ? I'm guessing it may take a year or more to get pricing closer to invoice.

I'm also wondering if folks have tried Costco Auto program. Supposedly, if a dealership does not have the exact car that you want, you can factory order it, or the dealership can request a trade with another dealer.
Welcome to the forum.

I have personally "pre-ordered" two different new Lexus models before generally availability -- my former 2002 SC430, as well as my present 2013 RX450h (which was "just" a refresh of the 3rd Gen RX, not a complete new model as the 4RX will be). FWIW, I did the same thing with my present 2014 MBZ SLK.

As SW13GS suggests, Lexus does not play games with markups above MSRP. You MAY get a few dollars off, but it's unlikely at the outset when any car dealer can demand the greatest price while people want to be first, and old models are still on the lot. Any deal you get will be completely dependent upon your dealer and your specific deal you negotiate -- options, trade-in or not, etc. IMHO, no one here can give you solid recommendations on that front.

Be aware that different dealers get different allotments of vehicles based on a number of variables, and they don't have 100% control of the volumes and specific model/options they receive or can even special order at the onset of a new model while the "pipeline" starts to fill. e.g. in my experience, dealerships that are new, the largest in volume sales & service, and/or have more recently put literally millions into building or remodeling their dealerships will likely be the places that WILL have the greatest ability to special order and have more volume coming in than others -- especially at the onset. There are exceptions, but that's what I'd first consider if I wanted to take ownership again of one of the first of a new model off the line. Next, I'd prioritize the dealers you should visit based on those parameters, physically go to each one, start to form a relationship, and discuss your desire to special order. From previous threads, some dealerships will not want to play the special order game (and how you approach it with them may well make a difference too) -- that's their choice -- others, may, and then you can select how to proceed from there.

Also as was previously suggested, you may be a bit early trying to special order... there is no 100% for sure date when the first 4th Gen RX will hit dealers here in the US -- all that was said officially was "before year end" and there is plenty of previous discussion in this thread what that MAY mean. My personal experience ordering my 2013 RX450h Refresh was dealer special ordering opened up IIRC about 6 weeks after the Geneva reveal (like the NYC reveal for the 4RX), and it was 4 months almost to the day before I took delivery here in Southern California with the first shipment from Japan. So, what that means for the 4RX is anyone's guess at this stage. It's a long story in other 3RX threads, but I had developed a solid relationship with not only my sales person but the Sales Mgr that did the special ordering for a less than 1-year old $30M dealership (2nd one for the same dealer owner in the area), they both knew the exact options I wanted, they already had my deposit and commitment to trade-in my pristine low-mileage 2006 RX400h upon delivery, so I'm sure that all helped me get in line and it's why I got an email from the Sales Mgr the day he saw openings on his system for new RX models he could specify.

As far as buying services go, I have not personally used one, but again, from other threads, I've seen no positive situations with buyers using those services for first-off-the-line sort of deals, and I can't remember specific situations where special orders happened via them either (but perhaps there were and just no one posted that). IMHO, the buying services tend to work better to drive lower price when there are many cars available in the marketplace -- not something to likely consider in the first months of most any luxury mfgr model hitting dealer lots.

Good luck in your pursuit. My suggestion is if you have further questions on buying, it would be best for you to open a specific new thread for folks to help instead of getting lost in this general discussion thread. Also, take a look in the 3rd RX forum -- a few searches, including against my own userid in the early 2012 timeframe on my 2013 ordering/delivery, will provide many discussions on purchasing new RX and taking first delivery, etc.

See you on the boards.
Old 04-24-15, 10:23 AM
quack724
Driver School Candidate

Thanks SW13GS.

And Bert, wow...very helpful post. Thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences in such detail. I need to re-read it a few times to digest it
Old 04-24-15, 11:24 AM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BertL
As far as buying services go, I have not personally used one, but again, from other threads, I've seen no positive situations with buyers using those services for first-off-the-line sort of deals, and I can't remember specific situations where special orders happened via them either (but perhaps there were and just no one posted that). IMHO, the buying services tend to work better to drive lower price when there are many cars available in the marketplace -- not something to likely consider in the first months of most any luxury mfgr model hitting dealer lots.
Since I am a Costco member, when I began shopping for my new 2015 RX 350 in late December, I filled out the request on Costco's car buying service and received the message that the dealer (there's only one in my area) would contact me shortly. I never got the reply from the dealer. I contacted the dealer's internet department by email, asking for their "best" price. They gave me a price a couple thousand less than MSRP. Comparing that to Edmund's True Market Value, it was a good price. I used that info to negotiate when I went to the dealership. I also calculated my trade-in value on kbb.com which came out to about what I expected. The dealer offered me more than that on my trade. All in all it was a hassle free negotiating experience.
Old 04-24-15, 07:47 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Quack - I think a good dealer will get you a car from another dealer, in your color, your model, your options after the price is agreed upon. Yes, I think this applies to the Costco price, but check with your sales rep to be sure. Also, I think it's too early to anticipate price, but not too early to see what transpires here to give you ideas.
Welcome aboard.
Old 04-25-15, 07:25 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm a Costco member, just wondering what kind of discount members receive. The big question is if the car is fetching MSRP at first, do Costco members still get a discount?
Old 04-25-15, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm a Costco member, just wondering what kind of discount members receive. The big question is if the car is fetching MSRP at first, do Costco members still get a discount?
Generally they will exclude it, or the discount is very small.

I've tried to use these buying services in the past, I've always found that I can negotiate sometimes several thousand dollars more off of the price with little effort. I've never seen one thats a great deal.
Old 04-25-15, 06:48 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought a 2015 RX450h using Costco Car Buying Service with our local Lexus dealer. We did a custom order in December and just received our car last week. Price was $750 over dealer invoice. It was a very easy buying experience.
Old 04-25-15, 07:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats precisely it, $750 over invoice is not really a great deal on the car, especially with all the incentives out there now.
Old 04-26-15, 11:32 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Thats precisely it, $750 over invoice is not really a great deal on the car, especially with all the incentives out there now.
Exactly, my Dad got a new 2015 RX with MSRP $52,405 for $47,000 with film on front and mirrors.
Old 04-27-15, 05:53 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

To conclude this side bar on purchasing price, FWIW, my general impressions (and yes, there are always exceptions) from numerous reports in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd RX Forums over the years is:
-- People that want a new vehicle that is effectively first-off-the-line after a new major model introduction or refresh, tend to pay more for the same thing than those that wait a few months later as capacity ramps up to meet or exceed demand

-- For those that purchase vehicles sitting on a lot seem to many times get the better deal. If it's been sitting there longer, an even better deal is sometimes possible as the dealer wants to move their inventory. Time of month, if the December Sale or some other Lexus incentive is in effect, and time-of-year as it relates to when new models are coming out or old models are sitting on the lot at the same time influence pricing as well.

-- For those that elect to special order, their deal out-the-door is almost never as good as above. Can a special order get a discount, yes -- I have, but it seems to be very dependent upon the specific dealer and the specific deal. If all statements can be believed on the deals folks have actually received, special orders just don't get the same deep discounts in the end. Dealers that will (not all do) special order, just don't have the same sort of incentives to negotiate and give away their profit on a special order, as for vehicles sitting on their or even another dealer's lot right now.

-- Internet negotiation seems to be a great option for folks that are OK with the approach to pit dealer-against-dealer when the customer knows exactly what they want. For me personally, I use it as a leverage point that I'd prefer a personal relationship with the physical sales person I meet with, but if a deal can't be struck, I have 4 other Lexus Dealers within 45 mins of my home, and I am versed in the ways of the net if I don't feel the deal on the table is good enough for both of us.

-- A car buying service can also have positive benefits as above with someone else now doing the negotiation legwork between dealers, but there have been reports from folks that have instead used this as leverage with sales people or internet sales, since the dealership behind the scenes ends-up paying something like a $500 fee to the service when the deal closes. The customer's point becomes something like "take the fee off my deal and we can close now, or I'll go through internet sales and the dealership can write the check to the buying service later."
Lets now get back on track with the general discussion of the new RX reveal. No one can buy a 4th Gen RX yet, so as I previously suggested please go over to the 3rd RX Forum for more info or to discuss past purchasing experiences, or open a new thread in the 4th RX Forum to begin a more focused discussion how to buy a 4th Gen RX when that time arrives. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)