RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I buy a car...not a screen. Its not a computer, or a tablet, or a phone, or a television...its a car and the way its built, drives, rides, its feature set, how it looks and how reliable it is are all way more important to me than a few more pixels in a screen that is going to show me a map, a backup camera, and the title and track of the music I'm listening to. I want a nice, bright crisp screen...which I feel my GS has...beyond that, the difference between a 1440x540 and a 1280x480 is lost on me.

My new Kia Sedona minivan made a big deal about the high res OLED display between the gauges. Looks like the screen I had on the Jeep, and the one I have on the GS to me lol
Old 04-15-15, 02:19 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Compared to what?!? Its a map on a computer screen...how does one make it look "less outdated"?

People just say stuff, like "pop tart screen" for the hell of it.
Old 04-15-15, 02:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Interface aside, does it not make sense that the 12" screen technology will be the same as the 12" screen in the GS? I am referring to purely to resolution and not to the UI.

-Eric
screens are not same aspect ratio, they are not same screens at all. Things get improved all the time too.

If you look carefully at new screens, design of the interface seems to be of much higher quality, both pixel wise and color... it is much nicer screen.

And actually, automotive grade screens have nothing to do with chinese crap screens on tablets. I dont think any chinese manufacturer can pass Lexus tests, it takes such a long time and requires a lot of effort and experience that they dont have... Automotive tech is still a field where there are high margins and where quality matters, they likely cost 10x more... no wonder that Sony, Panasonic, and Hitachi are all expanding into more automotive work as part of their mid and long term strategies.
Old 04-15-15, 03:03 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
And actually, automotive grade screens have nothing to do with chinese crap screens on tablets. I dont think any chinese manufacturer can pass Lexus tests, it takes such a long time and requires a lot of effort and experience that they dont have...
You must be still living in the 20th century to think the Chinese are incapable of building anything more than "crap". Chinese manufacturers simply build things to specs. The people who build your "chinese crap screens" are also responsible for building some of the finest screens in the industry, such as the much touted unbreakable sapphire cover of the Apple Watch. In fact, the entire Apple Watch, as well as many other well-regarded Apple products known for quality (iPhone, iPad, Macbook, etc.), are made in China. So there, welcome to the 21st century.

Last edited by ydooby; 04-15-15 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-15-15, 03:22 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I buy a car...not a screen. Its not a computer, or a tablet, or a phone, or a television...its a car and the way its built, drives, rides, its feature set, how it looks and how reliable it is are all way more important to me than a few more pixels in a screen that is going to show me a map, a backup camera, and the title and track of the music I'm listening to. I want a nice, bright crisp screen...which I feel my GS has...beyond that, the difference between a 1440x540 and a 1280x480 is lost on me.

My new Kia Sedona minivan made a big deal about the high res OLED display between the gauges. Looks like the screen I had on the Jeep, and the one I have on the GS to me lol
Right, but the screen is big part of the feature set and is predominantly featured on the dashboard. There is a reason why a lot of people on the RX forum don't buy the nav system and why there are complaints about the poor quality video on the backup camera for example. We were discussing the screen and not the overall car. I can't think of anyone who buys the car for the screen...?

If you can't tell the difference, it doesn't mean others can't. This is the pursuit of perfection and just like the FWD vs. RWD topic, except the cost difference is much lower.

screens are not same aspect ratio, they are not same screens at all. Things get improved all the time too.

If you look carefully at new screens, design of the interface seems to be of much higher quality, both pixel wise and color... it is much nicer screen.

And actually, automotive grade screens have nothing to do with chinese crap screens on tablets. I dont think any chinese manufacturer can pass Lexus tests, it takes such a long time and requires a lot of effort and experience that they dont have... Automotive tech is still a field where there are high margins and where quality matters, they likely cost 10x more... no wonder that Sony, Panasonic, and Hitachi are all expanding into more automotive work as part of their mid and long term strategies.
Good to know about the different aspect ratio. I had assumed they were the same and am looking forward to seeing the improvement.

The majority of screens in all our high tech devices are manufactured in Republic of China and Korea...trust me, China does not need to design the tech when they can just steal from US companies, especially when we hand their firms the manufacturing details.
Old 04-15-15, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Right, but the screen is big part of the feature set and is predominantly featured on the dashboard. There is a reason why a lot of people on the RX forum don't buy the nav system and why there are complaints about the poor quality video on the backup camera for example. We were discussing the screen and not the overall car. I can't think of anyone who buys the car for the screen...?
I read the RX forum, people who don't buy the nav system don't buy it because they hate the Lexus nav, not because of screen quality. Most RX's sold have the nav system. Again though...the current RX is essentially 6 years old...the old screen being poor quality doesn't mean this one will be
Old 04-15-15, 07:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Good to know about the different aspect ratio. I had assumed they were the same and am looking forward to seeing the improvement.

The majority of screens in all our high tech devices are manufactured in Republic of China and Korea...trust me, China does not need to design the tech when they can just steal from US companies, especially when we hand their firms the manufacturing details.
well kind of not really :-).

In high end devices (tablets), you will find Sharp and JDI panels, nothing Chinese. Korean screens are of high quality.

But as I said, Automotive business is not the same as $99 tablet business. Currently no Chinese supplier supplies electronics to Toyota. It just does not work that way... we cant apply bottom of the barrel logic to automotive business. There is a reason cars are that expensive, even older screens might look bad graphically, but they have to be engineered to a lot stricter standards as well as tested for a long time and cost a lot, lot more than a tablet screen.

I just read yestered on Autonews how it takes around 5 years for new supplier to get into Japanese keiretsu.
Old 04-16-15, 09:00 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well kind of not really :-).

In high end devices (tablets), you will find Sharp and JDI panels, nothing Chinese. Korean screens are of high quality.

But as I said, Automotive business is not the same as $99 tablet business. Currently no Chinese supplier supplies electronics to Toyota. It just does not work that way... we cant apply bottom of the barrel logic to automotive business. There is a reason cars are that expensive, even older screens might look bad graphically, but they have to be engineered to a lot stricter standards as well as tested for a long time and cost a lot, lot more than a tablet screen.

I just read yestered on Autonews how it takes around 5 years for new supplier to get into Japanese keiretsu.
Denso makes most of the electrical stuff in Lexus models including the satnav, guage clusters and the nav and its Japanese
Old 04-16-15, 02:14 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Came across a nice high quality photo gallery of the new RX on the Lexus Asia website. Not sure if these have been posted elsewhere, if not can someone can please post them in this thread ? Am not sure how to do that

The looks may not be for everybody, but the more i am seeing the new RX with better pics and in different colors etc the more i feel this will be a home run for Lexus.

http://lexusasia.com/thenewRX/
Old 04-16-15, 08:08 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Finally figured how to insert images

Source: http://lexusasia.com/thenewRX/

Old 04-16-15, 09:20 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
Finally figured how to insert images
Thanks for posting and wow. Just a stunning rear end. Really confident and expressive with a lot of nice details in the bodywork.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-17-15 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-17-15, 04:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Just a stunning rear end. Really confident and expressive with a lot of nice details in the bodywork.
you make it sound like kim kardashian.
Old 04-17-15, 09:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you make it sound like kim kardashian.
it was pretty darn plain previously... only good thing on last RX was predator grille update :-).
Interior and back was as vanilla as possible.
Old 04-17-15, 12:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Not a silver fan, but wow! Great contrast with the deep red interior
Old 04-17-15, 12:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Confirmed that the nav system in the 2016 RX is Gen8 albeit revised so technically 8.5

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)