RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 03:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
Bearcat/spwolf - I think the flashing brake lights at :22 are the 4-way flashers, turned on for effect in the video, not the tail lights or directionals.
Ray A.
yes, same vehicle at previous video, that had dynamic blinkers, was also 4 way.
Old 04-07-15, 07:45 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
Bearcat/spwolf - I think the flashing brake lights at :22 are the 4-way flashers, turned on for effect in the video, not the tail lights or directionals.
Ray A.
But then how do you get the dynamic lights to utilize both sides without turning on the hazards? Or maybe its just a fancy thing they have to show it off at the show.
Old 04-07-15, 09:58 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Reimagining the 4RX

I wasn't happy with the 4RX beak and wanted to see just how big it was..turns out it's quite the addition to the 4RX.

Step 1: Start with 4RX

Step 2: Approximately overlay 3RX (look at how long the nose has gotten!)

Step 3: Shrink the beak

Step 4: Remove overlay - enjoy beakless 4RX

Step 5: Another look without the lower lip

Step 6: Here they are side by side for comparison...maybe Lexus thought 4RX would look too similar to 3RX so they extended the nose?

Thoughts?
Old 04-08-15, 03:22 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

ericsan, after viewing the '16 RX at the NYIAS yesterday (also a white F-Sport), the front end is not as prominent as pictures seem to show. Not to say your modification isn't nice but I would wait until you have a chance to see it in person. You might be pleasantly surprised. And I consider myself a little hypersensitive to the changes Lexus has made to the RX.
Old 04-08-15, 04:10 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I wasn't happy with the 4RX beak and wanted to see just how big it was..turns out it's quite the addition to the 4RX.

Step 1: Start with 4RX

Step 2: Approximately overlay 3RX (look at how long the nose has gotten!)

Step 3: Shrink the beak

Step 4: Remove overlay - enjoy beakless 4RX

Step 5: Another look without the lower lip

Step 6: Here they are side by side for comparison...maybe Lexus thought 4RX would look too similar to 3RX so they extended the nose?

Thoughts?
Thanks for the work. The image with the chopped-off beak looks even stranger since that makes the butt stick out. With the beak on, at least the car looks symmetrical at both ends.
Old 04-08-15, 12:02 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by kitlz
ericsan, after viewing the '16 RX at the NYIAS yesterday (also a white F-Sport), the front end is not as prominent as pictures seem to show. Not to say your modification isn't nice but I would wait until you have a chance to see it in person. You might be pleasantly surprised. And I consider myself a little hypersensitive to the changes Lexus has made to the RX.
Thanks Anita, I am very much looking forward to seeing it in person! The pictures seem to indicate that front overhang increased by 6" (measuring the size of the wheel vs. the additional overhang), which is much more than the 3" stated. I hope the final production model shows this.

-Eric
Old 04-08-15, 12:29 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks good in person! Saw it briefly at NYIAS
Old 04-09-15, 10:25 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Thanks Anita, I am very much looking forward to seeing it in person! The pictures seem to indicate that front overhang increased by 6" (measuring the size of the wheel vs. the additional overhang), which is much more than the 3" stated. I hope the final production model shows this.

-Eric
Eric, I spent a good 20 minutes looking at the RX spin around. It made more sense the longer I was there. The 20" rims helped. BTW, they fill the wheel well nicely. One note, there is space behind that grill so maybe Lexus has something up its sleeves for the future. And the '16 RX at the show is a prototype. Anything can change between now and launch in October or November.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)-2016-rx-side-angle-front-2.jpg   2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)-2016-rx-front-grill.jpg  
Old 04-09-15, 10:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Remove overlay - enjoy beakless 4RX
Great.. now you cost it the 30hp
Old 04-09-15, 02:26 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ericsan13:
You should be on the 2016 Lexus RX 350 design team. Nice job dialing back the front "snout". The side profile looks MUCH better.

As Anita pointed out "the '16 RX at the show is a prototype. Anything can change between now and launch in October or November", let's hope Lexus is following the initial response in this forum and will make some subtle changes to satisfy both those who like the new 2016 and those who don't. Personally I can't get over the front profile with that overly huge grill.
Old 04-09-15, 03:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by kmar
ericsan13:
You should be on the 2016 Lexus RX 350 design team. Nice job dialing back the front "snout". The side profile looks MUCH better.

As Anita pointed out "the '16 RX at the show is a prototype. Anything can change between now and launch in October or November", let's hope Lexus is following the initial response in this forum and will make some subtle changes to satisfy both those who like the new 2016 and those who don't. Personally I can't get over the front profile with that overly huge grill.
pretty much nothing can change except minor things like some plastic somewhere... external design certainly wont be changed.

However, we know the size already, it has 3" longer overhangs than before, it is not a big deal.
Old 04-09-15, 04:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

kmar, I wish Lexus had a different color F-Sport at the show because I felt like the black/white contrast emphasized the grill. White was the dominant color for Lexus this year it seems. There is a picture of a 450h in USB 2.0 (?) with the horizontal grill on the back of the '16 RX brochure I was given (Right next to it is the disclaimer, "Prototypes shown with options.") I have to say it blends in better.
Old 04-09-15, 05:05 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The reason why everybody judges so much before a car comes out is because they haven't seen it in person. When you imagine a car, you should imagine it from a human eye level perspective. Nobody ever gets down to look at a car as if you were the height of a child.

In real life, you would never be able to tell the nose was that long because your perception of depth between the ground and the bottom of the bumper is diffused by your own positioning.

This is the reason why people are so critical of designs when they first came out and exactly why they say "the design is growing on me" as they come to have real life experience with the design.
Old 04-10-15, 11:05 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by G Star
The reason why everybody judges so much before a car comes out is because they haven't seen it in person. When you imagine a car, you should imagine it from a human eye level perspective. Nobody ever gets down to look at a car as if you were the height of a child.

In real life, you would never be able to tell the nose was that long because your perception of depth between the ground and the bottom of the bumper is diffused by your own positioning.

This is the reason why people are so critical of designs when they first came out and exactly why they say "the design is growing on me" as they come to have real life experience with the design.
You do look at it from the height of a child. Think about when you are sitting in a car. It will be obvious to car drivers that the front overhang is there. Also when you are far away in the parking lot approaching your car. This will be a similar angle to what is shown in the pictures. There will be many other cases where it is obvious.

I don't understand how the nose could've grown three inches when it's the same engine. I do hope to have the real life experience that makes me accept the design but don't you think that a good design should not have to grow on you?

-Eric
Old 04-10-15, 12:01 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

The NX looked very different in person than it did in the early photographs. I'm thinking the same thing holds true for the 4RX. Nice job ericsan on the overlays.
Ray A.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)