RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 09:17 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights

I actually think the OP's post that you were replying to is pretty spot on. Not the bit about recent buyer envy (although that too is true; the 3IS forums were filled with posts from 2IS owners initially), but the fact is that Lexus is trying to target a new demographic, that will be buying cars for the next 20-30 years. They're trying to elicit an emotional response from buyers. People used to by Lexus vehicles for a number of reasons, mainly rational ie. value, reliability. You didn't desire a Lexus, you bought one because it was the right and proper thing to do. People in the 30-45 age bracket nowadays want different, they buy more with their hearts. And Lexus is trying to add that emotional element to their cars (I just wish they would hurry up and put the same effort into their drivetrains! Still have high hopes for the LC). They want people to actually WANT a Lexus (their design chief has even said that the old designs were about not wanting to alienate ANYONE, so everything got watered down to not potentially offend any group, hence the "bland" design reputation that Lexus got) and generally I find, if they get them into the dealership and walk out with one Lexus, the time old reliability, quality and customer service will bring them back for addition Lexii (?sp) down the track, especially if the designs continue to elicit that emotional response. This is vitally important in Asia which is a growing market (the NX for example is going gangbusters in Asia and Europe), and also if they want to have any hope of continuing to grow in Europe, they need to be different from their continental competition. Lexus will never grow as a brand, if it continues to market purely to the US, and that being said, they're still achieving record sales in the US with their spindle grilled new models.

That's not saying their designs can't be improved, I do think the 4RX is a little busier than it needs to be, but Lexus is trying to separate itself from the Germans by celebrating it's Japanese-ness, which I think it's great. More choice for all. And after all, if I wanted a vehicle that was a carbon copy of what the German brands were doing, I'd just go buy one of them.
This is the best post on this entire thread.
Old 04-02-15, 09:27 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gotta love opinions.

i'm with you. it may be 'bold' (in a mad max kind of way) but it's NOT elegant. it's just weird. to much going on.

i also can't stand leather boots around auto shifters. they just look sloppy to me and collect dirt.

this is no glamor shot but i do think the jgc summit is elegant and beautifully proportioned. note short front overhang and no black crap over wheel arches!

but the new rx will sell well anyway and besides design it obviously has a ton of upgraded features.
But it is a crappy Jeep; did you see the list of cars that YAHOO said do NOT buy; , 3 were Jeeps; the Italians have their own idea of quality and reliability!!!!!!
Old 04-03-15, 03:07 AM
ssid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who gives a crap about what Yahoo says about automobiles ? If you want to know more about the Jeep I think its fair to have an opinion from someone who actually owns one, say people from http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/ and not from some office editors at Yahoo who know nothing about automobiles.
Old 04-03-15, 03:57 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

everyone will eventually warm up to it once they see it in person.

Human nature is to **** on anything that changes eg when spiderman came out with Andrew Garfield, I was like WTF - he looks like a pune, doesnt look like no spiderman and then I slowly accepted him being spiderman. Same thing will happen here.

And IMO the jeep looks like a box on wheels. Its what I used to draw as a kid ha
Old 04-03-15, 04:56 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by G Star
So you are claiming that younger people like the style but only older people have the money to afford Lexus?

Why are Lexus dealerships reporting half of all new IS sales being F-Sports?
The IS is more of a young persons car. That's fine. It's designed to be sleek and different. They gave me a IS as a loaner. Can't say I liked it very much. Tight fit,seats that are more for the race car type. Also way to close to the road for the older set. I,would need one of those lift chairs to get out of it. But-- I think it's a great car for anyone,that wants that type of auto. That's a young persons car. If I was a whole lot younger-- could be that is what I would buy.
Old 04-03-15, 05:41 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, talk about a stretch? lexus screen is on top, bmw doesn't have leather around the shifter... bmw has dual main gauges... on and on.

i agree.

funny... at dinner last night a Q7 was parked next to me. looked AWESOME, classy, elegant.

it's like a venza on steroids.

agreed - rayaans, knock it off.

that's because it's like the on in your jeep.

i pretty much agree it's completely over the top.

disagree there though they likely will still go up.

lexus has obviously chosen to go for polarizing styling to get 'noticed'. in this social-media / selfie-obsessed / "look at me" age, they might be right on point.

if i got an rx, it would be black.
Lexus IS going down the wrong path. I guess they don't recall the Ford Edsel --- ford biggest mistake ever. Kind of reminds me of that blunder. Once an ugly duckling,always an Ugly duckling. Remember that big old vertical grill that was going to change the way of future design--- we all know how that ended.
Old 04-03-15, 06:19 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They forgot the Ac button again!
Old 04-03-15, 06:55 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If you can put three platforms together to build an RC coupe, you can build an SUV off of the GS platform. Would it take more cost? Yes. But if you truly want to build world class vehicles you have to invest in these things. These are not truly world class vehicles that you can say are the peers or the top of the heap in their classes while they're FWD. Thats just the way it is.

MB has one FWD car. Again...these companies are moving downmarket to get volume, thats the reason for FWD. Lexus has said they aren't going to do that, they don't have to do that...so why are they continuing to use retreaded Camry and Corolla platforms when they have an excellent and adaptable rigid, lightweight RWD platform there they can develop off of?

Audi at least does their AWD lineup right. The cars have a FWD basis, but at least you get the engine pointing the right way.
If the RX cost another 5-10k, and had less interior room, plus added a bunch more weight (based on them wrangling the current GS into SUV form) would it still sell as well? If they're going to properly share platforms, the platform has to be designed from the get go. Akio's only been in charge of Lexus for barely 4-5 years. Give it time. Platforms take time to develop and produce (ie TGNA).

I didn't realise the CLA, GLA, A Class, B class and variants were all one car. They're all FWD no? Again, like I said before, Lexus wasn't seen as a separate brand by Toyota execs up until recently. It was merely a distribution channel. A way to make more profit from the same platforms. Sort of how VW views Audi nowadays.

And Audi really isn't a great example, their cars have really handled like crap compared with their German rivals. Other than being able to put down good 0-60 times due to their Quattros, there hasn't ever really been a reason to buy an S or an RS over a M/AMG. Handling wise, it hasn't been hard to tell the platforms are FWD biased.
Old 04-03-15, 06:58 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LSG89
No biggie, I did too (few months ago), my friend bought an Audi R8 at 23.
That's no biggie at all with how cheap cars are in the US.

Come do that in Australia with our car prices, and I'll be impressed
Old 04-03-15, 08:42 AM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There seems to be an agreement in general that Lexus is going for a younger buyer with the new look of the RX. Although I'm not totally sold on the new look I hope they offer more exciting colors. For example, bring back the Matador Red, a brighter bolder blue, and perhaps a forest green.
Old 04-03-15, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
If the RX cost another 5-10k, and had less interior room, plus added a bunch more weight (based on them wrangling the current GS into SUV form) would it still sell as well? If they're going to properly share platforms, the platform has to be designed from the get go. Akio's only been in charge of Lexus for barely 4-5 years. Give it time. Platforms take time to develop and produce (ie TGNA).
I don't see why the RX on a GS platform would have to cost $5-10k more. I acknowledged above that I'm willing to give it time, but the FWD architecture is a major issue for Lexus. They're never going to be looked upon with parity if their top selling cars are FWD.

I didn't realise the CLA, GLA, A Class, B class and variants were all one car. They're all FWD no?
I'll grant you the GLA, didn't think about it, but the A Class and B Class aren't really sold here, the B Class only as an electric car which is a niche.

In any event, these are downmarket value cars. Lexus is selling FWD cars up in the mid market segment at $45-65k...
Old 04-03-15, 09:11 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just took look at the 2016 RX videos on the lexus website... Its official; I LIKE IT!
Old 04-03-15, 11:12 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
3. The lower-edge of the grill is low. Is this an international model that is being shown? I am thinking that North American models may have a higher front grill and greater front under-slope to give the SUV a better approach angle (that may have a slight effect on the look of the front overhang). Because SUVs -- even car-based crossover SUVs -- in the USA are categorized as trucks, they must have great approach and departure angles. International models do not have this regulatory restriction so can have lower front grills.
Disclaimer: I'm writing my opinion as a sample size of one early-30s guy. I am probably not representative of my age group.

I love sporty cars, but I'm not going to pretend that a RX is track-sporty. I really hope what was released is the international model and they will remove that silly lower front spoiler. SUVs are supposed to be rugged and capable and a bash plate would match the nasty plastic fender arches better. That protruding spoiler is asking to be cracked when taken off-road. If they want sporty, they should make it offroad-sporty like Jeep.

The conversation seems to have migrated to RWD vs. FWD. I really don't see what's so great about RWD in a SUV. For me, AWD is superior and it doesn't make sense for Lexus to develop a RWD SUV. The future is moving towards hybrids/electrics and a electric motor at the rear is good enough for me. Technology advances will make a RWD platform irrelevant by the time it is developed.

IS is too young and not respectable for someone in their 30s as a primary car. I'd like to think that 20-30s people will buy a car (WRX, GTI are popular) if they want sports as opposed to luxury car (unless you just want to flaunt brand name). Most IS (~80%?) out there are the 250 which is just as slow as the 3RX. That's not to say that IS would be great as a second car and I would take one in a heartbeat.

I bought the RX primarily for reliability, comfort, and practicality. Secondary benefits are speed, ruggedness, and technology. I buy a plush SUV as a daily driver so that I can sit high while stuck in traffic and still be able to go on weekend adventures with friends and cargo. As a younger buyer I like to think that older folks are wiser and I emulate their choices. Too many people have small luxury cars and it's really not special anymore, at least among my friends and in my city.

Anyway just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt!

-Eric

Last edited by ericsan13; 04-03-15 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 11:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I don't see why the RX on a GS platform would have to cost $5-10k more. I acknowledged above that I'm willing to give it time, but the FWD architecture is a major issue for Lexus. They're never going to be looked upon with parity if their top selling cars are FWD.

I'll grant you the GLA, didn't think about it, but the A Class and B Class aren't really sold here, the B Class only as an electric car which is a niche.

In any event, these are downmarket value cars. Lexus is selling FWD cars up in the mid market segment at $45-65k...
more and more vehicles from MB and BMW are FWD, not to mention Audi which has all of its vehicles as FWD, and I dont see anyone complaining.

RX as RWD based vehicle would be pointless.
Old 04-03-15, 11:50 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Have Happy Easter Everyone

I think they went a bit too aggressive on this one. They may lose some female buyers but surely will gain some more males. It has not been to the dealers yet but we are already seeing guys, those that said they would never drive an RX, showing interest in the vehicle. It's gonna be another success for Lexus for sure. My wife already had had her mind on 4RX when we purchased the 3RX. Like they say, once you Rx-ed, you can't go back.

Kudo to those who could afford a Lexus in their 20s. I was still riding my bicycles and taking barts at that age. If you can afford a (new) Lexus comfortably, to you.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)