RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 08:42 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
funny... at dinner last night a Q7 was parked next to me. looked AWESOME, classy, elegant.

agreed - rayaans, knock it off.
Erm the new Q7 has only just been shown at auto shows, its not on the roads yet. Don't know which Q7 you saw but im referring to the fatter Audi A6 with bigger wheels

And ageist? Oh well, so what? Its OK when the sexist "soccer mom RX" remarks are going down isnt it?
Old 04-02-15, 08:46 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the pics above, I prefer the BMW interior. After looking at multiple pics since the release yesterday, I have become more and more put off by the 4RX styling, both in and out. The interior seems way too busy....someone already listed the use of 9 different colors/materials, and it doesn't look elegant anymore. Upscale build quality, yes, but not elegant.

And I still can't figure out why they put that nav screen popping out of nowhere. Did the designers really sit down and say "I think this very intrusive rectangle coming straight out of an otherwise curvy dash will be just what people want to see"? They made the right side slightly curved, in a half hearted attempt to soften its impact, but it doesn't work. The one in the NX is even worse, and looks completely out of place. Reminds me of my Infiniti G35 coupe years ago that had a pop up nav screen. Looked horrible when it was out, but at least it could be lowered and hidden in the dash, and when it was out, it didn't protrude above the rest of the dashboard. Overall, yuck.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)-g35-nav-screen.jpg  
Old 04-02-15, 08:46 AM
DeeDeeRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Just look at this and compare it to current RX... amazing.

Yes, the interior is gorgeous, without a doubt. The Tech and the mechanical improvements are very attractive.

I am hoping that the exterior will grow on me but I still think it looks like a Highlander or a Nissan. I can understand wanting to save costs by utilizing similar platforms like Audi/VW but this is not a exterior design that is attractive at all. I probably will look into the M Class for the next vehicle.
Old 04-02-15, 08:56 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DeeDeeRX
Yes, the interior is gorgeous, without a doubt. The Tech and the mechanical improvements are very attractive.

I am hoping that the exterior will grow on me but I still think it looks like a Highlander or a Nissan. I can understand wanting to save costs by utilizing similar platforms like Audi/VW but this is not a exterior design that is attractive at all. I probably will look into the M Class for the next vehicle.
I tend to agree. The overexaggerated spindle grill works better on the IS, RC, and even GS F. Even the NX is a bit much. On the RX it makes it look like they are trying too hard. Very polarizing
Old 04-02-15, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

This happens every time a new model is released, without fail. Everybody says they hate the new model (specifically people who own the old model, funny how that works) and that its going to be a huge failure. Then...about a year later, lots of them own the new model LOL.

The 4GS forum and the 3IS forum are full of people who constantly ragged on the new cars to the point of driving people nuts...that now own the new cars they professed to hate.

You'll see...there will eventually be a huge 4RX forum full of people talking about the new car, getting it, posting pics...and you'll come around.
Old 04-02-15, 09:14 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This happens every time a new model is released, without fail. Everybody says they hate the new model (specifically people who own the old model, funny how that works) and that its going to be a huge failure. Then...about a year later, lots of them own the new model LOL.

The 4GS forum and the 3IS forum are full of people who constantly ragged on the new cars to the point of driving people nuts...that now own the new cars they professed to hate.

You'll see...there will eventually be a huge 4RX forum full of people talking about the new car, getting it, posting pics...and you'll come around.
You're probably right. I do think my 2013 RX looks dated inside, but this new one is such a stark departure in the styling department. And, obviously, we are only looking at pictures. Actually sitting in it and driving it may lead people to a completely different conclusion. I think the build quality looks amazing. I still don't ever think I will like where the nav screen is though.
Old 04-02-15, 09:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As you look at it and you see it in person over time it won't seem that stark a departure.

Think about the 4GS. When it came out people thought it was insane...a huge departure, now people are back to calling it bland:

Old 04-02-15, 09:17 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I have no doubt that people will continue to buy the RX (and Lexus in general), mostly based on their previous merits. And design does tend to grow on people. But then there are those cars that simply win people over immediately. This new direction has yet to give people that reaction, and generates just as much criticism.
Old 04-02-15, 09:23 AM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mbrown
I totally don't get the mouse-like controller either!! I was SO expecting it to have the touch pad like the NX has!! I LOVE everything else about it though. My 2006 RX will definitely be turning into a 2016 RX!!
In one of the reviews of the new 2016 the writer was glad they stuck with the mouse-like controller rather than going to the touch pad. When shopping for my new 2015 a few months ago I looked closely at the NX and tried the touch pad, but I prefer the mouse controller. To each his./her own!
Old 04-02-15, 09:24 AM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, probably the truest statement made.
Old 04-02-15, 09:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
I have no doubt that people will continue to buy the RX (and Lexus in general), mostly based on their previous merits. And design does tend to grow on people. But then there are those cars that simply win people over immediately. This new direction has yet to give people that reaction, and generates just as much criticism.
I don't agree when you're talking about enthusiasts of the brand.

I read and post on a LOT of auto forums, and I have for over a decade. This is not a unique to Lexus phenomenon, and this is not unique here to the spindle cars. It was this way when they refreshed the LS for 1998. It was this way when the 3GS came out. People with the 2GS thought it was hideous! People on the LS430 STILL try and pretend that their LS430s are better than brand new LS460s. People on the LS460 forums say they bought used LS's to avoid the spindle...which is BS...they bought them because they were cheaper.

You should have seen the Jeep forums when the WK2 Grand Cherokee came out. They thought it was terrible looking. Now the biggest forum on there is the WK2 forum. WK2 refresh in 2014, anarchy! Now you rarely see a poster with a pre-refresh WK2.

Change is hard, and its normal human behavior to outwardly express preference for what you have over the next thing which you don't have. Its like people who say they prefer the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6. They prefer it because they have an iPhone 5. If someone offered to give them an iPhone 6...they'd take it.

If someone offered to give any of you with a 3RX this 4RX...you'd take it...and you'd love it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-02-15 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 09:29 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I applaud Lexus for going bold here but the execution makes me now wish for a bit of restraint.
Old 04-02-15, 09:30 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DeeDeeRX

The exterior will grow on you--- just like a wart---why would they put those cheap plastic fender well add on's. Looks more like jeep and silverado crap. The interior--- way to busy for me. Not a clean surface anywhere. Your going to see plenty of big time negative remarks from the big boys like motor trend and Car and Driver. This RX is a mistake. Hello infinity,Audi,lincoln and even Buick--- never thought I would say that.
Old 04-02-15, 09:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think the interior is a big improvement over the last one, the last one I was not a fan of. The power upgrade is nice. The exterior I am just not a fan of. Way too busy, way too many creases and angles that don't do anything positive for the overall design nor is that kind of aggressive styling needed for a RX or its buyers. That big mouth grill just does not work on many vehicles including the RX. I took a closer look at the RC350 coupe with a couple friends and the verdict was it was kind of ugly mainly due to that big in your face grill and also some needless creases.
Old 04-02-15, 09:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by markneups
The exterior will grow on you--- just like a wart---why would they put those cheap plastic fender well add on's. Looks more like jeep and silverado crap. The interior--- way to busy for me. Not a clean surface anywhere. Your going to see plenty of big time negative remarks from the big boys like motor trend and Car and Driver. This RX is a mistake. Hello infinity,Audi,lincoln and even Buick--- never thought I would say that.
No coincidence you just bought a 2015 RX and are justifying that decision huh? Couldn't have made it up better example of what I described above myself LOL

Lexus is used to negative remarks from Auto magazines, don't worry lol

Like I said, if someone offered to give you this 2016 RX in exchange for your 2015 RX...you'd take it.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)