RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 04:18 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Thats the point! Lexus is trying to be unique and it seems to have worked on you. Its competing with other cross over SUVs from the big premium luxury makers, period. The RX used to be in its own category but now its moving into X5 territory. Even though RX sales destroys X5 sales, with the addition of the third row feature among other things, Lexus wants to move the RX up a little bit.

-Looks bigger, longer, wider
-Has third row option (just like the X5)
-Panoramic roof (like X5, Cayenne, GL)
-More aggressive design
-More luxurious interior and more options
-That front end is just screaming to be put on the 1st place podium

by the way, for all who are curious!

COLOR HEAD UP DISPLAY PICS (don't ask me how I found em)

INSIDE THE FLOATING WINDOW~

MORE OF FLOATING WINDOW AND HUGE REAR MONITORS

The HUD is very similar to the one in the NX.

Overall I quite like the RX (we have a RX450h); yes the design is a little busy, and there are some bits I think it didn't quite need on the exterior, but clearly Lexus want to differentiate themselves from the Germans, and offer a "Japanese" version of a luxury vehicle, rather than just imitate the 3 Germans.

I think the Lexus design boss said it best in one of his interviews about the NX where he said they had 3 designs to choose from, and 2 were quite similar to what their German competitors were doing. They decided to work on the one that was different, because in his words: "If I wanted to buy a vehicle that looked like one of the German alternatives, why wouldn't I just buy one of the German ones rather than a Japanese variant that was trying to look like a German one". And hence, the bold NX that we have today that is selling gangbusters.

I think Lexus have done their research on their demographics, they clearly see they need to start appealing to younger as well as older buyers if they're going to have continued success in the future. Personally, I've had many colleagues that wouldn't have considered a Lexus prior to the 3IS/NX/RC designs. Now several of them have bought new Lexus vehicles, swapping their X3s, 3, C etc.

I do find it odd though, that people seem so ready to write off a car without seeing it in person, in motion, and/or test driving it. So many cars are different in person than viewed through a flat picture. Personally I wasn't sure about the NX till I saw it in person, then wow, it looked purposeful and had real presence.

I'd definitely be interested in checking it out. Would like to see what interior options the 450h F Sport has.
Old 04-02-15, 04:55 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
One item I noticed that will be missed is the convenient driver's side vent cup holder not on the 4RX.

If you take a good look at the buttons which on the 4RX and take a look slightly lower down, youll see a cutout. I dont know if thats just storage or a cupholder but there's something there anyways!

Ive decided Im getting a 4RX F-Sport

Now ive just got to decide the colour (the hardest part)
Old 04-02-15, 05:42 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The RX needed some pizzaz and now its here. More men will wabt it and so will younger people. I am looking forward to selling them.
Old 04-02-15, 06:27 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

One item I noticed that will be missed is the convenient driver's side vent cup holder not on the 4RX.

Funny, I never used it. I'm not left handed
Old 04-02-15, 06:30 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by spwolf

this pic gives a good perspective on screen, it is huge.
Any idea why the right side of the screen is angled down? Just looks odd to me.
Old 04-02-15, 06:35 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
If you take a good look at the buttons which on the 4RX and take a look slightly lower down, youll see a cutout. I dont know if thats just storage or a cupholder but there's something there anyways!

Ive decided Im getting a 4RX F-Sport

Now ive just got to decide the colour (the hardest part)
Rayaans, great you're taking the plunge. Who knows, I might go back to the RX too but for now enjoying the NX.

I had to brighten up the image and hmm.... that panel is suspect especially with the indentation to the left, but it looks too low to be a usable cupholder IMO since your knee may be in the way. It might just be an access panel to the ODBC port, fuses,OR secondary controls for the HUD (like brightness, position, etc)... we'll need to followup on this detail for sure!

As for another element from the previous RXs, the storage underneath the console is partially obstructed in the '16. From the passenger's side, you see access to what appears to be a cubby space the length of a kleenex box, but from the driver's side, it's closed off...

Old 04-02-15, 07:12 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Any idea why the right side of the screen is angled down? Just looks odd to me.
It's to complete the curved contour on that side. You can see how the console curves slightly, and the screen is supposed to follow that.
Old 04-02-15, 07:14 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Thanks for the photos, but the display looks monochromatic vs color. I wonder if nav directions will be built into the HUD as well.
It will be. It looks virtually identical to the NX one, and that has color Nav instructions in it.
Old 04-02-15, 07:19 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy 2016 rx

Originally Posted by Ice350
The RX needed some pizzaz and now its here. More men will wabt it and so will younger people. I am looking forward to selling them.

Talk about ugly. OMG. They have ruined it. That front looks like a hideous piece of Art. Salt and crap catchers everywhere. Looks more like a larger version of the NX and that looks like a rave 4. Glad I got the2015 RX 450h. Then they add the swooping line on the side--- egad-- Thad ugly look of the IS and that is ugly. That's it for the whole line up. Pure ugly. Sales will fall. The older drivers of this brand will,be turned off.
I'm going to have my 2015 450h for years to come or until Lexus comes to it senses.
Old 04-02-15, 07:26 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Default One othe thought

Originally Posted by markneups
Talk about ugly. OMG. They have ruined it. That front looks like a hideous piece of Art. Salt and crap catchers everywhere. Looks more like a larger version of the NX and that looks like a rave 4. Glad I got the2015 RX 450h. Then they add the swooping line on the side--- egad-- Thad ugly look of the IS and that is ugly. That's it for the whole line up. Pure ugly. Sales will fall. The older drivers of this brand will,be turned off.
I'm going to have my 2015 450h for years to come or until Lexus comes to it senses.
Where the heck are they going to hang the front license plate. They going to hang it in the middle of that Hugh large mouth Bass. That's going to make it even uglier.
Old 04-02-15, 07:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

It finally came to me. The dash layout looked a little familiar...

wow, talk about a stretch? lexus screen is on top, bmw doesn't have leather around the shifter... bmw has dual main gauges... on and on.

Originally Posted by DeeDeeRX
Love the interior and the new tech and safety features but I would not purchase this car on the exterior styling. I know that is a matter of taste and design choice. I cannot stand the front grille. It reminds me of a Transformer. The entire vehicle does. Why would I want a moving Transformer or what appears to be a beefed up NX?
i agree.

Go buy the new Q7 then lmao, looks worse!
funny... at dinner last night a Q7 was parked next to me. looked AWESOME, classy, elegant.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Look fugly to me. I think this is the beginning of the end of the Lexus RX dominance in the segment. I dont mind the NX but this is the RX class. Plus the other thing is that is doesn't even look like an SUV, it looks more like a wagon.
it's like a venza on steroids.

This is not a vehicle for a 60 + year old pensioner. This is something for people in their late 30's and into their 40's. If you're 60 or over, frankly, you can go buy yourself a range rover lol.
Originally Posted by leej865
I've never seen so many agist remarks on an automotive site than I have here at Club Lexus.
agreed - rayaans, knock it off.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I do like the wheel on the new RX also.
that's because it's like the on in your jeep.

Originally Posted by markneups
Talk about ugly. OMG. They have ruined it. That front looks like a hideous piece of Art. Salt and crap catchers everywhere. ... Pure ugly.
i pretty much agree it's completely over the top.

Sales will fall.
disagree there though they likely will still go up.

lexus has obviously chosen to go for polarizing styling to get 'noticed'. in this social-media / selfie-obsessed / "look at me" age, they might be right on point.

if i got an rx, it would be black.
Old 04-02-15, 07:32 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Rayaans, great you're taking the plunge. Who knows, I might go back to the RX too but for now enjoying the NX.

I had to brighten up the image and hmm.... that panel is suspect especially with the indentation to the left, but it looks too low to be a usable cupholder IMO since your knee may be in the way. It might just be an access panel to the ODBC port, fuses,OR secondary controls for the HUD (like brightness, position, etc)... we'll need to followup on this detail for sure!

As for another element from the previous RXs, the storage underneath the console is partially obstructed in the '16. From the passenger's side, you see access to what appears to be a cubby space the length of a kleenex box, but from the driver's side, it's closed off...

I can't help but ask, but what is that thing you can see out the windshield in the center that seems to have a control on the inside.

Also, Is that a sunglass holder compartment in the center?
Old 04-02-15, 07:54 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Funny, I never used it. I'm not left handed

The cup holder needs to switch places with the button placements below it. This flawed design is an accident waiting to happen. I know this is the previous generation but it really is a silly oversight on the designers.

Last edited by Pamperme; 04-02-15 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 08:19 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ a cup holder was also available on the second generation. Honestly the buttons underneath it are rarely used so its not that big of a problem. Also, it looks like the cubby in the 4th generation is a coin compartment, not a full cupholder
Old 04-02-15, 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ a cup holder was also available on the second generation. Honestly the buttons underneath it are rarely used so its not that big of a problem. Also, it looks like the cubby in the 4th generation is a coin compartment, not a full cupholder
He means the drink could spill into the buttons.

I agree its a non-issue.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)