RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 06:55 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I hope this is some kind of April Fool's joke and the real car will be revealed tomorrow!

I have owned a 2006 RX400h and a 2010 RX350 and think this thing is awful. If this is the real RX350, then my next SUV will not be a Lexus. The designers have gone crazy.
Steve
Old 04-01-15, 06:58 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the 4th gen, very futuristic compared to other cuvs.

One gripe, air vents.... Why why why lol. Love the passenger vent but not the other 3. Look like they are straight out of bmw circa 1990s. Otherwise beautiful interior.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)-image.jpg  
Old 04-01-15, 07:02 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
I like the design overall, with the exception of the front hang over and gaping F-sport grille. The hybrid grill is much more pleasing.

So to confirm, they took a GS350 2GR-FSE engine and stuffed in transversely into the RX's engine bay?

I wonder if this engine will make it to any other FWD Camry based Toyota/Lexus vehicles.
Where did you hear that? Any engine bay shots?

Press release claims better fuel econ...
Old 04-01-15, 07:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Much nicer than the present RX but...
Just looking at the pics,I disagree.I still feel the GS interior is nicer and better quality.In person probably even more so.
No double stitching on the seats and look at the rear lower door panel area in the red interior pic.Two quick standouts.
dunno, looking at many high res pics, it looks nicer actually... it has more leather and wood too. Also, in some better pics, lower plastic are GS quality.

Keep in mind that compression in every pic is taking away fine detail, making dark plastic look simpler than what it is..

For instance here:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-...nterior-02.jpg

Notice the plastic being GS quality but if you look lower, same plastic (it is same piece) looks now like from Yaris because compression destroyed the detail.

And then style wise, it has layers of sophistication than GS does not have. Again, compression ruins it since for instance top of the dash brownish leather there is alcantara.

Old 04-01-15, 07:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
3 interior complaints: I wish the screen was taller (I love the giant screen in my GS),
gotta love that 12.3" screen being standard... as it should be in this class, at these prices... also nav looks much upgraded. Cant believe than MB came out with GLE that has 7" standard.

Also, did anyone catch widescreen color HUD? lexus press video has it, and it is pretty big..

Did someone already post the video of hazard lights sync in and out? Looks nice, it was on instagram.... lots of details here that they still did not show fully.
Old 04-01-15, 07:12 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pman6
it actually has bits of older generation audis
You stole my line: it looks like the old Audi interior. The new Audi interiors (see Q7) are from another planet, they look mind-blowing. I don't think Lexus will ever be able to match that. It's just something about the design that Japs don't get, I dunno.

Overall I like the new design, inside and out. I think it's much better than the current one. I just hope is as comfortable and they didn't go the German way of stiffening everything up.
Old 04-01-15, 07:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

this pic gives a good perspective on screen, it is huge.
Old 04-01-15, 07:26 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Based on the previous picture, even though I like the wood trim, the RX interior looks really busy to me. As far as the exterior design goes, I think Lexus is "creasing and spindling" themselves away from the upscale market. Even Mercedes had to dial it back on their current E Class. That should have sent a message.

I was fine with the fact that my GS F Sport still had a fairly clean design down the sides with a reasonably sized spindle grille, but this certainly isn't that. I think the new design language works better on smaller cars like the IS. IMO, the more expensive cars should be a bit more refined in their styling.
Old 04-01-15, 07:36 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Based on the previous picture, even though I like the wood trim, the RX interior looks really busy to me. As far as the exterior design goes, I think Lexus is "creasing and spindling" themselves away from the upscale market. Even Mercedes had to dial it back on their current E Class. That should have sent a message.

I was fine with the fact that my GS F Sport still had a fairly clean design down the sides with a reasonably sized spindle grille, but this certainly isn't that. I think the new design language works better on smaller cars like the IS. IMO, the more expensive cars should be a bit more refined in their styling.
Right, you mean this expensive car with creases and angles

Last edited by G Star; 04-01-15 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-01-15, 07:44 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like it lost the pass through storage under the center console which is perfect for purses.....
Old 04-01-15, 07:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
dunno, looking at many high res pics, it looks nicer actually... it has more leather and wood too. Also, in some better pics, lower plastic are GS quality.

Keep in mind that compression in every pic is taking away fine detail, making dark plastic look simpler than what it is..

Notice the plastic being GS quality but if you look lower, same plastic (it is same piece) looks now like from Yaris because compression destroyed the detail.

And then style wise, it has layers of sophistication than GS does not have. Again, compression ruins it since for instance top of the dash brownish leather there is alcantara.
You can't judge plastic or material quality from pictures. I agree with Joe, the pictures I've seen of the lower door panels look more similar to say the IS/NX/ES/RC than the GS, but we will have to see it in person.

As for "sophistication" vs the GS. I've spent a lot of time looking at these pictures and I love the vehicle, let me say. Couple things, like I don't care for the plastic wheel arches, if they wanted contrasting black it should be gloss piano black. It does have a big overhang in front. But, all considered I think its a great looking vehicle.

One thing I think Lexus needs to be aware of...is the fact that "more complex" and "more" does not always equal more sophisticated. If you look at this interior, lets just think about the different design elements we have in play here:

1. We have chocolate colored leather
2. We have black leather
3. We have alcantara
4. We have red stitching
5. We have mate metal or metal look trim
6. We have high gloss dark wood with a intricate pinstripe motif.
7. We have black plastic
8. We have black carpeting
9. We have chrome

Thats 9 different materials spanning 5 different colors in one interior. Thats a lot. A lot of angles, and lines, and trim, theres a lot going on inside this vehicle.

Contrast that to the GS which in reality is pretty simple and elegant. Theres something to be said for simple and elegant too.

Another thing I noticed is the door locks. No manual button over the door handle. Theres a pop up rod indicator on top of the door panel. Never seen that in a Lexus before.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-01-15 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-01-15, 08:11 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad I iddn't jump on the NX. Once I sat in it I was disappointed with the lack of many RX features. Looks more attractive than the current RX front. But actually spending time in the car will be a fairer judge. I'm also looking forward to the panoramic roof.
As for the overhang the current RX has it, too. You just don't realize if you don't focus and study it from the side.
I hope there's somewhere to put a purse! Right now I'm using a cloth lined basket on the floor behind the console!
Old 04-01-15, 08:23 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it looks great, exterior looks awesome and I love the interior. I just want to say THANK YOU for updating the wheel design. The post-4GS brand wheel design was just ugly and bulky compared to their competitors.

Old 04-01-15, 08:28 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Can you please put a pict of the hud on here? I don't see it, thanks.

Originally Posted by spwolf
gotta love that 12.3" screen being standard... as it should be in this class, at these prices... also nav looks much upgraded. Cant believe than MB came out with GLE that has 7" standard.

Also, did anyone catch widescreen color HUD? lexus press video has it, and it is pretty big..

Did someone already post the video of hazard lights sync in and out? Looks nice, it was on instagram.... lots of details here that they still did not show fully.
Old 04-01-15, 08:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
The post-4GS brand wheel design was just ugly and bulky compared to their competitors.
The steering wheel on my 4GS is one of my favorite parts of the interior

I do like the wheel on the new RX also.

Another issue I have with the new console layout with the RTC on the left between the driver and the shifter. I like resting my arm on the shift **** while I'm driving. I find the placement of the shifter in the position its in on the 4GS ideal for that. Its likely too far forward to do that on the RX (it was on the RC i tested). Not a big deal, but its one of those ergonomic things I would think about every day.

I love that they've gone to floor mounted gas pedals on pretty much all their cars. Much higher end IMHO.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)