RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 01:20 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In the press release from Lexus that Autoblog has, they state that the RX with third row option will be available early 2016.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and assume a fully loaded RX will be $60k and a 3 row RX will be around $64k. I'm sure it'll sell well. It's not terrible. It's just going to take most of us a few years to become comfortable with it lol
Old 04-01-15, 01:21 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
One thing I've realized is that once Lexus comes out with a new design, it will receive a THRONG of criticism and through time that criticism will fade away into neutrality and eventually the style will be accepted (yes even on CL, in fact, CL is consistently like this).

Seems like a lot of you are in phase 1.

I like this new design, I can see the path they took to making the decisions they did and I have a feeling this will grow sales and allow Lexus to make more conquest sales.

I would buy this car if I was looking for a cross over SUV, the only 2 factors that would make me hesitate are the black mirror and exterior trim (I still don't understand this) and the fact that it is the top seller, which makes owning one less special.

Anyway, good job Lexus, they did it again.
Hit the nail on the head there! I also love the design, its daring, its different, it gives you something to look at and it certainly makes you say something - be it negative!

Once the cars are at the dealers and people see it for real, they'll accept that it looks awesome in the flesh! This is not a vehicle for a 60 + year old pensioner. This is something for people in their late 30's and into their 40's. If you're 60 or over, frankly, you can go buy yourself a range rover lol.

Over in the UK these will probably be the most special SUV you can buy as its so exclusive!
Old 04-01-15, 01:24 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is a horizontal bar in the center of the grill for both regular and F-Sport, like how Lexus did it with LS460, would make a huge difference to make people accept the design.

I showed the new RX to my wife who is 29 years old, and she doesn't like the front at all.
Old 04-01-15, 01:27 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the new RX.
Overall there are a whole lot more pluses than minuses.
Two things I especially like are the two-tone interior which looks to be better and more up-scale than my cheap plasticky '13 RX and the shift mode that would let me drive in sport. Hopefully the latter would solve the hesitation/delayed acceleration issue hat infuriates many of us with our fsport 8-speed transmission.
Old 04-01-15, 01:28 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I showed the new RX to my wife who is 29 years old, and she doesn't like the front at all.
my wife is 23 and doesn't like it. I don't think its necessarily the front that her and I have issue with, as much as it is the overhang. The proportion is insanely weird. I look forward to seeing an F Sport in person.
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
If there is a horizontal bar in the center of the grill for both regular and F-Sport, like how Lexus did it with LS460, would make a huge difference to make people accept the design.
Thats just not their design language. The LS, the GS and the current RX have that bar because they are part of the phase in of the spindle grill. The refresh GS and the new LS won't have that bar.

My wife is 32, she loves it.

People are going to love it or hate it, just like all the other new Lexus designs.
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
In the press release from Lexus that Autoblog has, they state that the RX with third row option will be available early 2016.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and assume a fully loaded RX will be $60k and a 3 row RX will be around $64k. I'm sure it'll sell well. It's not terrible. It's just going to take most of us a few years to become comfortable with it lol
Current RX can already be optioned to 60K, in fact my hybrid had a sticker of 63. Expect this one to move up a bit in price since they have the NX
Old 04-01-15, 01:34 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
Current RX can already be optioned to 60K, in fact my hybrid had a sticker of 63. Expect this one to move up a bit in price since they have the NX
I was thinking about the current F Sport. $54k. $6k increase in the 2016 is what I'm guessing.
Old 04-01-15, 01:35 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

I really like this angle of the Hybrid
Old 04-01-15, 01:40 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm not sure how well the new front end will age. My criticism is with the sides of the front bumper...seems like to many creases, chrome, black, and paint all mixed up. Kind of weird. The current gen RX will age well. But in 5 years, I can see some people still being critical of this new exaggerated spindle grill. Interior is leaps and bounds better, though. I was recently in the dealership and sat in the new IS, GS and LS. Interiors were impressive. Made the 2015 RX they had in the showroom look very dated.
Old 04-01-15, 01:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
It already had 299hp lol. BTW if you look closely it says "near 300hp". It could still be 299hp or be up to 310hp :P

Im loving the whole car and Ive seen it in person at the meeting last year, It looks different in the pictures, angles dont show up properly on cameras!
Rated at 295 total system hp, it has always been a slap in the consumers face to not easily massage 5 extra horses via hybrid tech, motor, ecu etc..

Not to mention the marketing they've missed for years "300hp 30+mpg luxury cuv"

Whatever, it's here and I'm happy
Old 04-01-15, 01:55 PM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part of me thinks they did such an amazing job...but I can't get over that front end! Almost makes it look like a wagon. That beakkkkk doooooo! "torn"
Old 04-01-15, 02:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

So, have the RX and NX taken over the spot formerly occupied by Acura in the controversial love/hate, aggressive/ugly grill ratings?
Old 04-01-15, 02:29 PM
leej865
Driver

Originally Posted by rayaans
Hit the nail on the head there! I also love the design, its daring, its different, it gives you something to look at and it certainly makes you say something - be it negative!

Once the cars are at the dealers and people see it for real, they'll accept that it looks awesome in the flesh! This is not a vehicle for a 60 + year old pensioner. This is something for people in their late 30's and into their 40's. If you're 60 or over, frankly, you can go buy yourself a range rover lol.

Over in the UK these will probably be the most special SUV you can buy as its so exclusive!
I've never seen so many agist remarks on an automotive site than I have here at Club Lexus.

Well, this 60 year old 'pensioner' loves it! And I love the NX...and will likely buy one or the other. Now I have to delay my decision until I see the RX in person...so there, smartazz!
Old 04-01-15, 02:55 PM
ssid
Driver School Candidate

Looks good I'm not really a big fan of the new headlights design but I'm sure they are improved somehow.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)