RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 11:46 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
The plastic trim on current RX actually does a good job. I take my car off-road sometimes and if it were paint, it would get destroyed.

The plastic wheel trim on the other hand is useless and I've never scratched that area.
That's true....good point. I don't take mine off road, though. I have an F sport and I hate how the lower part of the front fender is black, so it looks like the front bumper is much shorter than it is. Decreases the sporty appearance I think.
Old 04-01-15, 11:51 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

It's good! Finally a current Lexus I wouldn't mind driving.
Old 04-01-15, 11:52 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
So they are trying to get more men to buy them but Im not sure many women will like that styling. Looks chunky and masculine. Before the lines were smoother. I love the interior
+1. In a way it is half baked. IMO (sorry if I offend any) RX is a female SUV. Whatever they do to it, it's still an RX by definition. IMO if they want to target male buyers, maybe save the improvement for the GX or TX. It's interesting to see how the sale will be distributed. Interior is nice for sure. Exterior looks nicer in dark colors and tail is a bit too similar to the ES IMO.

Last edited by 1111GS; 04-01-15 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-01-15, 11:52 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The interior looks elegant. The exterior is stylish, though I prefer the conservative boxy look of the LX. In fact, if the new LX came with this interior while keeping most of the LX's current exterior design, I'd get that instead.
Old 04-01-15, 12:02 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1101GS
+1. In a way it is half baked. IMO (sorry if I offend any) RX is a female SUV. Whatever they do to it, it's still an RX by definition. IMO if they want to target male buyers, maybe save the improvement for the GX or TX. It's interesting to see how the sale will be distributed. Interior is nice for sure. Exterior looks nicer in dark colors and tail is a bit too similar to the ES IMO.
What kind of silly preconception is that? It looks awesome! More men will definitely be into the RX now!

Did you see the A-class before Mercedes significantly changed its styling? Same thing going on here and it works!
Old 04-01-15, 12:03 PM
DeeDeeRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Love the interior and the new tech and safety features but I would not purchase this car on the exterior styling. I know that is a matter of taste and design choice. I cannot stand the front grille. It reminds me of a Transformer. The entire vehicle does. Why would I want a moving Transformer or what appears to be a beefed up NX?

As I reviewed vehicles, it was a choice between the Audi, MDX and the Lexus. I would not purchase this next Gen. I would look for a different model or go with German. Or even wait for the next Gen. I am disappointed. I am sure some will love but others will not like. I think they will watch their sales on this particular Gen drop. I doubt they will tell us when this happens but the other model scaled across many tastes and this model does not.
Old 04-01-15, 12:05 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DeeDeeRX
Love the interior and the new tech and safety features but I would not purchase this car on the exterior styling. I know that is a matter of taste and design choice. I cannot stand the front grille. It reminds me of a Transformer. The entire vehicle does. Why would I want a moving Transformer or what appears to be a beefed up NX?

As I reviewed vehicles, it was a choice between the Audi, MDX and the Lexus. I would not purchase this next Gen. I would look for a different model or go with German. Or even wait for the next Gen. I am disappointed. I am sure some will love but others will not like. I think they will watch their sales on this particular Gen drop. I doubt they will tell us when this happens but the other model scaled across many tastes and this model does not.
If Lexus sales on the next generation RX drop, I will officially buy a brand new RX F-Sport when it comes out and sell it for £1. How about that? Fact of the matter is, sales will only go up!
Old 04-01-15, 12:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

RX450h gets 300hp they listened!

20" wheel upgrade

Big navi screen, ipad like rear seat entertainment, new interior trims!

Lexus better stock up because this is going to sell
Old 04-01-15, 12:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Look at the steering wheel! Improved plastics
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I am thinking that the front overhang on this new RX may look particularly long because of a number of factors:

1. The cab-forward styling, where the A-pillar (and front edge of front door) is right at the wheelwell, gives greater visual emphasis to that area in front of the wheelwell. This increases interior space by pulling the base of the windshield forward but may give the car seemingly awkward proportions.

2. The front hood is long and high, probably more of a styling decision than anything. The "power dome" front hood gives the impression of a big engine and a lot of masculine power underneath (like the IS-F).

3. The lower-edge of the grill is low. Is this an international model that is being shown? I am thinking that North American models may have a higher front grill and greater front under-slope to give the SUV a better approach angle (that may have a slight effect on the look of the front overhang). Because SUVs -- even car-based crossover SUVs -- in the USA are categorized as trucks, they must have great approach and departure angles. International models do not have this regulatory restriction so can have lower front grills.

Both the long front overhang AND the heavily front-biased weight distribution are a result of having the engine in front of the front axle centreline.

In transversely-mounted engines/transmissions (engine crankshaft is perpendicular to the car's centreline and parallel to the front axle), like the RX and Camry, both the engine and the (short) transmission are mounted in front of the front axle.

In certain FWD-based longitudinally-mounted engines/transmissions (engine crankshaft is parallel to the car's centreline and perpendicular to the front axle), like the Audi Q5 and its cousin the Porsche Macan, the engine is in FRONT of the front axle, but the long transmission is BEHIND the front axle. On older longitudinally-mounted Audis, the front axle was at the back of the transmission, so that both engine and transmission were in front of the front axle but this was changed with the introduction of the B8 model Audi A5 and A4 in 2007/2008.

The front overhang on these newer Audi vehicles looks shorter because of the placement of the front axle closer to the front of the car. Weight distribution is also less front-biased.
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Look fugly to me. I think this is the beginning of the end of the Lexus RX dominance in the segment. I dont mind the NX but this is the RX class. Plus the other thing is that is doesn't even look like an SUV, it looks more like a wagon.
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
RX450h gets 300hp they listened!

20" wheel upgrade

Big navi screen, ipad like rear seat entertainment, new interior trims!

Lexus better stock up because this is going to sell
It already had 299hp lol. BTW if you look closely it says "near 300hp". It could still be 299hp or be up to 310hp :P

Im loving the whole car and Ive seen it in person at the meeting last year, It looks different in the pictures, angles dont show up properly on cameras!
Old 04-01-15, 12:12 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Look fugly to me. I think this is the beginning of the end of the Lexus RX dominance in the segment. I dont mind the NX but this is the RX class. Plus the other thing is that is doesn't even look like an SUV, it looks more like a wagon.
Go buy the new Q7 then lmao, looks worse!
Old 04-01-15, 12:13 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rayaans
Go buy the new Q7 then lmao, looks worse!
I can't bring myself to buy one.....there's no A/C on/off switch!!! Deal breaker for me! (just kidding, I'll buy one despite the ugly nav screen)
Old 04-01-15, 12:14 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

interior looks a bit audi.

and I see Lexus has switched over to POP TART nav screen now huh ?

gotta jump on the poptart nav bandwagon cuz everyone else is doing it.

I always liked the integrated hooded nav screens of yesteryear

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)