RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 07:33 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by VVRX
Please don't tell me that is black plastic trim around the wheel wells!
Agreed, this black trim trend is totally killing Lexus' luxo vibe. Didn't dig it a decade ago when BMW did it and definitely not digging now that Lexus is copying it.
Old 03-22-15, 10:42 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
mas·cu·line

adjective
having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with men, especially strength and aggressiveness.
thank you webster.. I was beginning to think people didn't understand what i meant by saying masculine
Old 03-23-15, 05:07 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Agreed, this black trim trend is totally killing Lexus' luxo vibe. Didn't dig it a decade ago when BMW did it and definitely not digging now that Lexus is copying it.

Old 03-23-15, 07:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
yea i'm sure a white new rx with giant front black grill and black wheel arch trim will look spectacular.

Old 03-23-15, 07:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yea i'm sure a white new rx with giant front black grill and black wheel arch trim will look spectacular.

that pic reminded me of new Aygo :-)

Old 03-23-15, 07:52 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Won't it allow seven seats after all? Please don't flame. I'm just an eternal optimist.
Old 03-23-15, 11:21 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope............
Old 03-23-15, 11:35 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveCT
Won't it allow seven seats after all? Please don't flame. I'm just an eternal optimist.
Your glass should be empty now. No 3rd row
Old 03-23-15, 11:37 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Hell, my GX has 3rd row seats, but they're for children/small adults only and impossible to get back there. Complete waste of effort.
Old 03-23-15, 11:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure why you would want a 3rd row unless you're hauling 7 passengers around all the time. Most RX owners are content with having just 5 seats (which is why they bought one in the first place). I much rather have more cargo room than 2 extra seats I'll never use.
Old 03-23-15, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

mas·cu·line

adjective
having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with men, especially strength and aggressiveness
Originally Posted by ARISTOh
thank you webster.. I was beginning to think people didn't understand what i meant by saying masculine
Doesn't change the context of my reply one bit, though. Using this definition, neither the RX nor the EX meet the criteria. That was the original point I was trying to make....that's all.
Old 03-23-15, 12:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Not sure why you would want a 3rd row unless you're hauling 7 passengers around all the time.
then why does highlander have them? i think this new rx will be pretty much the same size. i'd actually love a highlander WITHOUT the third row, but no can do, and yes someone could say just don't use them, but the cargo floor isn't as good with the third row stowed as a nice flat cargo floor.

Most RX owners are content with having just 5 seats (which is why they bought one in the first place). I much rather have more cargo room than 2 extra seats I'll never use.
agreed.
Old 03-23-15, 12:36 PM
LoveCT
Driver

But there's a reason why X5, Q7, MDX have options for a third row. Sometimes to separate the kids, you know. I mean the Highlander also moved in that direction. Too bad X5 and Q7 are nowhere close to the reliability of the RX.

I am in the category of potential buyers, who like to have the flexibility of more passengers, and more cargo, but would most often not fill the car to the brim with people or the cargo.

With the introduction of NX, and no higher "passenger" capacity, it is kind of becoming hard to justify the RX. Now given the new RX styling direction that is moving towards the NX, cue the black plastic trim around the trapezoidal wheel wells (yuck); the only reason to buy the RX is that it can hold more cargo than NX.

I can't foretell the future, but the new GX could have grown into the stretched Yukon Denali, Tahoe, ESV category, while RX could use the third "cramped" row to make it a fuller ranged SUV lineup. I mean, I can understand the "RX not taking risks" argument by not introducing the third row, but Lexus has already taken a bigger risk of cannibalizing the RX with the introduction of NX.

I was hoping to buy an RX for the first time, but perhaps I will now go with the QX60. Alas the QX60's bad reliability. But at least it is not unreliable and overpriced as the Germans.

Last edited by LoveCT; 03-23-15 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 12:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

To be honest, I'm not sure why the highlander has a 3rd row. My uncle owns one and it was quite useless, and I'm not a big guy either! It was slightly better than being in the back of a Porsche 911.
Old 03-23-15, 01:26 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveCT
But there's a reason why X5, Q7, MDX have options for a third row. Sometimes to separate the kids, you know. I mean the Highlander also moved in that direction. Too bad X5 and Q7 are nowhere close to the reliability of the RX. I am in the category of potential buyers, who like to have the flexibility of more passengers, and more cargo, but would most often not fill the car to the brim with people or the cargo. With the introduction of NX, and no higher "passenger" capacity, it is kind of becoming hard to justify the RX. Now given the new RX styling direction that is moving towards the NX, cue the black plastic trim around the trapezoidal wheel wells (yuck); the only reason to buy the RX is that it can hold more cargo than NX. I can't foretell the future, but the new GX could have grown into the stretched Yukon Denali, Tahoe, ESV category, while RX could use the third "cramped" row to make it a fuller ranged SUV lineup. I mean, I can understand the "RX not taking risks" argument by not introducing the third row, but Lexus has already taken a bigger risk of cannibalizing the RX with the introduction of NX. I was hoping to buy an RX for the first time, but perhaps I will now go with the QX60. Alas the QX60's bad reliability. But at least it is not unreliable and overpriced as the Germans.
The Q7 and MDX don't have options for third rows. They are standard three row crossovers. That is what they are. No option to be anything different. The only vehicle Thad have 3rd row options are X5, Range Rover Sport and 4Runner. That I can think of anyways. And they all have crappy third rows.
Also you state that the GX could have grown into Tahoe, Yukon Denali and ESV category. But that's already what the GX is isn't it? With exception of ESV. Do you mean Suburban and Yukon XL? There's also the Navigator EL.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)