RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Air Filtration System-Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-01, 06:26 PM
itchi1234

Smile

I am thinking of buying a RX300. I am very interested in the air filtration that is in the lexus as I have allergies and asthma. It is one of the reasons I picked the lexus. Do any of you Lexus owners have an opinion of this system? It sounded good when the dealer talked about it, but I would like to know if it really works as I seem to be having problems with pollution. I hate to pay that much money and find out that it really doesn't make much difference. Any help that you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Can you tell any difference especially in traffic?

Thanks
Itchi
Old 03-26-01, 07:32 PM
Harrier
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The air filtration works great. However, it is not automatic like the system found on the GS and LS. So although it works well in keeping out funk and what not, it requires that you anticipate trouble (pulling up behind a putt-putt at a traffic light, going by a flowery field, etc). Other than that, once you switch to recirculated air, you should be worry-free.

Sometimes I'd leave the vent on recirculated air for an entire trip, without any problems dealing with stuffiness or stale air. However, if you live in the snow belt, you will want to leave the vent open as doing otherwise will fog up your windows.
Old 03-27-01, 01:29 AM
ZoomSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Breathe a breath of Lexus refined air....

High there fellow allergy person! Well, to start off, I Looooooovvvvvvveeeeeee the air filtration system and a/c system in both the RX300 and GS300's. I own a 94 MB C280, and it doesn't clear as much allergy-causing things as my car or my brother's car. Both of us have been blessed by the lord above with allergies. My brother's being worse than mine, (with athsma and some other things the doctors are trying to determine as of now) it's like our Lexus's are safety bubbles for our allergies. My car has a better air filtration system than my house! So whenever I ride with my brother, or he rides with me, or if we switch cars, we're sure to be allergy free with Lexus air! We keep both our cars recirculators on most of the time. The only time we air out the car is when we're cleaning the interior, which is about once a week. Actually, my former doctor (now retired.... also my uncle) owns 4 Mercedes Benz's and one BMW. He rode in my brother's car, and he noticed that it had a better atmosphere, not to mention so many other plusses opposed to his cars. He called it an " all around safety cage".
Old 03-28-01, 08:54 AM
itchi1234

Thumbs up

Hi

Thank you both so much for your replies. We are thinking about buying a year old Lexus so that I can avoid the allergies of the "new car smell". It will be nice to drive in a car and not have to worry about being allergic to the fumes. From your replies it sounds like the filter really works--that's what I was hoping to hear. Glad to hear it from another allergy sufferer!

One question though--the dealer told us that the filter is always on, but if the car "senses" high pollution the carbon filter kicks on. Is this right? He was talking about the 2001 model, so maybe it is only on the new models? Sounds like you both are saying that you have to put the car in recirculated air mode in your models. Is that true? I would probably not get a 2001. I don't mind using the recirc. air (that's what I use in my car when I can) but just wanted to know how exactly it works.

Thanks!
Itchi