RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Fluid Change?

Old 08-06-03, 02:50 PM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Change?

Hi Guys,

Can someone tell me how often the transmission fluid on a '99 RX 4WD needs to be changed? The maintenance schedule that I have specifies every 15000 miles, but my friend's 2000RX says every 60000 miles! (Don't the two vehicles have the same tranny?)

Thanks for any info you can pass along.
Old 08-06-03, 03:21 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2001 says "lifetime fluid - Do not change" or something like that right on the dipstick. The owners manual also indicates it is a lifetime fluid. I would check your owners manual before you waste money on unnecessary fluid changes.

Last edited by mikey00; 08-06-03 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-07-03, 07:28 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 99 RX. At 40K, one Lexus dealer used Castrol ATF. Bad idea. Transmission was giving me fits after about 5,000 miles. Went to another Lexus of San Antonio and they realized the mistake and put in the Toyota Type-IV ATF, which is a synthetic. That is probably what mikey has in his 2001, but unfortunately that was not originally put into most of our 99 RXs.

I would have it changed out about every 30,000 miles and make sure they clean the filter screens. You probably could go lifetime, but it depends on your driving conditions. In addition see if you can find a Lexus/Toyota dealer or an independent that will pump out the old fluid. Most Lexus dealers use a chemical treatment system involving two fluids that gets most, but not all of the old fluid out. Do not accept a simple draining.
Old 08-07-03, 08:39 AM
tritron
Lead Lap

How much of the T-IV do you need.

Last edited by tritron; 08-07-03 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-07-03, 04:30 PM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

I was on the phone with the Service Manager at Heffner Lexus this morning, and he confirmed that the '99 tranny fluid only needs to be changed at 96000KM intervals. (i.e. 60000 miles). (In case you're wondering, the owner's manual doesn't say anything about when the transmission fluid should be changed.)
Old 08-08-03, 09:33 AM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

I emailed Lexus Canada to try and get a more definitive answer as my local service tech said that 96K is way too long to wait. This is their response:

Thank you for your e-mail concerning the recommended maintenance for
your 1999 RX300.

The recommended maintenance for each year and model is determined by
the factory in Japan, and the maintenance schedule may vary from year
to year, and from model to model.

In November 2000, the factory revised the recommended maintenance
schedule that had been printed in the 2000 and 2001 Owner's Manual
Supplements. It was decided that the new recommended intervals
between transmission fluid and transfer case fluid changes was too
great. The factory therefore issued a bulletin stating that the
recommended intervals for transmission fluid and transfer case fluid
in 2000 and 2001 RX300s would henceforth be: every 24 months or
every 32,000km (whichever occurs first).

The maintenance schedule that appears on our website is incorrect,
and we have asked our Website Administrator to make the necessary
changes as soon as possible. Thank you for bringing this to our
attention.

We hope this answers your question, and we appreciate your taking the
time to write to us.

Sincerely,

Lesley Cadan
Customer Relations
Lexus Canada
Old 08-08-03, 11:54 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

32,000 km or about 19,200 miles still seems like a money gouging operation by Lexus.
Old 08-08-03, 09:55 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by Lexmexico
32,000 km or about 19,200 miles still seems like a money gouging operation by Lexus.
It would certainly appear that way, but the other possibility is that their experience has shown that it is needed. If the motive is to gouge, you would think that they would have recommended this shorter interval at the outset. I can't remember ever seeing a recommendation for changing the transmission fluid that often.
Old 08-09-03, 11:06 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Then again, one need not go wrong by changing it more often, just make sure to bring your wallet.
Old 08-10-03, 01:37 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about not going wrong by changing it more often. Sometimes I believe what comes out is better than what is going in. In some cases what goes in is not even the proper stuff.
Old 08-11-03, 08:33 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I just contacted Lexus USA and referenced the above e-mail from Lexus Canada about the need for transmission fluid change. They claim there have been no changes and it is still a lifetime fluid. The Lexus Canada e-mail said it was incorrect in 2000/2001 owners manual. Anyone out there have a 2003 owners manual that can check to see if it was indeed changed and a transmission fluid change is now required?
Old 09-07-03, 04:42 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, the '04 RX 330 manual claims that the fluid does not need to be changed unless you're following the maintenance routine for extreme driving conditions. It's the same fluid as the 300 - Toyota T-IV.
Old 09-13-03, 12:57 PM
parula
Instructor

Two different dealer service guide schedules I have show the tran. fluid CHANGED every 30k miles during service.

Neither of these schedules have any model specified, so it must their recommendations for all Lexus models.

My 2003 SUV Owner's Manual Supplement indicates "inspecting" the tran. fluid every 30k miles. This Sport Utility Supplement does have LX notes indicating replacing the LX tranny fluid under special operating conditions.
Old 09-13-03, 07:36 PM
J.B
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone

I am from Canada. In May, I purchased a used 99 RX300 with very low milage (60K Km-40K Mi). I used to do all the maintenance on my two Nissans, therefore I ordered the two Repair Manuals. In the Maintenace chapter, on page MA-4, it specifies that "Maintenance Items may vary from country to country." On that page, it describes how to verify the AT Fluid Level. Then, on page MA-8, it describes how to inspect other transaxle fluid, transfer oil, differential oil, LSD oil. THEN it says: "10. Canada: REPLACE TRANSAXLE FLUID... 11. CANADA: REPLACE TRANSFER OIL... 12. CANADA: REPLACE DIFFERENTIAL OIL (4WD only)..."

It sounds that LEXUS has a different maintenance schedule for the USA than for Canada...

I towed a tent trailer (2800 lbs) for about 10K Km all summer. I just changed most fluids in the RX300: engine oil, transmission/transfer case, center diff and rear diff. The AT fluid was brown and way due. I wish I were able to do a complete flush but all I did is drain the pan and refilled about 4.5 liters (just like the book says...). It was quite cheap and easy (with a 10mm hex socket) and took less than 30 min. I plan to do the same AT fluid change at the end of every camping year, as long as I have the RX300 (10 yrs).

I did read too that the LEXUS/TOYOTA transmissions will self-destruct if any fluid other than Toyota Type-IV is used. That's what I used. I would say that if the fluid does not look good (brownish and smellish), change it regarless of what the schedule/dealer says!

Other than that, The rest of fluid I use is all synthetic engine/gear oil.

Hope it helps

Good luck

JB

Last edited by J.B; 09-13-03 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-19-03, 04:31 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am changing mine out in my driveway this weekend or next. I did it on my LS 400 last week and it was pretty smooth.

I got the ATF from irontoad.com for $4.95 a qt.

In case you want to here are the steps.

Get one of those 2qt plasic measuring pitchers from the store, or use your wifes, like I did, only don't tell her. Get an oil change pan. I use the kind that is inclosed with drip holes in the top from Walmart. Get a long neck plastic funnel, like from AutoZone. Walmart probably has that also.

Drain the transmission pan, keeping track of how much tranny juice you take out. My LS dropped 3 qts. from the pan.

Now put the plug back in the pan and put how may qts you just drained out of new ATF back in.

Disconnect the tranny cooling lines at the bottom of the radiator. Put the measuring cup on the oil change pan and point both lines down to the pitcher until you know which line is the exit side.

Have someone start the car, drain 2 qts and stop the car.

Put 2 qts in.

Start the car and drain 2 qts.

Put 2 qts in.

You can stop now if the last exit of tranny juice looked nice and red.

If not do it again. Drain 2, replace 2.

That should do it.

Cost was about $60 including oil pan, funnel and pitcher.

It can be done in an hour. Cleanup and all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change?