RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus RX300 or Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-03, 08:02 PM
Compaq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX300 or Acura MDX

Did anyone consider the Acura MDX before they bought there RX300 or RX330? I am considering both and I want to know what made you decide to go with the rx or the mdx. I am looking to get either a pre-owned MDX for 38,000 with navigation or a pre-owned RX for 30,000 basic.
Thank You

Please give me your oppinions
Old 04-01-03, 08:19 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, the MDX was too big, but the deal breaker was that the salesman was not even polite. He acted like I owed it to him to buy the MDX. Make sure you ask about weeping mirrors.
Old 04-01-03, 09:48 PM
steevr
Pole Position

I had an MDX on order right before they were first released. When the dealer got their demo, I drove it and then cancelled my order. The things that killed it for me (as nitpicky as they might be) were: No HID's, no factory body side molding (can't imagine what the sheetmetal would look like after a month of parking lot parking), and most of all, the left deadfoot pedal was flat on the floor (the wheelwell kept them from putting it where it would normally be). After 15 minutes of driving, my left foot was killing me. I'm 6'3" and I felt like there was no place to put my left foot. The 3rd row of seats wasn't a necessity since we also have a Ford Expedition. I drove my sister's RX for a week when I went to visit her and liked it so much that I ordered my own. I've been very happy ever since.
Old 04-02-03, 05:19 AM
stevech
Driver School Candidate

Well we ordered an MDX back in November 2002 and got good trade in value for our old 97 Explorer, however my wife couldn't deal with the width of the MDX (76") and we cancelled the order. Instead we just ordered the RX330 and I think it's the best fit for our needs. Here's what I think is better on the RX330 than the MDX:
- noise, ride and handling.
- luxury interior
- name brand
- and for us men (more toys - power lift gate, navigation system, DVD, stereo, etc.)
- sales service ++++ (way better)
MDX is better:
- 3rd row seat
- price and value

Hope this Helps,
Old 04-02-03, 04:11 PM
Crutcher
Driver School Candidate

We too considered the MDX before purchasing our Rx300. Here are the things that we preferred:

1. inside of MDX looks like a Honda -- vanilla. It also didn't feel like it was made as well as the Rx300
2. Rx300 seats more comfortable
3. Lexus service much better than Acura
4. Acura dealer was extremely rude and acted like we should pay him for the car.. which is not being discounted because of "high demand" (Acura purposely produces little amount to create this demand of course)
5. Got a great deal on the Rx300 because Rx330 is around the corner
6. MDX felt like I was driving a boat -- Rx300 handles great.
7. Don't need the 3rd row seat in the MDX

There were a ton more factors but after driving both cars it was a no-brainer for our needs/wish list. I'd recommend test driving both and talking with both dealers. Also, check out the service center of each dealership.

Best of luck!
Dave
Old 04-03-03, 09:30 AM
Wazowski
Driver School Candidate

Hi Compaq:
My wife and I have an RX300 and an MDX, and I think they're both great cars. I guess the answer depends on your personal preferences and needs. The RX300 is definitely smaller and therefore should be easier to fit into tighter spots. However, one thing I'm impressed about the MDX is that it has a very tight turning radius -- the MDX is very manueverable for a rig of it's size. Looks are subjective -- my wife thinks the RX300 is "cuter" and she therefore prefers the looks of the RX300. If you're going to be carrying the family around, the MDX will definitely be able to carry more passengers and cargo (i.e. 3rd row). However, if you don't plan on carrying many passengers or cargo, the MDX may be too big for you. The materials inside the RX300 are a notch above the materials used in the MDX (i.e. wood vs. plood). We added the wood steering wheel, meter trim and shift **** to the MDX and it makes the MDX interior a little more luxurious to us. You should be able to get good discounts on the Internet for accessories to save $$$. Our experience with the dealers has been positive with both Lexus and Acura. The Lexus dealer was definitely more willing to deal on the RX300, but I'm certain that's only because the RX330 was coming out soon. Also, I understand Lexus manufactures many more RX300's than Acura manufactures MDX's -- so, there is that supply and demand thing to keep in mind with regard to willingness to negotiate. I definitely like the HIDs on the RX300 and I wish Acura put them on the MDX. I think the OEM stereo on the RX300 also sounds a little better than than MDX stereo, but I'm not an audiophile so it doesn't really bug me since I listen to news and sports most of the time on my AM radio anyway.

Last edited by Wazowski; 04-03-03 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 05:08 AM
Compaq

Default Thank You

Thank You for your oppinions
Old 04-04-03, 03:20 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by steevr
I had an MDX on order right before they were first released. When the dealer got their demo, I drove it and then cancelled my order. The things that killed it for me (as nitpicky as they might be) were: No HID's, no factory body side molding (can't imagine what the sheetmetal would look like after a month of parking lot parking), and most of all, the left deadfoot pedal was flat on the floor (the wheelwell kept them from putting it where it would normally be). After 15 minutes of driving, my left foot was killing me. I'm 6'3" and I felt like there was no place to put my left foot. The 3rd row of seats wasn't a necessity since we also have a Ford Expedition. I drove my sister's RX for a week when I went to visit her and liked it so much that I ordered my own. I've been very happy ever since.
I agree with the MDX comments. I traded an '01 Highlander on an '03 Honda Pilot, and almost immediately regretted it. The Pilot's faster off the line, slightly quieter, and has a better sound system. But-- I cannot find a comfortable driving position; my left foot aches most of the time driving the Pilot.

I also, because of the placement of the controls, can't keep the seat in one position. Exiting the vehicle, as I hang my left leg out the door the seat bolster pushes the seat control, moving the seat. I like the Pilot, but this seating and position issue is driving me nuts!

I test drove a 330 two days ago. I easily positioned the seat to the same position I used in the Highlander, and sliding into the seat was like slipping on your favorite tennis shoes or sweats-- it just felt right. telescoping the wheel out made the driving position a perfect fit.

Needless to say, I'm waiting for the "new model intro" dust to settle, and will be moving from a Pilot to a 330 at some point in the next 6-18 months.

--Jay
Old 04-04-03, 05:39 PM
dserban
Driver

Default I just traded my MDX for the new 330.

Without a doubt a superior car . The only area where the MDX has an edge is the cargo.

Other than that for $1000 more that what I paid for the MDX I got a better equiped, higher level of luxury and much better looking SUV.

Where at some point I did a list of about 10 items that I felt a luxury car should have and the Acura was lacking, for the RX 330 it is only one: I think the seat memory should be associated with the ignition key.

I think a decison between these two should be a no brainer.
Old 04-04-03, 05:55 PM
04rx330
Driver School Candidate

The only area where the MDX has an edge is the cargo.
I know the Acura seats seven, but with all the seats folded, the Lexus actually has more cargo room ... 84.7 cubic feet vs. 82.0 cubic feet in the Acura. I guess it depends on how you intend to use the space.
Old 04-06-03, 04:37 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

heres one reason y you dont buy and acura........ acura = HONDA........the quality of a honda compared to a lexus is garbage...... and lets face it till acura decides to make there cars quality as luxarious as the name i wouldnt trust them. i never owned an acura but i did a honda and it was horrible. 2002 civic ex and 2 of my family members owned the acura TL type S model......both had major recalls on the engine at 33K miles on the car. def. go with the lexus 330 that car is awsome and just look at the luxary feature differences!

~ Stella
Old 04-07-03, 09:41 AM
gasjuju
Driver School Candidate

Acura = Honda (Lexus = Toyota?)
Hmmm... Is that bad?
I had a 130K miles Accord.
Ran very well till the day i sold it.
I had a Camry and it got problems
here and there (nothing serious - but problem
nonetheless).
So, from my personal experiece, Honda seems to
be more reliable than Toyata.
At any rate, my Lexus is doing great - got it only for
4 months, though. Did not have any ownership experience
with Acura.
I think both Lexus (Toyota) and Acura (Honda) do
have incredible reliability statistics.
You should see my MB S-class.
Cost 3X and have 3X the problems.
Wait, since i never have any problem with the Lexus,
i mean infiniteX problems. Man, the car looks really good
but the reliability is atrocious (or beyond atrocious).

I digressed. Originally our (meaning my dear wife's) first choice
was the MDX - she wanted the third row seating (for some reason).
So i took her to the dealership. After some research, her complaints was
1. The car is too wide/big.
2. Third row was not very "useable".
3. The interior is cheap-looking (considering it is a luxury brand).
For me, it is the whole deal itself.
The car was (and apparently still is) very short in supply.
So, you need to be on the waiting list paying the full MSRP.
Furthermore, the dealership forces you to buy $2500 worth
of mud guard, wood steering wheel, and running board, etc.
What's up with that? i thought one of the fun with buying a
new car is to haggle and get some good price below msrp.

So we went a bought a 03 RX300 with a very good deal.
It runs great. My wife's only complaint about the car is that
it is extremely common on the street (or the parking lot).
At any given time, you can spot 2 or 3 RX300 around you.
Oh well... (for me, that's ok - coming from a guy who used
to own Accord/Camry - how common can that be ) )
My only complaint about the RX300 is that the interior is a bit plain.
(and no steering wheel mounted control of radio, etc. duh?)
Perhaps, the new 330 is much nicer looking.
Old 04-07-03, 01:10 PM
Chuckieb
Driver School Candidate

We were close to purchasin a 2001 MDX with 70,000KM, then we drove a 2000 RX with identical mileage - prices were within $1000. We went with the RX for the following reasons:

-RX felt smaller, more manouverable,
-Seats were MUCH more comfortable (my wife couldn't rest her elbows on the arm rest or the center console in the MDX)
-MDX had a small ding in the door - dealer would have fixed it, but we knew it was there.
-Lexus felt much more luxurious, as soon as we sat in it.
-Acura dealer offered a loaner car "if our vehicle had to be in the shop all day and we really really needed transportation". Also, they said they would wash the outside if it was really dirty. Just not in the same class of service as we get from Lexus dealer, who always has a loaner for us, and the vehicle sparkles inside & out when we pick it up. Every time.
-Toyota vs Honda
-And the number one reason we bought the Lexus? Ride! Queit, smooth, comfortable. no comparison.

John
Old 04-07-03, 02:18 PM
modelaford
Driver

Unhappy

Had a 03 X and the timing belt went out bent all valves first 1000K, transmission went bad at 4500K, got rid of it quick and went to Lexus.
Old 04-07-03, 05:29 PM
LexFather

Acura MDX is nice but the RX is a TRUE luxury SUV with features and options the MDX can't begin to offer. The MDX offers a third row of seats no one uses.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX300 or Acura MDX