RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brake Pad recommendation

Old 07-05-15, 07:14 AM
lexrally
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad recommendation

Forum
I replaced my brakes pads/rotors recently, and am very unsatisfied with their performance. Using the brakes now requires more pressure to do the same job I was able to do before. The new pads are ceramic, the old pads were semi-metallic. I do not know the brand name of the ceramic, I need to go back to the shop and find out what they are and if I can return/replace them.

What are good "sticky" pads I can use? I do not mind going back
to semi-metallic if I have to in order to get the desired stickiness I want.

Or it it the rotors?

Thanks
Old 07-05-15, 07:15 AM
lexrally
Rookie

BTW, I did give them a chance to break in. Seems ob the highway they fade too, which I really do noit like
Old 07-05-15, 08:36 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Braking is a combination of pads and rotor. Feel is typically influenced by personal (unquantified unless measured scientifically) opinion. When you changed both the rotors and the pads it is very hard to pin it on just one.

With ceramic pads it will take you longer to 'break-in'. Brake fade can also be attributed to smaller area of contact generating more heat and not being able to dissipate quickly.

I like the OEM for a good balance of all factors involved. The only negative is the OEM rotor gets rust spots, but that is cosmetic and goes away with couple of brake application.

Salim
Old 07-05-15, 03:29 PM
lexrally
Rookie

OEM brake pads are semi-metallic. I am reviewing web reviews comparing both, semi-metallic pads seem to be the ones that offer better performance and "bite" that I am used to with this car. Can anyone offer some insight into the difference between semi-metallic pads vs ceramic specifically regarding "bite" or in my own words "stickiness". I hate thiis feeling of the current confirguration with ceramics and whatever the new rotors happen t be. Is there any difference between OEM rotors and the rest?
Old 07-05-15, 05:05 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been happy with a combination of Akebono ceramic pads ( which I believe are OEM ) and Centric rotors with e-coating. Both available on Amazon.
Old 07-06-15, 01:05 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by colenzae
I've been happy with a combination of Akebono ceramic pads ( which I believe are OEM ) and Centric rotors with e-coating. Both available on Amazon.
Have used this combo on my last 4 pad/rotor change-outs on my cars plus ones I maintain for family members. For decades I used nothing but Toyota/Lexus OEM except for a few experiments with premium aftermarket brands which never performed as well as OEM. However, this combo is absolutely perfect. Great braking, low/zero dust, no pedal pulsation and absolutely quiet as a church mouse.
Old 07-06-15, 03:08 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel you...got new drilled and slotted rotors for my 02 and that was the worst mistake I could have ever made, the pads are duralast gold from autozone...anyways the brakes make a dull annoying sound when the brakes are applied and I have to push harder on the brakes to stop especially when they are cold in the morning...when I had the original brakes and rotors that thing stopped on a dime...I got all 4 rotors for 170$ off of amazon they are supposedly made in the USA... they definitely cool quicker and have less fade when they get hot but they are noisey, so I'm thinking about going back to regular oem pads and rotors.
Old 07-06-15, 09:22 AM
VegasRX300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexrally
OEM brake pads are semi-metallic. I am reviewing web reviews comparing both, semi-metallic pads seem to be the ones that offer better performance and "bite" that I am used to with this car. Can anyone offer some insight into the difference between semi-metallic pads vs ceramic specifically regarding "bite" or in my own words "stickiness". I hate thiis feeling of the current confirguration with ceramics and whatever the new rotors happen t be. Is there any difference between OEM rotors and the rest?
What I got after switching to ceramic brakes & slotted and drilled rotors (front, just slotted rotors on the rear) was just the opposite, lots of bite. Maybe too much. Real sensitive.
I am thinking of switching back to semi-metallic pads for a smoother brake.
When the ceramic pads heat up they have more bite and really brings the front of the car down. If I was living where I drove a mountain pass everyday, I might need the ceramic because of no brake fade.
And sure, there's a difference from OEM & aftermarket. Japanese steel vs Chinese steel (or made in Mexico) So sad we don't have any USA steel any more. It truly was the best.
Old 07-07-15, 11:03 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From my experience, if you want top quality with good bites, Brembo Rotors + Akebono Pads.

Last edited by lexina; 07-07-15 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-07-15, 10:26 PM
mizak82
Rookie

do the rx300 oem rotors match the highlander? would be cheaper if they do no?
Old 07-07-15, 11:09 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 73 Posts

Can't go wrong with akebono pads. Been using them for all the cars that I had and it reduces the brake dust too!
Old 07-08-15, 04:48 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

When shopping for rotors be aware that the rear rotors are different among AWD and FWD models. I have come across many posts where the seller or buyer was not aware that the AWD rears rotors are bigger in size as compared to the ones that fit the FWD model.

Salim
Old 07-10-15, 08:08 AM
hayafalcon
Driver School Candidate

Okay, here's one for you guys. I was able to outfit all four corners of my 2003 Highlander for PEANUTS!

Lurked around on Amazon.com for a few weeks. The "Amazon Warehouse Deals" section sells returns and items that the packaging is dinged up, etc.

Get this....includes shipping, all new parts:

Rear rotors Dura International $ 6.51 ea
Front rotors Dura International $12.13 ea

Front pads Okebono ProAct $22.14
Rear pads Okebono ProAct $7.57

Total with shipping: $66.99

True. I've been driving for about two months now with zero problems. Haya.....
Badda-Bing!
Old 07-15-15, 01:18 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for sharing. That was a real deal.

Originally Posted by hayafalcon
Okay, here's one for you guys. I was able to outfit all four corners of my 2003 Highlander for PEANUTS!

Lurked around on Amazon.com for a few weeks. The "Amazon Warehouse Deals" section sells returns and items that the packaging is dinged up, etc.

Get this....includes shipping, all new parts:

Rear rotors Dura International $ 6.51 ea
Front rotors Dura International $12.13 ea

Front pads Okebono ProAct $22.14
Rear pads Okebono ProAct $7.57

Total with shipping: $66.99

True. I've been driving for about two months now with zero problems. Haya.....
Badda-Bing!