RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Womp womp womp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-15, 03:21 PM
aznlapin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Womp womp womp?

Ok, I admit, I only briefly tried searching for this in past posts, but really, what do I search for?

Background:
It's been going on for a couple months and I have no clue what's up. Don't think it's a ripped boot, didn't see any grease stains when I changed the oil last month. Also didn't notice any clicking when I turn. Had my front struts replaced last year and did an alignment then (front only because my rear alignment nut is completely stripped and cant be removed with replacing the whole assembly). Don't think it's an unbalanced wheel, did my tire rotation two weeks ago and it's still there.

So, going at any speed (10-90mph), I can feel a chopping feeling (the kind of noise and feeling from a fan with one of the fins missing) from the driver seat. It seems like it's coming from the front left wheel well area because I can feel it pretty strongly with my left leg on the foot rest. I can feel it through the seat and steering wheel as well.
This "womp womp womp" is the worst when I'm going between 30-50mph, lessens a bit around 70-80mph. Also a bit less when I'm turning right or gliding.

Checking out some youtube videos, it seems like it could be the wheel bearings going out? But I have no clue how to check.

Anyone ever had this issue before or know how to check if it's the wheel bearings on a AWD?

PS: I did see this, but there was no conclusion/solution.

Last edited by aznlapin; 06-21-15 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-21-15, 08:22 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Try swapping out wheels and see if the noise moves.

Salim
Old 06-22-15, 09:01 AM
Z07
Driver

While you have a wheel jacked off the ground, grab the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and alternately push and pull then try it at 3 and 9. Any movement should be suspect and investigated further.
Old 06-22-15, 10:58 PM
aznlapin
Driver

Originally Posted by Z07
While you have a wheel jacked off the ground, grab the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and alternately push and pull then try it at 3 and 9. Any movement should be suspect and investigated further.
I'll try that and see. How much force should I be applying?

Salim, as stated, had my tires rotated two weeks ago and it didn't change. Same problem at front driver side.
Old 06-22-15, 11:01 PM
Z07
Driver

Originally Posted by aznlapin

Salim, as stated, had my tires rotated two weeks ago and it didn't change. Same problem at front driver side.
With only one wheel raised at a time apply all the force your body can make. I mean don't go and attach levers or anything like that.

When you check all four corners if you feel something odd check the other side and see if it feels the same. What are the odds that two bearings fail at the same time in the same manner? If DS and PS feel the same it is unlikely a bearing is gone.
Old 06-23-15, 05:05 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by aznlapin

Sorry, I missed that.

You are getting excellent advice from Z07 on how to check out the bearing. If you get a rock on 9-3 position have some one look at the steering links for play. The 12-6 is preferred for bearing, but then again one has to keep an eye on the suspension as source of the give.

My 2c
Usually the bearing gives a constant whine when it goes bad. The whomp whomp sound .. tied to the rolling speed is the wheel/tire/shaft.

Assuming it is the tire/wheel:
Some of the wheel problem happens due to the struts going bad and causing permanent cuts in the tire and if you have been swapping the same set of tires the other tire gets the similar scallops. You can jack up the offending corner and rotate the wheel and fell the edges .. they should be smooth. To totally eliminate the wheel, I would suggest bring the spare in.
Why am I still on the wheel .... it is one of the easy things to confirm or eliminate.

Salim
Old 06-24-15, 04:16 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Every wheel bearing I've had go bad, and those friends have had go bad, makes this 'womp-womp-womp' sound, and what cements it for me is it changes as you turn right.

Sounds like the RF wheel bearing, as it lessens when you turn right (less pressure on it).

Last edited by mckellyb; 07-04-15 at 07:54 AM.