RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 rx300 throwing codes: 0325,0330,1135,1155

Old 06-24-15, 03:35 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

yes you can remove the manifold w/o separating the throttlebody. Take the time to remove the windshield wiper cowl to make space. Look for the DIY instructions i've posted in the DIY stickys thread.

You will need to lift the manifold off the studs after you removed your 2 ground wires and 3 retaining bolts from the back of the manifold. Unclip the IACV and throttle body wiring. At that point you can flip the manifold over to the drivers side of the engine bay and proceed to unclamp the remaining coolant hoses that are attaching the manifold to the car.

Use specified maf cleaner or electronics cleaner spray to clean the maf..nothing else.
Old 06-24-15, 04:50 PM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...OK, I did get the wiper cowl loose and swung up out of the way over the driver's side of the windsheild. I couldn't figure out how to remove it entirely due to the wiring coming from the wiper motor and sealed through the firewall.
Aso, I finally found the DIY instructions for the job. It looks like I may have gone through unnecessary frustration removing the bar going between the strut towers, but it does seem like I have more room to work now. I am wondering if the hidden bolt discussed on the thread is referring to the top bolt holding the vertical black bar that attaches to the IM on top and the engine block on the bottom. If so, I couldn't figure out how to get it loosened on top (couldn't get a socket in between the bar and the firewall and my wrench couldn't turn between the raised edges), so removed the bottom bolt holding the brace to the engine block from underneath the vehicle. I am hoping this will allow me to remove the intake with the brace attached. Have you heard of anyone having any success with this method. What does IACV stand for? Thanks again for everything...
Old 06-24-15, 05:09 PM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

One thing I wish I had done was mark the hoses (color-coded). I did take notes to help me and tried to take pics with my phone at what seemed like significant steps along the way.
Old 06-24-15, 06:03 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by Jacklalane
Thanks...OK, I did get the wiper cowl loose and swung up out of the way over the driver's side of the windsheild. I couldn't figure out how to remove it entirely due to the wiring coming from the wiper motor and sealed through the firewall.
Aso, I finally found the DIY instructions for the job. It looks like I may have gone through unnecessary frustration removing the bar going between the strut towers, but it does seem like I have more room to work now. I am wondering if the hidden bolt discussed on the thread is referring to the top bolt holding the vertical black bar that attaches to the IM on top and the engine block on the bottom. If so, I couldn't figure out how to get it loosened on top (couldn't get a socket in between the bar and the firewall and my wrench couldn't turn between the raised edges), so removed the bottom bolt holding the brace to the engine block from underneath the vehicle. I am hoping this will allow me to remove the intake with the brace attached. Have you heard of anyone having any success with this method. What does IACV stand for? Thanks again for everything...
IACV..intake air control valve. Its off one of the 2 plug harness connected around the throttlebody.

take a look at this thread, lots of little tidbits to give you clues on finding a best approach to the intake manifold removal. a bunch of us have slightly different ways of doing things. Post #85 gives a view of what you are dealing with. Besides the support brackets there is one additional bolt you will have to remove that secures the power steering line on the back of the manifold.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lve-cover.html
Old 06-24-15, 07:09 PM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

Thank you...You are right...lots of good tips on that thread. I have it bookmarked now.
I had no idea I still had a bracket to unbolt. It looks like the bracket I still have to remove doesn't have the raised edges of the passenger side one that were giving me so much trouble, so I'm thinking that maybe the other one (driver side) will be more accessible with a wrench...maybe even a socket is that correct? Is the bolt that secures the power steering line visible on that pic?
Old 06-24-15, 07:10 PM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

I have also been having the oil consumption issues mentioned on that thread and just happened to have changed my pcv valve (which was pretty nasty) the other day, but started on this job before I had a chance to see if it helped my oil consumption. I was completely puzzled as I was using a lot of oil, but not a drop on the floor of my garage as with a rear seal, and no smoke (or oil burning odor whatsoever) from my exhaust. I am very hopeful that replacing the valve along with my valve cover gaskets will be a big help as I could smell burning oil (like the smell you get when you accidentally get some on your exhaust manifold (as opposed to the smell of oil burning in the combustion process)
Old 06-25-15, 04:37 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

the bolt that secures the power steering line isnt visible on the pic on post #85..but you can see where it would attach...look approximately an inch to the right of the top drivers side bracket top bolt shown in the pic.
Old 06-25-15, 05:17 AM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you...

Got it...thank you much...again.
Old 06-25-15, 05:21 AM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

Default Salim

I watched your vid on knock sensor replacement and the whole thing was fantastic and full of great tips, but the idea of using a 1/4" socket to release the retainers is absolutely golden in its simplicity~*
Old 06-28-15, 03:37 AM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

Default Can anyone tell me....

Can anyone tell me what the bottom two gaskets in this set are for? Their composition is like the valve cover gasket material. They were in the set I received as the "1MZFE 3GRFSE Intake Manifold Gasket Set" However they didn't send one to replace the one where my throttle body connects to the plenum. I suppose I understand that as the plenum isn't the intake manifold. Should there be any problem in using the old one there?
Attached Thumbnails 2001 rx300 throwing codes: 0325,0330,1135,1155-gaskets.jpg