RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 06:32 AM
Piece350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this true?

Hi Everyone,

I need a second key because my primary key just broke. I just got off the phone with the dealership and they told me that in order to buy a key I need to purchase a new immobilizer for my RX so that the new key can work...seems kind of suspect to me...is this true? I assumed that I could just buy a new key/fob, have it programmed and cut and viola...

Thanks...
Old 06-09-15, 08:02 AM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your broken key a master key with the built in remote?

If so, did it simply break in that the plastic shell separated from the metal and spilled out the electronics and battery?

In your owner's manual or some other safe place there should be a small metal tab on a key ring that has a numeric code (4 digits I think) that is your key code that vendors can use to cut new keys. This same code is on the original passenger side door lock assembly. You have to remove it from the inside of the door to see it, however. Some vendors can cut a new key from a good picture of your key.

If you look on eBay you will find people selling RX key blanks and offering cutting service. All you need to do is move your electronic bits from your broken key into your new key when you get it.
Old 06-09-15, 09:34 AM
Piece350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Z07
Is your broken key a master key with the built in remote?

If so, did it simply break in that the plastic shell separated from the metal and spilled out the electronics and battery?

In your owner's manual or some other safe place there should be a small metal tab on a key ring that has a numeric code (4 digits I think) that is your key code that vendors can use to cut new keys. This same code is on the original passenger side door lock assembly. You have to remove it from the inside of the door to see it, however. Some vendors can cut a new key from a good picture of your key.

If you look on eBay you will find people selling RX key blanks and offering cutting service. All you need to do is move your electronic bits from your broken key into your new key when you get it.
It is the master key. The key broke away from the plastic electronics case...I ordered a key/fob from ebay and sent in my key code so that it can be successfully. I am not sure what my local dealer was selling, but I didn't think that the immobilizer needed to be changed and reprogrammed...
Old 06-09-15, 09:51 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Piece350
Hi Everyone,

I need a second key because my primary key just broke. I just got off the phone with the dealership and they told me that in order to buy a key I need to purchase a new immobilizer for my RX so that the new key can work...seems kind of suspect to me...is this true? I assumed that I could just buy a new key/fob, have it programmed and cut and viola...

Thanks...
With all the electronics and magnetic signatures, the question has to be more precise... based on what you have and what you want to accomplish.

"just broke" ? what does it really mean.
a) your plastic shell broke
b) the metal blade is twisted/broken
c) Electronics is not working

This leads to the next important question ,,, what do you have that works and what else do you have.
Best possible answers are
1) I have another master key
2) The remote from my broken key is fully functional.
3) The magnetic slug is intact but the remote buttons do not work.

If you read the sticky threads you can figure out the next step on you own. Else write the answers to the above and we can guide you.

To answer your question .. is it rue ...
It can be partially right .. you may need a new ecu and new master keys. But that is an extreme case .. when you do not have any working/registered master key.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-09-15 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-09-15, 05:49 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Go to e-bay and type in "RX300 key shell". Best case, if the buttons all work and the plastic shell has simply broken away from the metal key. $5.00 for the new key/shell, $25 to have your dealer cut the key and $0 to install your old electronics/button core.
Old 06-10-15, 04:53 AM
Piece350
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
With all the electronics and magnetic signatures, the question has to be more precise... based on what you have and what you want to accomplish.

"just broke" ? what does it really mean.
a) your plastic shell broke
b) the metal blade is twisted/broken
c) Electronics is not working

This leads to the next important question ,,, what do you have that works and what else do you have.
Best possible answers are
1) I have another master key
2) The remote from my broken key is fully functional.
3) The magnetic slug is intact but the remote buttons do not work.

If you read the sticky threads you can figure out the next step on you own. Else write the answers to the above and we can guide you.

To answer your question .. is it rue ...
It can be partially right .. you may need a new ecu and new master keys. But that is an extreme case .. when you do not have any working/registered master key.

Salim
Salim,

The metal blade broke. All electronics work fine. I use my spare key and my fob to open and close the car. So I ordered a shell with blade (the seller is cutting it for me. I gave him my key code). I am switching my current electronics into the new shell that's coming in from ebay...with currency conversion and shipping, the blade and fob is $38 CAD...not bad considering the dealership wanted $457+tax...
Old 06-10-15, 01:14 PM
salimshah

Salim,

The metal blade broke. All electronics work fine. I use my spare key and my fob to open and close the car. So I ordered a shell with blade (the seller is cutting it for me. I gave him my key code). I am switching my current electronics into the new shell that's coming in from ebay...with currency conversion and shipping, the blade and fob is $38 CAD...not bad considering the dealership wanted $457+tax...
Very good.

You dont even have to program the unit/rx.

Just make sure you have more than 1 master key and with that you can always reprogram other cheaper solutions.

If you have only 1 master key and that gets lost then it will $$$

Salim
Old 06-11-15, 05:41 AM
Piece350
Rookie

Yeah, I am quite happy about my purchase. Dealership is useless...my local Lexus dealer wanted to put in a new immobilizer as well lol...like WOW...

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-17-15, 05:54 PM
Piece350
Rookie

Default Programming key...

Hi Everyone,

So, I just got my new key shell and cut blade from e-bay. Key works fine as I tested it without old fob electronics. I started the RX by putting the old fob with electronics close the new shell/key and ignition...viola it turned over and started...

However, when I put the old electronics into the new shell/blade and then tried starting it, the RX merely turned over only...

Do I need to reprogram the new shell/blade? I'm currently using my spare key...

Cheers...
Old 06-18-15, 10:56 AM
Piece350
Rookie

None of the procedures that I tried from older posts on here worked...
Old 06-18-15, 04:27 PM
salimshah

Hi Everyone,

So, I just got my new key shell and cut blade from e-bay. Key works fine as I tested it without old fob electronics. I started the RX by putting the old fob with electronics close the new shell/key and ignition...viola it turned over and started...

However, when I put the old electronics into the new shell/blade and then tried starting it, the RX merely turned over only...

Do I need to reprogram the new shell/blade? I'm currently using my spare key...

Cheers...

Having the electronics in-vs-out should not make a difference.

Please repeat with the electronics out.

Before you try to reprogram, make sure you have a recognized master.

Salim
Old 06-19-15, 05:01 AM
Piece350
Rookie

Having the electronics in-vs-out should not make a difference.

Please repeat with the electronics out.

Before you try to reprogram, make sure you have a recognized master.

Salim
I found the issue: I don't have the recognized master key. So I may need to get a new immobilizer computer...
Old 06-19-15, 07:26 AM
salimshah

I found the issue: I don't have the recognized master key. So I may need to get a new immobilizer computer...
But the electronics from the the broken key is recognized as "ok to start". So you may not be able to make copies, but the old one should work ... and it did when you kept it in proximity.

Salim
Old 06-19-15, 09:14 AM
Piece350
Rookie

But the electronics from the the broken key is recognized as "ok to start". So you may not be able to make copies, but the old one should work ... and it did when you kept it in proximity.

Salim
The issue is that the "master key" is actually the valet key...so the actual "master key" is missing...which is the problem
Old 06-19-15, 10:16 AM
salimshah

The issue is that the "master key" is actually the valet key...so the actual "master key" is missing...which is the problem
I understand that you do not have a master key, so that will prevent you from registering new electronics.

The key blade is dumb (passive) to match with the tumblers (or equiv). So you can duplicate it.

When we started the discussion the idea was (and still is) that you will transport the electronics and the new key will work. [new blade + old electronics].

I want to make sure you were able to do the above.

Programming a new electronics will require master and if you dont have one then the ecu needs to be replaced. The list grows as the key cylinders may need to replaced too.

Salim

Quick Reply: Is this true?