RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Intermittent brake pulsing/judder

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 02:03 AM
sliderman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent brake pulsing/judder

Hi from UK.

Have a lovely 2001 RX300 with 116k on it. Drives fine with the exception of occasional brake judder which feels like from right front.

This will appear from time to time but days can pass without the issue

Car stops fine and abs light does not come on (except when starting car of course).

Brakes have been replaced, calipers replaced, and even swapped from one side to the other to see if it was a parts issue.

Garage has managed to replicate the issue but not resolve it.

Have lived with the issue for about 18 months and car passes MOT here without any problem.
There is no pattern to it. No better or worse in wet or dry and regardless of speed.

Had the tracking done (4 wheel) when tyres replaced 5k ago - found to be out but no change in brake issue though of course!

Only thing I have noticed is that there's an occasional "twang" from underneath the car when releasing the parking brake (needs adjusting as no longer holds) and when putting car on close to full lock when reversing off drive.

No white knuckle moments - as I say car always stops fine and without issue - its simply the occasional pulsing that I'd like to sort. Due to the age of the car I don't want to hand it over to Lexus!!!

Is there a known or obvious problem/solution? Is it something electronic that can be code read?

Many thanks
Old 05-06-15, 08:17 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

its either the abs sensor or the tone ring on the associated axle. Before ordering a new sensor, remove the old one and clean it of any debris. While the old sensor is out of the knuckle, the tone ring can be visible in the hole. If the tone ring spins independently of the axle or missing, it is the problem.

As a separate issue, your parking brake shoes are probably worn out and need replacing.