RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

touching up areas of paint/spraying

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-15, 09:27 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DewHawk
Matt, I did mine in the garage np problem (rattle can). I just masked everything off the area and covered the car with a moving pad/rugs, etc. Put large pieces of cardboard on the floor to protect and rugs over tire as needed. Then I would open the garage door to air it out and a fan to help drying. FYI
Did you use sandpaper to sand down the areas you wanted to spray first before spraying it like one of more of the others on here recommended to me?
Old 05-27-15, 12:12 PM
VegasRX300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matts6887
Did you use sandpaper to sand down the areas you wanted to spray first before spraying it like one of more of the others on here recommended to me?
Matt, sanding the area before painting was NOT just a recommendation, you have to in order for the paint to stick. Paint will not adhere to a shinny surface. It needs something to stick to. It will peel if not scuffed giving the paint something to adhere to.

It was also HIGHLY recommended NOT to rattle can the body panels. I went into detail about the tri-coat Lexus uses.
Also suggested you look at some web sites.

I only recommended painting the cladding or bumpers. And then you HAVE to sand the panels. Its called prep work. Prep work is 99% of a paint job. You can be the best painter in the world and without good prep work the paint job is useless if it peels.

Please take photos of before and after.
Old 05-27-15, 10:27 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasRX300
Matt, sanding the area before painting was NOT just a recommendation, you have to in order for the paint to stick. Paint will not adhere to a shinny surface. It needs something to stick to. It will peel if not scuffed giving the paint something to adhere to.

It was also HIGHLY recommended NOT to rattle can the body panels. I went into detail about the tri-coat Lexus uses.

I only recommended painting the cladding or bumpers. And then you HAVE to sand the panels. Its called prep work. Prep work is 99% of a paint job. You can be the best painter in the world and without good prep work the paint job is useless if it peels.

Is there an echo?

I am almost sure that Matt read an understood your earlier posts on this issue.

Matt, you understand that taking an advice or ignoring it is your option. And you can not hold any one responsible for the choice(s) you make. Neither CL, nor the member(s) is/are responsible for the outcome of the advice posted here.

Salim
Old 05-28-15, 09:24 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah
Is there an echo?

I am almost sure that Matt read an understood your earlier posts on this issue.

Matt, you understand that taking an advice or ignoring it is your option. And you can not hold any one responsible for the choice(s) you make. Neither CL, nor the member(s) is/are responsible for the outcome of the advice posted here.

Salim
That is a given salim; but; i will be sure to sand down any areas that I intend on spraying first since it wont adhere without doing that.
Old 05-28-15, 02:53 PM
VegasRX300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, I added some photos of a few cars I have painted of the 100's I've painted over the years on my profile page. Check them out.
Alan
Old 05-28-15, 07:32 PM
matts6887
Racer

Matt, I added some photos of a few cars I have painted of the 100's I've painted over the years on my profile page. Check them out.
Alan
I will look more when i have a chance which may not be til next week.(I will be unavailable this weekend).
Old 05-28-15, 07:35 PM
matts6887
Racer

Yes; I realize that prep work is the only real way to get the paint to stick properly without running into hopefully too many issues. As for not doing the body panels; well; there are still some spots where there are scratches on both the left drivers side door and left rear door; as well as other spots on the hood and other various spots that have scratches etc that i want to cover up.
Old 05-29-15, 05:28 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
there are still some spots where there are scratches on both the left drivers side door and left rear door; as well as other spots on the hood and other various spots that have scratches etc that i want to cover up.

Has anyone discussed a Duplicolor Touch Up Pen?

They are color matched and it fills in small scratches and chips very well and they're super easy to use.

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/scratchFix/

I did all the tiny chips on the front of my RX and it turned out fine.

Just a thought.......