RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Removing Harness wires from Altenator

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 06:24 AM
joeross10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Harness wires from Altenator

All

I am hoping someone can help me with how to remove three different connections to the alternator.

The first two are depicted in one picture. One connection has a hard gray cap and the other a soft rubber boot which can be lifted to expose the wires and hard black plastic piece which connects to the alternator.

The last is connected in the other picture. It appears simply to just hold the harness to the alternator.

Any help on how to remove these three connections without ruining them would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Harness wires from Altenator-img_2565.jpg   Removing Harness wires from Altenator-img_2566.jpg  
Old 04-28-15, 09:53 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove the grey hard cover by prying up by the bottom ( It may broke so old) and you will find 10mm bolt need to remove this and power connector will come out.
Old 04-29-15, 10:11 AM
VegasRX300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last photo of the grey clip does just hold the harness to keep it out of any harm. This too might break if you try prying it off the alternator but it will open without prying it off to allow the harness to be free. If it does break while trying to open it, no biggie, pry it the rest of the way off and just use a black zip tie to keep the harness in place and cut off the excess of the tie with a pair of wire cutters. Nothing looks worse to me than a zip tie not trimmed. Just looks sloppy not trimmed but trimmed looks pretty clean. You can buy a whole bag of zip ties at Home Depot (or Lowes) a lot cheaper than any auto parts store.
Old 05-01-15, 05:53 AM
joeross10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gazi001
Remove the grey hard cover by prying up by the bottom ( It may broke so old) and you will find 10mm bolt need to remove this and power connector will come out.
Thanks, I will try that today. What about the other wires that come from the harness with the black rubber boot. How is that removed?
Old 05-01-15, 09:38 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by joeross10
Thanks, I will try that today. What about the other wires that come from the harness with the black rubber boot. How is that removed?
Just curious; why do you need to remove the alternator? did yours suddenly go bad and now there is the need to replace it? or did just one of the wiring harnesses wear out or something?
Old 05-01-15, 10:27 AM
salimshah

Received 1,008 Likes on 911 Posts

Disconnect the battery (must)

Stick a thin flat screw driver in the slot to release the wire clamp.

Squeeze the the ring around the single wire. Squeezing at certain points will help pop the cover over easier.

The last connector is like any other connector. There should be a release clip.

Like all connectors that have never been separated, it may be a bit of struggle.

Never pull on the wires.

It is all intuitive. You are over thinking the problem. Meaning no offense, make sure what you are about to do is within your ability. Reason I bring it up, is the questions you are asking are in the realm of basic understanding. I do encourage folks to DIY and build their skill from easy to difficult.

Note: When some one posts on the net, it is impossible to determine their skill level. Please excuse me if I underestimated your skill level.

Salim

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-01-15 at 10:32 AM.