RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Suggestions for other repairs while doing CV Axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 04:57 AM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggestions for other repairs while doing CV Axle

So I now have to do the front CV axles. While I'm taking everything apart, I plan to do the following:

lower control arms
ball joint
outer tie rod end.
wheel bearing

I'm considering:
inner tie rod
sway bar bushings

How difficult is it to do the inner tie rod & sway bar bushings?

Is there anything else that will be exposed during this job that will probably need to be done?

Is there an aftermarket brand recommended for the wheel bearings?

Does anyone know the Toyota part # for any of the parts listed? I see on the forums that the Lexus shares the same lower control arm as the '98 Camry. Does anyone have part # for comparable parts for other items?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-15, 05:30 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by thaeleelyr
Is there an aftermarket brand recommended for the wheel bearings?
Have had good luck with NTN and Timken bearings.

Do not get the Timken wheel bearing seals. NAPA has a made in USA supplier for their bearing seals with much better quality.
Old 03-25-15, 06:23 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Please look at what is available on Rockauto.com...they have great prices on all of your parts...Timken is an excellent bearing....
Old 03-25-15, 06:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I should add that for those only replacing the axle, you only need to undo the ball joint. There's no need to disconnect the outer tie-rod end and or strut.
Old 03-25-15, 06:52 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Add transmission output seals.

Salim
Old 03-25-15, 06:56 AM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Have had good luck with NTN and Timken bearings.

Do not get the Timken wheel bearing seals. NAPA has a made in USA supplier for their bearing seals with much better quality.
How difficult is it to get the bearings off the hub? Should I get the bearing/hub assembly?

I can't seem to find a wheel seal for the fronts. Do you have a part #?
Old 03-25-15, 07:42 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

How difficult is it to get the bearings off the hub? Should I get the bearing/hub assembly?

I can't seem to find a wheel seal for the fronts. Do you have a part #?
Sorry I haven't performed any axle or bearing replacements yet on the RX300. You'll have to call a Lexus/Toyota part counter to see if the front axles require a seal.

It can be a big PITA if you don't have a press available. Call your local machine shop for pricing of pressing/installing your bearing. In the past, i've been charged as little as $25 per hub on other cars i've had.

FWIW, autozone has free loaner seal drivers and bearing pullers available that might work if you want to tackle it yourself.

Edit: Just came across the DIY thread . The front uses an oil seal and snap ring.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...placement.html

Last edited by fastnoypi; 03-25-15 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-25-15, 05:18 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for the advice. Has anyone ever done their inner tie rods? Cheapest I can find are $80 a pop and I'm starting to break the bank.

Salim: the transmission output seals - I presume these are where the CV axle enters the transmission?

Fastnoypi: I decided to just buy the assemblies. I live out in the boonies and it's difficult to get anywhere without wheels under me. Thanks for the link, that got me looking at the schematics again.

I wonder how many big baby crocodile tears this job will squeeze out of me. lol
Old 03-25-15, 08:35 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice. Has anyone ever done their inner tie rods? Cheapest I can find are $80 a pop and I'm starting to break the bank.

Salim: the transmission output seals - I presume these are where the CV axle enters the transmission?

Fastnoypi: I decided to just buy the assemblies. I live out in the boonies and it's difficult to get anywhere without wheels under me. Thanks for the link, that got me looking at the schematics again.

I wonder how many big baby crocodile tears this job will squeeze out of me. lol
Yes, those are the seals I am talking about. It is also recommended to replace the the lock/snap that goes on the end of the shaft and locks the shaft in the transmission [Please check the notes as there is a recommended direction the snap should face as you mate them.]

Read my DIY on boot repair. Skip the details but follow the checks.

You must lay the old and the new shafts side by side to ensure they are of the right length. Protect your threads at all times (I usually put the nuts on the threads to protect them). Never stretch the shaft and when you pick it up, lift from both sides [if you pick from one end, you will stretch it out]

Exercise caution and do one side at one time (keep three wheels on the ground at all times). Do not force anything and you will need a high range torque wrench and large socket.

Salim

Salim