RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 09:26 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default throttle body cleaning

When and how often should the throttle body itself be cleaned out and what is the best stuff to use on it and is there a diy for this somewhere on these forums? Thanks!
Old 03-08-15, 09:55 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Normally, never [assuming a good quality air filter is used and you have not modified the intake].

If the intake is removed, to say access the knock-sensors, then it should be cleaned. Mostly the cleaning is done with carb cleaner* and the part should be thoroughly dried. You will also need compressed air to clean it out completely.

Side note for Matt:
The vehicle is a mode of transportation to be enjoyed and used. It is not to dismantle and learn. Put the wrench away and just do regular maintenance. When you hear/see abnormality only then investigate. As vehicles age, things become brittle and there is a higher chance of breaking things when you are just exploring.

My motto is do necessary minimum.

Salim

ps: * you are past the sensors so cab cleaner is ok.

Last edited by salimshah; 03-08-15 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-08-15, 10:14 AM
matts6887
Racer

Of course; I know its to be used, etc; but keep this in mind also: for me; since this is the first "used" vehicle I have had in quite some time(all of my previous ones were new from the start); I like to gather info so that when the time comes to do cleaning of the maf, throttle body, etc; then I will know what exactly needs to be done, etc. I just cleaned out the maf; so maybe that will help in the mpg department a little(probably not a lot I would imagine). So; u see; to me its doing preventive maintenance that can be done easily; that wont take me a super long time to do(other than the bigger stuff like changing plugs, and the rear valve cover, etc) that I want to initially get done to get as much out of the vehicle as i can and so I hopefully dont h ave anything go awry so to speak. That is all

Last edited by matts6887; 03-08-15 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-08-15, 10:58 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I am glad you took my comments in the right frame of mind. I was cringing a bit that my post boarders attacking you [which was not my intent]. So thank you for that.

What I keep harping on is preventive maintenance. That is covered in the user manual or you can get it by calling a dealership and insisting on telling you what the manufacturer recommends for your area and driving.

Now when you come around to do these, then simply post and tap on the combined wisdom of the net to get recommendation about what else should be touched. Then you can make an informed decision based on your situation (financial etc).

If on the other hand you go by problems reported on the net, you will have to consider preemptively fixing
1. Transmission
2. Wheel Bearing
3. Struts
4. hood and trunk stays
5. Ball joints
6. IACV
7. Door lock actuators.

and the list goes on (although in no particular order).

Hence my advice, only fix what needs to be fixed. If it aint broken, dont touch it. Most likely you will end up in worst situation by tinkering. If you have the know how or deep pockets or both then ignore my advice.

Regarding Spark plugs (normal maintenance item at 110K), it is fairly simple, provided you have the right tools and patience (been there, done that, was not so difficult so I did not lock the process in memory. Only thing that needs to be removed is the engine cover. Some folks will get a kick out this ,,,, I was unable to use torque wrench on the rear plugs.)

Salim
ps: regarding repairs, I am **** about doing it right. I hope other people are too. Get your self the factory service manual set.

Last edited by salimshah; 03-08-15 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-08-15, 02:39 PM
matts6887
Racer

nah salim; your comments were perfectly fine. Not a problem. As for what to do etc; for now; i think as i may have mentioned before; Im gonna leave the rear valve cover and gasket alone(for now) since i have zero signs of oil leaking or burning oil. Although I did not check it today and i probably should. I went into the service history on the lexus site to see what was and was not done thus far; and unfortunately for me; its quite possible the plugs were never changed unless they were done by a previous owner(s) before they traded it in at the dealer I got it from. And with that in mind; I think I will pick up 6 new denso or ngk iridium plugs. Now with that in mind; what do you think salim; is the easiest way to get to the rear plugs? Do I have to take the wipers and cowl off as if i were going to do the valve cover replacement and then remove the intake as well just to get to them or is there a easier; more sane way(I say sane because sometimes doing these types of maintenance items is enough to make ya lose yer sanity lol)
to get the rear plugs out? Also; where can i get the factory service manual that it wont cost me a arm and a leg to buy because I still have to get those 6 plugs. One last thing; would autozone; pepboys' or oreilly auto parts have the plugs I need(Im thinking they should) or are these ones lexus specific that I can only get online?

Last edited by matts6887; 03-08-15 at 02:42 PM. Reason: adding/changing info