RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

KEYs for the SUV

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 07:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07
Just to add, I've read/heard from different sources that the credit card key is a master. All keys contain an RFID.
Credit card key can only open the door though.

This is what it says on the credit card for the key holder:
NOTICE: This Flat Key is only used for door locks and other locks in case of an emergency. Not for ignition.
Old 12-12-13, 04:49 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I must be missing something but what if some poor soul, possibly original owner, just loses their master key(s) and only have the so called valet key? Can't they just go to the dealer and "order" a new master key at a reasonable price, like a couple of hundred dollars? Makes little sense to me if that is not possible.
Old 12-12-13, 06:58 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by kalali
Thanks for all the responses. I must be missing something but what if some poor soul, possibly original owner, just loses their master key(s) and only have the so called valet key? Can't they just go to the dealer and "order" a new master key at a reasonable price, like a couple of hundred dollars? Makes little sense to me if that is not possible.
There is nothing magical in the master key. It is the ECU which remembers the magnetic signature and tags it in memory as a master key. So the issue is the ECU in the RX has a locked signature For it to accept another key, you must provide the right credentials (use the previously registered master key).

Salim
Old 12-18-13, 03:40 PM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
I was planning to move the post regarding the duplication to the other thread, and was hoping we would get some update from Z07. Z07, please post after contacting Lexus of Austin. Since we are still using key duplication to verify the Techstream capability, so lets leave this discussion here (for some more time).

Salim
I'm sorry. I did not realize that I was supposed to contact Lexus of Austin.

You just want me to call them, from Atlanta (900 miles away), to see if they can cut a new master for someone like me who has only a valet?

Do you have a contact there?

I will call them if you like. I won't drive 13 hours to see them, however.
Old 12-18-13, 04:01 PM
Z07
Driver

I spoke with Allen at Lexus of Austin. He said they could not program a new master with only a valet key.
He transferred me to Rachael in their parts department and she said they could cut a key (just so I could have a spare that would open the locks) but will not ship any order for anything out of state.

Verify if you wish at 512-343-3444
Old 12-18-13, 04:10 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07
I'm sorry. I did not realize that I was supposed to contact Lexus of Austin.

You just want me to call them, from Atlanta (900 miles away), to see if they can cut a new master for someone like me who has only a valet?

Do you have a contact there?

I will call them if you like. I won't drive 13 hours to see them, however.
After dealing with posts on the net, I have learnt that it is best to let the interested parties speak for themselves. I did my share of digging and found the post where a member claimed that he was able to duplicate from Valet key from Lexus of Austin. It is really your decision (your need) to call their service dept. Once it is confirmed that they can do the seeding, you can overnight the valet etc. Here in CL we want some one to second the previous claim. I hope you will be able to confirm or refute.

Please feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance.

Salim
Old 03-11-14, 03:51 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

Remember: cheap keys purchased online will continue to break... It's only a quick fix that will cost you more in the end! The Eternity Key is a BETTER replacement key with a lifetime warranty, and available at Lexus dealers exclusively. Made with military grade materials, the Eternity Key is stronger and lower cost than Lexus OEM keys, and you will never have to buy another key again. See website for list of dealers, or contact the dealer near you to ask for it by name. www.eternitykey.com
Old 03-12-14, 10:33 AM
trekone
Driver School Candidate

I have only one key ((without remote and L logo). This key can open doors and start engine.
So, Is it a transponder key? Can I use this key to program another new key?
Old 03-17-14, 05:46 AM
Z07
Driver

Originally Posted by trekone
I have only one key ((without remote and L logo). This key can open doors and start engine.
So, Is it a transponder key? Can I use this key to program another new key?
1. Does it lock/unlock the glove box?

2. How long does the security light stay lit after you insert this key into the ignition?
Old 04-05-14, 05:28 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

There is finally a solution to the Lexus broken key problem!! The best replacement on the market is called the Eternity Key. The others break and its costly to replace over and over. The Eternity Key is made of military grade materials, stronger than anything on the market, and has a lifetime warranty. Available at Lexus dealers or see www.eternitykey.com for dealers.
Old 07-31-14, 09:00 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any update???

So has anyone verified if you can program a replacement remote/master key if you no longer have a remote/master key and only have a valet and wallet/card key? Someone posted here that the wallet/card key is also a master key.

I was going to purchase the tech stream cable and see if I can get this to work.
Wifey lost the remote/master chip, I still have the shell and shank, valet, and wallet/card key.
Thx!
Old 08-05-14, 01:48 PM
danski50
Driver School Candidate

Default KEYs for the SUV

Originally Posted by Enz
So has anyone verified if you can program a replacement remote/master key if you no longer have a remote/master key and only have a valet and wallet/card key? Someone posted here that the wallet/card key is also a master key.

I did verify you can not program any key without having a master key. You can have a key cut to open the locks, and program the remote functions but not the security codes to start the car. Only an existing master will add the new master keys security codes to the system. If you think about it a little, you really don't want to be able to reprogram the security system, because if you can do it, someone (like a valet) could do it also.

So I solved my problem by purchasing two new master/remote keys, then was able to talk my local Lexus service department into reprogramming the computer for under $200.

Good luck, Dan
Old 08-05-14, 02:38 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by danski50
I did verify you can not program any key without having a master key. You can have a key cut to open the locks, and program the remote functions but not the security codes to start the car. Only an existing master will add the new master keys security codes to the system. If you think about it a little, you really don't want to be able to reprogram the security system, because if you can do it, someone (like a valet) could do it also.

So I solved my problem by purchasing two new master/remote keys, then was able to talk my local Lexus service department into reprogramming the computer for under $200.

Good luck, Dan
JimsRX300 actually confirmed that the wallet/card key on his 03 is a master. I tried mine an 02 and it is also a master.
Old 08-05-14, 04:43 PM
Z07
Driver

Originally Posted by Enz
JimsRX300 actually confirmed that the wallet/card key on his 03 is a master. I tried mine an 02 and it is also a master.
Exactly. All of them were master cuts. The last two years (at least) were also capable of starting the car when used in concert with their holders because the holders had RFID chips.
Old 03-10-15, 07:43 PM
Pughnitive
Driver School Candidate

Default 1999 rx300 fcc id

Hey all, I'm slightly changing direction here. I've searched high and low to find out the right info for this, but no luck.

I'm looking for any and all information about what key chip works with the 99 RX300. I have a working master. My second remote transponder key (bought off ebay a couple years ago) does not work. Apparently it has a newer chip. 4D I think....A locksmith told me I need a 4C chip. But when I search with that info I don't find very much. I keep coming up with HYQ12BBT or NI4TMTX or both in the same listing. I should say that my master has no writing on it so I have no idea what the FCC ID is. Most of the auctions on ebay say to "Make sure you know your FCC ID." Anyone know what this number is?

I thought I found the perfect thread here, but gp1200x only says the remote transponder master key is #8501. This confuses me since I haven't seen that number associated with any of my other findings online.

Any help is much appreciated. Love it here at CL.

Quick Reply: KEYs for the SUV