RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 07:03 PM
10acimport
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Not even broken in at 120k. Only reason to change before 200k is to prevent threads from welding to the engine. Pull them out, dab a little anti-seize on the threads and re-install.
If you're going to all the trouble to dab anti seize on them you may as well replace them .
Old 03-02-15, 07:16 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Per NGK and Denso, do not use anti-seize on their plugs.
http://www.globaldenso.com/en/produc...ion/index.html

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_5points.pdf

If you cant break the factory torque spec of 13 ft/lbs per spark plug...you have to start hitting the gym.
Old 03-03-15, 01:12 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 10acimport
If you're going to all the trouble to dab anti seize on them you may as well replace them .
I understand your point and have done exactly that. But some folks do not want to pay an extra $50 for plugs they do not need.
Old 03-03-15, 01:19 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Per NGK and Denso, do not use anti-seize on their plugs.
http://www.globaldenso.com/en/produc...ion/index.html

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_5points.pdf

If you cant break the factory torque spec of 13 ft/lbs per spark plug...you have to start hitting the gym.
Anyone who over-torques a sparkplug should not be working on a car! I may be convinced to not use anti-seize on the original install but will always use it on a re-install. Do not know what the Toyota FSM says, but I have a FSM for my niece's Acura and it says to apply anti-seize on a re-install for both NGK and Denso plugs.
Old 03-03-15, 06:05 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
other than mileage; how can i tell when its probably time for me to change out the plugs in my rx 300? Are there any warning signs per say such as being boggy, hesitation etc?
Anyone care to reply to this one?
Old 03-05-15, 02:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Anyone care to reply to this one?
There is no real simple answer to this one. I generally see a drop in mpg and acceleration would not be as good. I generally do the other things like use good gas, injector cleaners, cleaning my MAF sensor. I would also see some misfire codes, the P03xx codes. I also don't use plugs, torque masters, where the gap can be adjusted, so I would literally have to go look at a plug and see how dirty it is.
Old 03-05-15, 06:47 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexmex
There is no real simple answer to this one. I generally see a drop in mpg and acceleration would not be as good. I generally do the other things like use good gas, injector cleaners, cleaning my MAF sensor. I would also see some misfire codes, the P03xx codes. I also don't use plugs, torque masters, where the gap can be adjusted, so I would literally have to go look at a plug and see how dirty it is.
Well; generally speaking; I usually try and use the better gas around here as well if i can afford to do so but sometimes I cant afford to buy the more expensive stuff and have to go with whatever the cheapest is which usually around here is a chain called arco. Their stations have always generally had the least expensive gas. As far as the fuel system cleaners go; I dumped in a bottle of prestone complete fuel system cleaner not too long after i got the vehicle. Followed the directions by letting the tank drop to almost completely empty; poured in a complete bottle of cleaner; and so far it seems to have improved overall throttle response, etc but; not much improvement in mileage. For that ive already checked the air filter and that looked very clean as if it had recently been replaced which it probably had been; I wish i could get 25mpg like some people on these forums are getting with their rx's; but for me; nope. Im usually lucky if i get 20-22mpg and again thats if im lucky. I dont think there are any current issues with the plugs as there has been no drop in acceleration. But as for the maf sensor; where is that located so i can pick up some cleaner for that and thoroughly clean it.
Old 03-05-15, 07:53 PM
Robert78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter problems

I'm having problems in snowy or wet conditions only. When I am driving on the highway in these conditions the car sputters sporadically when driving 60 mph or >. My mechanic has mentioned spark plugs or a a possible coil issue. Any ideas?
Old 03-06-15, 01:03 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Well; generally speaking; I usually try and use the better gas around here as well if i can afford to do so but sometimes I cant afford to buy the more expensive stuff and have to go with whatever the cheapest is which usually around here is a chain called arco. Their stations have always generally had the least expensive gas. As far as the fuel system cleaners go; I dumped in a bottle of prestone complete fuel system cleaner not too long after i got the vehicle. Followed the directions by letting the tank drop to almost completely empty; poured in a complete bottle of cleaner; and so far it seems to have improved overall throttle response, etc but; not much improvement in mileage. For that ive already checked the air filter and that looked very clean as if it had recently been replaced which it probably had been; I wish i could get 25mpg like some people on these forums are getting with their rx's; but for me; nope. Im usually lucky if i get 20-22mpg and again thats if im lucky. I dont think there are any current issues with the plugs as there has been no drop in acceleration. But as for the maf sensor; where is that located so i can pick up some cleaner for that and thoroughly clean it.
20-22 around town is damn good. The only aftermarket fuel injector cleaner worth using is Techron. Do a little research and I bet you will come to the same conclusion. If you do not know where your MAF sensor is, you probably do not know how to clean it. There are DIY tutorials with great pics to help you. Make sure you buy the right cleaner (made specifically for MAF sensors) and clean the sensor wires (not easy to see/access) and not the IAT sensing bulb.

Last edited by artbuc; 03-06-15 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 06:30 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert78
I'm having problems in snowy or wet conditions only. When I am driving on the highway in these conditions the car sputters sporadically when driving 60 mph or >. My mechanic has mentioned spark plugs or a a possible coil issue. Any ideas?
A coil issue typically would show a check engine light.
How many miles do you have on your plugs? At minimum, it is easy to check your front plugs.
Old 03-06-15, 08:16 AM
matts6887
Racer

20-22 around town is damn good. The only aftermarket fuel injector cleaner worth using is Techron. Do a little research and I bet you will come to the same conclusion. If you do not know where your MAF sensor is, you probably do not know how to clean it. There are DIY tutorials with great pics to help you. Make sure you buy the right cleaner (made specifically for MAF sensors) and clean the sensor wires (not easy to see/access) and not the IAT sensing bulb.

art; can you give me a idea at all where it is so i can look for it? or is it hidden behind something and not easy to get to? because I want to try and squeeze every bit of mpg out of this vehicle as i can. Lately Ive been only getting like 18-20mpg combined city and highway i think. Most newer vehicles get better mileage on the highway than city; well this one seems like its the opposite. It seems like it gets better mileage in the city then on the highway.

EDIT: DOH; I just remembered where it is. Its that small sensor located right on top connected to the air intake tube.

Last edited by matts6887; 03-06-15 at 08:23 AM. Reason: adding edit
Old 03-06-15, 08:18 AM
matts6887
Racer

Also; for the techron stuff; my last fillup was from a chevron station which uses techron in all 3 grades of their gas which is why its a bit more $ per gallon then others. So I did that at least. I still think the prestone complete fuel system cleaner i dumped in did some good because it seemed to improve throttle response a bit