RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-15, 05:05 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default spark plugs

How can i tell if and when it is time to change the sparks on my 99 300; and how hard is it for a novice to do on their own such as myself; and is there a link to the steps involved with pics somewhere in these forums? thanks matt
Old 02-27-15, 06:29 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Don't quote me but i think plugs are to be changed at 100k miles. You can verify in your manual or calling your local Lexus dealer. The factory uses irridium plugs that can last up to 150k miles.

Here is the DIY provided by Lexmex https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-patience.html

His method is to change the plugs while leaving the intake manifold on.

Since you have an early RX, it may be worthwhile for peace of mind to check out your rear valve cover for sludge and replace your rear plugs the factory way by removing the intake manifold.

There is a DIY somewhere in the forum. Most of the tips i've found in this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lve-cover.html
Old 02-28-15, 04:41 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Neither of these jobs is a DIY for someone who labels themself a 'novice.'
Old 02-28-15, 08:35 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by JAB
Neither of these jobs is a DIY for someone who labels themself a 'novice.'
Well; I do know plenty about cars as Ive been a car nut all my life so Ive studied all the brands out there and know quite a bit. I think with proper step by step instructions; and pics; if i had to i could do it myself. Especially because I am all for trying to save myself $ in particular because i usually dont have the funds to get it done at a local shop so to do that i would have to get help financially from a outside source.

Last edited by matts6887; 02-28-15 at 08:36 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 02-28-15, 05:16 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Don't quote me but i think plugs are to be changed at 100k miles. You can verify in your manual or calling your local Lexus dealer. The factory uses irridium plugs that can last up to 150k miles.

Here is the DIY provided by Lexmex https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-patience.html

Since you have an early RX, it may be worthwhile for peace of mind to check out your rear valve cover for sludge and replace your rear plugs the factory way by removing the intake manifold.

There is a DIY somewhere in the forum. Most of the tips i've found in this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lve-cover.html
fastnoypi; As far as the valve covers go; yea Ive read several threads about taking the valve covers off and checking for oil sludge. Not sure if my 99 has the original style it came with from the factory or the new one; but i am guessing since its the first year of the rx; then im sure it has the original style valve cover unless one of the previous owner(s) either changed it out themselves or had a local shop do it. As far as determining whether or not that needs to be changed out for the newer design; I will keep checking the oil level every so often to make sure im not either burning any excess or having it be drawn into the intake or something else like that. But so far; so good(knock on wood) no cel's; no problems whatsoever with this 99.
Old 02-28-15, 06:13 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by fastnoypi

fast; I thought one is suppose to use denso plugs that I have read about in several threads? Or is denso the brand name and irridium the type of plug(s)?
Old 02-28-15, 06:29 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

matt,
If the previous owners of your RX did alot of highway driving and typically longer commutes you shouldn't be worried about the sludge. Maybe even more so in the southwest, but smart to keep an eye on it. We have been noticing a pattern of oil drinking in early year RX's but i haven't been keeping track of region.
I suspect the thin baffle design in the early RX valve covers sludged easier in short commutes. Whipped up oil in cooler weather and short commutes, the oil is quite viscous and doesn't get a chance to drain from the baffles and traps the moisture from the blowby.

You can use Denso or NGK plugs, they are brands. Iridium is an element but a platinum-iridium alloy is actually used as harder material in plugs for longevity.

As long as you use the factory specified heat range , you can't go wrong with either.
fwiw, i am going to be installing Denso SK20R11's in my RX this weekend . I found a good deal on ebay for the set of 6.
Old 02-28-15, 07:41 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a set on Ngk Iridium plugs, got a great deal 38.00$ for a set of 6 I haven't got them yet but alot of people said they are just as good or better than denso, I heard salim say something about denso not being genuine parts and having other manufacturers making them and not being denso parts but I'm not sure
Old 02-28-15, 07:49 PM
tllee
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
Well; I do know plenty about cars as Ive been a car nut all my life so Ive studied all the brands out there and know quite a bit. I think with proper step by step instructions; and pics; if i had to i could do it myself. Especially because I am all for trying to save myself $ in particular because i usually dont have the funds to get it done at a local shop so to do that i would have to get help financially from a outside source.
Follow the Lexmex instruction carefully, make sure you fully understand what he's talking about, then open your hood to match the pictures which he show on the threads. If you have any doubt , don't start your job, after any ignition part removed, you won't be able to start your car if you can't put it back. Keep those in mind and you will be fine.
** As soon as you encounter any difficulty, just calm down, don't rush it with any "brutal force". I saw a couple of guys who broke the spark plug and take days to resolve it.
Old 02-28-15, 08:35 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

By the way the plugs are good for an easy 120k miles before change....
Old 03-01-15, 01:05 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
By the way the plugs are good for an easy 120k miles before change....
Not even broken in at 120k. Only reason to change before 200k is to prevent threads from welding to the engine. Pull them out, dab a little anti-seize on the threads and re-install.
Old 03-01-15, 08:41 AM
matts6887
Racer

Thanks for all the helpful info here guys. I am probably just gonna wait til further on down the road to change them because for right now my 300 is running excellent. No bogging or hesitation or anything of that sort. So Im thinking they were changed by one of the previous owners who either did it themselves or had it done by a local shop. But i will definitely keep this thread with the links to the pics handy if i feel I get to a point where i need to get new ones in there.
Old 03-01-15, 07:47 PM
matts6887
Racer

other than mileage; how can i tell when its probably time for me to change out the plugs in my rx 300? Are there any warning signs per say such as being boggy, hesitation etc?
Old 03-02-15, 09:10 AM
DewHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my plugs at approximately 138,000 miles primarily because I thought it might improve performance. Really have not experienced any improvement, but certainly does not hurt.

I followed the aforementioned DIY and really did not have any problems.
Old 03-02-15, 09:48 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Matt, I suggest saving your money for a timing belt rather than "wasting" it on rear valve covers, spark plugs, etc.

Quick Reply: spark plugs