RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 06:40 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Finally did mine, it's been burnt out for a year or so. The only thing I would add is to get the two screws that hold the outer bezel on loose before deciding that today is the day to fix it. Those bastards were on super tight and the heads are made of butter. Luckily after trying 5-6 screwdrivers and pushing so hard that I thought I was going to break the dash they broke loose. The heads were chewed off pretty good so I swapped them with two of the screws that hold the cluster in since they are the same and are easy to get to. I thought the electrical connectors were easy to undo unlike most cars that I have worked on before. Thanks to all you guys that put this thread together. That would have been a b1tch without the pics on here.
Old 09-17-10, 12:19 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine went out a few years ago, just got used to it, then a few months ago it came back on!! Did not have it replaced or DIM, i know, weird, not sure how that is possible if the buld burned out?
Old 09-17-10, 07:14 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've seen that happen with household light bulbs. The filament can break or separate from the wire holding it, then occasionally make contact again. I imagine it's the same sort of thing.
Old 10-13-10, 06:57 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I would add is to get the two screws that hold the outer bezel on loose before deciding that today is the day to fix it
I decided to try to loosen mine today; I have the bulb, just need the strength & courage to take the thing apart.

I managed to get the left screw (closest to the driver door) loose, but the other one just won't budge. I'll toy around with it over the next few days.

Do the panels (where the mirror & ignition are) just "pop off", or is there a trick to removing them?

Has anyone NOT had success following the procedure that was outlined here (outside of breaking a clip or two)?
Old 10-13-10, 07:55 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDevoe
I decided to try to loosen mine today; I have the bulb, just need the strength & courage to take the thing apart.

I managed to get the left screw (closest to the driver door) loose, but the other one just won't budge. I'll toy around with it over the next few days.

Do the panels (where the mirror & ignition are) just "pop off", or is there a trick to removing them?

Has anyone NOT had success following the procedure that was outlined here (outside of breaking a clip or two)?

Those pieces just pop off. They don't seem too fragile so I would not worry about them too much.

Now that bastard inside screw, that one sucks. I remember that the correct angle to get the screwdriver to bite good was a little weird. That and push like hell and pray it comes loose before you chew the head off of it. I actually found that my hand was screwed up and hurt for several days after fighting that one off.
Old 10-16-10, 02:44 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Ok, so here is my experience with this...

Usually, when something is "easy", it isn't for me; I always seem to mess something up.

I spent several days (on & off) trying to get that right screw off. Finally I had an idea (this is the one thing that DID go right, and I'm hoping it will help others). I took a ratchet screwdriver (with bits), that was around 1/3 to 1/2" longer that the distance from the steering column & the screw. Applying a good amount of pressure, I squeezed the screwdriver into the bit, and between the steering column. I was then able to slowly turn it; since there was so much pressure, the bit didn't "slip". The screw came loose within minutes! :-)

This is where the problems began... I couldn't get the piece attached to the ignition apart. I kept snapping it back in & out, and finally checked this thread, to be sure that it is supposed to slide completely out. So then I used a screwdriver for leverage... the piece came popping out, and so did one of the retaining clips. I should have heeded the advise of another poster, and purchased a replacement or two. As of now, I still cannot locate the clip...

I finally got everything else loose & apart, and took out the D bulb (the base on this bulb was green; others reported it was black or gray). I went to put in the replacement. Not less than three times, I just couldn't get it in the hole without it falling to the floor (I didn't unhook the wires after pulling the cluster out).

Finally, I got it in & got everything back together. But the top left screw (closest to the driver door) was "spinning into air", and I also couldn't get it out. Evidently, I didn't completely pop the cluster back in...

Someone else quoted that it seems like an awful lot of work for a "D" light. Yes, for me it was. Do I think it was worth it? As of now, no... but once I find a (or buy a replacement) clip, I'm sure there are no rattles, and the "D" light stays lit, then probably...

And one more word of advise -- when inserting or coming close to removing the screws, use a magnetic screwdriver...
Old 10-17-10, 07:42 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

I never did find my missing retainer clip. Today, I took the RX for a 100-mile trip, which included some very bumpy roads, due to construction.

No rattling, despite the missing clip. It looks weird to look at the dash & see an illuminated D light.

Others have made mention that the drive gear lights do not dim. From what I've noticed, when the dash lights are on at full-level (when the headlights are not on, or the dash light control is turned all the way to the right so it "clicks"), the light is around 30-50% brighter than when the headlights are on, or the dash control is not turned all the way to the right.
Old 11-07-10, 01:06 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Another Successful Replacement

After driving my '01 RX Silversport (bought it new, 128k miles now) the last couple of years without a D light, I figured I'd take the plunge. Very non-mechanically inclined here but the thorough instructions early in this thread convinced me I could do this. I lined up some tools and bought the bulb at my local dealer ($5.46 at Pohanka Lexus).

The only tough part was getting the Philips head screws that hold the cluster trim in at the top of the bezel. Patience and a ratcheting driver with an angled head did the trick. Once those were out, the rest popped out pretty easily. Knowing where to expect the ignition and seat control trim clips helped ease out those pieces. Replacing the bulb itself was anti-climatic. It all popped back together nicely and everything lights up now.

Thanks to all the folks who make this forum a great resource!
Old 11-14-10, 08:51 PM
ski2days
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have a "D" indicator light that is out in my recently purchased 2002 rx300.
Just turned 90k. This is the only thing so far that wasn't perfect! Prefectionist Wife noticed it was out. Will fix soon. Thanks for all the great info and pictures.
Old 12-13-10, 08:45 PM
Peter5767
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool No Lawyer drives Lexus!

Facts:
My too!
More than 43K visitors to the threads.
Other lights are okay, but the "Drive" light out.
Lexus stands for Luxury?
Lexus makes more money than GE in selling a light bulb for $12.46 (the item should be recall)
Lexus should recall this issue, but it doesn't.
Does any Lawyer drive a Lexus? we have got a class action here.
May be .. CL can do it......
Old 12-13-10, 09:23 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats to all who fixed this themselves. If you are going to do it, I recommend an LED bulb. You wont ever have to replace it again.
Old 03-23-11, 10:10 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to replace the "D" light in June (after finals). I also want to replace the "ECT Normal" and "ECT Power" lights while I'm at it, even though they are all not really needed.

Does anyone know what the part numbers are?

The step-by-step is a great post. Thanks!
Old 03-23-11, 10:15 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
I'm going to replace the "D" light in June (after finals). I also want to replace the "ECT Normal" and "ECT Power" lights while I'm at it, even though they are all not really needed.

Does anyone know what the part numbers are?

The step-by-step is a great post. Thanks!
The "D" light is a dealer item ... visit the parts store.

Salim
Old 03-23-11, 10:30 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The "D" blub was out on my 2000 RX300 when I bought it last June...it was on the to-do list. So, about 3 months ago, I was driving, and "blink", on it went. It's been on ever since...no lie. Moral of the story: if you procrastinate long enough, some problems take care of themselves. :-D
Old 03-23-11, 05:24 PM
MikeS99rx3
Driver School Candidate

Mine did the same thing, for a while, and it went out again.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out