RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 06:04 AM
Leonardo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the plastic holding the D bulb was gray while the L was black. ASSuming that the D bulb is diferent from the rest, I'll see how long it lasts compared to the L. In any case, I can just order it from the local STealer (who overprices parts)

I really don't think they upgraded a bulb as they would have to switch the whole set or the cluster. A bulb is a bulb and for them to upgrade would incurr spending money on R/D as opposed to just replacing as needed.

BTW, the 99RX I got has 86K on the odometer.
Old 10-06-06, 06:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonardo
Well, the plastic holding the D bulb was gray while the L was black. ASSuming that the D bulb is diferent from the rest, I'll see how long it lasts compared to the L. In any case, I can just order it from the local STealer (who overprices parts)

I really don't think they upgraded a bulb as they would have to switch the whole set or the cluster. A bulb is a bulb and for them to upgrade would incurr spending money on R/D as opposed to just replacing as needed.

BTW, the 99RX I got has 86K on the odometer.
I think my D light went dead while still within the 50K warranty.
Old 10-09-06, 06:36 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Leonardo,

the bulbs should all be the same.

Yes you can interchange the bulb from L to D.

The reason the D bulb burns out first is because its the one that is most frequently used..
Old 10-09-06, 01:34 PM
Leonardo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know, it,s just the holder that is deferent.

Works like a charm!
Old 11-04-06, 01:02 PM
acerx300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, just replaced my "D" bulb w/ part# 83119246710 from Longo Lexus @$8.03 a pop! So if you don't want to spend that much just use one of the lower gear bulbs as stated before by the others.

Also I was able to avoid steps 7-11 by simply wiggling the cluster around about face and just twisting the green base bulb (the only one) off w/ a small flat screw driver and replacing it w/ the new bulb and thus avoiding messin' w/ those 3 wire connectors.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-06, 01:23 PM
paulnstl
Driver School Candidate

Add me to the list with the D bulb out at 66K as well as the O/D light out as well. Guess will have dealer do as am not mechanically inclined and do not want the risk of me doing any harm to the dash...anyone have an idea of cost from a dealer on this one? have warranty, but not through lexus, so doubtful they will cover bulbs?
Old 11-05-06, 01:27 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by paulnstl
anyone have an idea of cost from a dealer on this one?
It would be interesting to include the cost of an oil change at the dealer with responses, to see if there's a correlation.
Old 11-05-06, 01:47 PM
paulnstl
Driver School Candidate

Am not due for an oil change for another few months, however, if it is like my Mercedes...there is a HUGE corrolation. At a dealer, oil change is nearly $75 and at a local place it is only $35...and they get it done faster...
Old 11-06-06, 04:02 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My first suggestion is to try the local Toyota service department, where they coincidentally charge $35 for an oil change rather than $78 like Lexus.

I would suspect the price is somewhat negotiable since its not a routine maintenance item like brake pads or timing belt or sparkplug.

I would suspect if they charge more than 1.5 hours labour that its too much.
Old 11-06-06, 09:56 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Iron Toad sells these bulbs for $3.50 a pop.
Old 11-18-06, 06:51 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toyo
Ok, this is for everyone except for Ederny, what a *****!

Follow these instructions and it should take you no longer than 15 minutes.

1. Remove 2 screws at the top of the black bezel around the cluster.
2. Pull trim piece straight out on the left of the steering wheel, the trim that houses the seat memory switch. Not the seat memory switch itself, but the plastic piece that holds all the switches
3. Pull trim piece straight out that is around the key. Not the black rubber piece around the ignition switch that says PUSH
4. Tilt steering wheel all the way down.
5. Remove black bezel around cluster, start from the bottom and pull out.
6. Remove 3 screws holding cluster in. They are on the side of the cluster. Don't forget the top screw
7. Pull cluster out enough to get your hand behind and unplug the 3 connectors.
8. Remove cluster from car, you will kinda have to move it around a little bit to get it out, be careful not to scratch the lens.
9. Lay cluster face down on a soft towel.
10. You will see a white plastic cover on the back, remove the 8 gold colored screws holding this cover on.
11. Pull cover off, turn the cluster over and look where the gear selector letters are, on the oppisite side you will see 3 black and 2 green little cap looking things. These are the bulbs. Simply unscrew to remove. you may swap the park light bulb for the drive bulb. Or you can order one in advance.
12. Put all together in reverse order.
13. It sounds like alot of steps, but it is all very easy and understandable once you start.

Hope this helps. Steven
Made a few changes in black as I just completed this. Thanks for the instructions. I made a few mistakes and the above should help the next guy.

I now have a Green D Light!
Old 12-13-06, 04:33 PM
TexusRx
Driver School Candidate

Default Iron Toad??

Who/What's Iron Toad??? as I need this bulb as well...
Old 12-13-06, 05:35 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

These are relatively common bulbs/mounts, believe it or not. I've actually found them in an LED. They are known as a T-1.5, or something like that. I found mine on the web, though it was for a different vehicle. Not expensive, though they will not behave identically to incandescents when using the dimmer. I like the dash lights just barely on, and I can see how having one bright spot would bug the crap out of someone. It would me.
Old 12-13-06, 05:42 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexusRx
Who/What's Iron Toad??? as I need this bulb as well...
irontoad.com is actually Thompson Lexus in Doylestown, PA selling discounted parts on the net. Another one is newlexusparts.com which is actually Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX. I purchased parts from both and was pleased with their service.
Old 12-15-06, 06:48 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
. . . I like the dash lights just barely on, and I can see how having one bright spot would bug the crap out of someone. It would me.
I too like the background lights barely on and I keep them just at the on/off point. But that instrumnet panel background light dimmer control doesn't seem to affect the indicator lights, they always appear to be the same intensity to me - give it a try in different light. The green light never changes for me.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out