RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

02 RX 300 Overdrive Inconsistently working

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 12:38 PM
BLH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 RX 300 Overdrive Inconsistently working

I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2002 RX 300 with 104K miles. I noticed on the drive home that it was not going into overdrive. I pulled over finally and shut the vehicle off. When I restarted and pulled out it went to working fine, going in and out of overdrive properly. That was only 6 days ago. Since then it has gone out of overdrive about three more times. Each time once I stop the vehicle (turn off the engine) and restart it seems to work fine for quite a while.

It does not have a check engine light, though I have not yet had it scanned for latent codes. Since it has been on a used lot for a while I assume the battery may have died killing any stored codes anyway.

I appreciate any advice.
Old 02-05-15, 12:45 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by BLH
I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2002 RX 300 with 104K miles. I noticed on the drive home that it was not going into overdrive. I pulled over finally and shut the vehicle off. When I restarted and pulled out it went to working fine, going in and out of overdrive properly. That was only 6 days ago. Since then it has gone out of overdrive about three more times. Each time once I stop the vehicle (turn off the engine) and restart it seems to work fine for quite a while.

It does not have a check engine light, though I have not yet had it scanned for latent codes. Since it has been on a used lot for a while I assume the battery may have died killing any stored codes anyway.

I appreciate any advice.
Does the CEL light come on during self test ,,, first time you move the key form OFF to run position?

Salim
Old 02-05-15, 01:09 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!
Old 02-05-15, 08:45 PM
BLH
Driver School Candidate

No sir it does not come on.
Old 02-05-15, 09:26 PM
salimshah

That needs to be fixed .. could be a blown bulb ,,, keep in mind the CEL indicates that you have a problem. [see having problems start here sticky thread].

You need to have the error codes read. Visit one of the car parts store [call in advance to see if they do the check for free].

You can then do a search for the error codes and even post them here. Then we can suggest the next step.

Salim

[PS: not trying to be rude here, but please read the owner's manual. It covers what to expect from the instrument cluster]
Old 02-06-15, 04:43 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

That lamp if burned out might be hiding a tranny issues. Whatever you do do not have a transmission flush performed. Drain and fill only with replacing the transmission filter. But as said do a scan and fix the cel lamp.
Old 02-06-15, 05:48 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tell if the CEL bulb is burned out by just putting the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position and when all the ligh t s on the dash come on just look for the little engine and if it's not there then it's burned out.
Old 02-06-15, 06:51 AM
BLH
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Will do. I hope this thing is not a lemon. Going to my mechanic today to read the codes. Is the bulb for the CEL hard to get to?
Old 02-06-15, 07:49 AM
salimshah

Please check your state laws about sale of vehicle with failing emissions and if there has been a deliberate attempt to hide that fact. All I am saying is that you may have a recourse and if you bought the vehicle from a dealership, they may be able to help you.

If you look through our DIY list, there is a post on changing the "D" light. You can decide if that is doable. Bulb being pooped is a possibility but there can be other reasons too ..like wire/trace cut or cracked etc.

Salim
Old 02-06-15, 12:17 PM
BLH
Driver School Candidate

Default Overdrive issues no check engine light 02 RX 300

P1155 is the only code that came up. It is evidently a O2 sensor on bank 2 but my mechanic said it should have nothing to do with overdrive issue.

I believe it is just the bulb and am working to fix that.

I am told a transmission guy can run a more complete diagnostic. The issue is so intermittent and easily fixed I am not sure I need to spend the money.
Old 02-06-15, 05:13 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by BLH
P1155 is the only code that came up. It is evidently a O2 sensor on bank 2 but my mechanic said it should have nothing to do with overdrive issue.

I believe it is just the bulb and am working to fix that.

I am told a transmission guy can run a more complete diagnostic. The issue is so intermittent and easily fixed I am not sure I need to spend the money.
It absolutely can/will lock it out of overdrive. Pop in a new OE/Denso sensor and your tranny issue will go away.
Old 02-09-15, 03:14 AM
BLH
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I am going to dealership today for the CEL light bulb and a full diagnostic. Is the bank 2 O2 sensor hard to replace yourself?
Old 02-09-15, 07:56 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Bank 2 is pretty easy as long as the threads break loose. Use ONLY OE/Denso. Advance Auto will price match Amazon if you are in a hurry. Don't pay much $ for diagnostic work if you already have the code, you pretty much know it's the sensor.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...el-sensor.html
Old 02-10-15, 04:26 PM
BLH
Driver School Candidate

Default Returned Lexus

Thanks all for your help here. BLUF the vehicle had 2x miles as odometer read (210K verses the 104K on the odometer. I thought I had great deal but not so much. Returned vehicle to dealer for full refund. May yet buy another but will be much more careful. again thanks.
Old 02-11-15, 06:10 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BLH
Thanks all for your help here. BLUF the vehicle had 2x miles as odometer read (210K verses the 104K on the odometer. I thought I had great deal but not so much. Returned vehicle to dealer for full refund. May yet buy another but will be much more careful. again thanks.
I think I read your thread on Reddit about this actually.

Glad to hear the dealer took the car back.

Quick Reply: 02 RX 300 Overdrive Inconsistently working