RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Bosch Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 10:14 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bosch Spark Plugs

Ok guy's if yall saw my other posts about my vibration issue So I took out them piece of crap plugs and they were black as night! So then I take a peak down to look at the piston head and I was completely shocked again! They were black! The plugs have the sooty type discoloration on them, no oil on them....only thing I can think of is the cars running to lean, I am going to clean my iacv this weekend I heard it causes a richer air to fuel mixture. Another thing, is it possible to pour some sea foam down the spark plug hole and let it sit over night to help clean the carbon off the piston and then in the morning turn over the engine a few times with the spark plugs out to spit out any remaining seafoam. thanks guy's your inputs are truly appreciated!

Edit:
Please read
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...community.html

Last edited by salimshah; 02-02-15 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-02-15, 10:18 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Old 02-02-15, 10:19 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Old 02-02-15, 10:27 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Old 02-02-15, 10:50 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

ON this site we discourage bosch plugs. use NGK or Denso iridium only...Best bang for the buck.
Old 02-02-15, 11:20 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thomas1
ON this site we discourage bosch plugs. use NGK or Denso iridium only...Best bang for the buck.
Tell me about it! my poor car had to deal with this crap for 4k miles!
Old 02-03-15, 06:17 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

You will laugh more when I tell you a shop in my town only services BMW and Mercedes and the owner says he gets more work from people that put Bosch in their German cars. Yup around 1-4 k miles and they cause all kinds of misfires, poor idle, etc.
Old 02-03-15, 08:09 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thomas1
You will laugh more when I tell you a shop in my town only services BMW and Mercedes and the owner says he gets more work from people that put Bosch in their German cars. Yup around 1-4 k miles and they cause all kinds of misfires, poor idle, etc.
Germans and their crap lol...smh maybe they should try some denso or ngk's and see what happens!
Old 02-03-15, 12:28 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Since we are talking Bosh plugs in Japanese vehicle, I put NGK's in my son's '97 BMW 328i. Had no issues for 2 yrs .. till he sold his car. My other son still insists that we should have put Bosh

Salim
Old 02-03-15, 05:52 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Since we are talking Bosh plugs in Japanese vehicle, I put NGK's in my son's '97 BMW 328i. Had no issues for 2 yrs .. till he sold his car. My other son still insists that we should have put Bosh

Salim
Lol how funny I bet them "german" plugs would have crapped out in that German engine , last friday i got a misfire in cylinders 1,2,3 and 6 took out those bosch plugs ASAP! Them plugs are terrible, ngk is the way to go for any vehicle
Old 02-04-15, 11:15 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

lean would be very ashy looking. But if you are concerned about the blackness of your pistons, consider seafoaming and getting a catch can. The black is from burning the recirculated oil mist from your pcv going into your intake manifold.
Old 02-04-15, 06:53 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also used Bosch when I had my 1996 Probe GT (it had a Mazda V6 engine). Ran great for three weeks and then all of a sudden my GT started "talkin' to me on the freeway".....yeah, not good. Misfires and weird popping sounds from the engine bay. Kinda freaky. Anyway, after my mechanic put in the NGK platinums, the car ran as smooth as silk and was powerful when punching it on the onramp. Lesson learned: NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER USE BOSCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-15, 04:13 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
lean would be very ashy looking. But if you are concerned about the blackness of your pistons, consider seafoaming and getting a catch can. The black is from burning the recirculated oil mist from your pcv going into your intake manifold.
Thanks for the reply, can I put the seafoam in my spark plug holes like I mentioned in the post?
Old 02-05-15, 04:16 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by appsdba
I also used Bosch when I had my 1996 Probe GT (it had a Mazda V6 engine). Ran great for three weeks and then all of a sudden my GT started "talkin' to me on the freeway".....yeah, not good. Misfires and weird popping sounds from the engine bay. Kinda freaky. Anyway, after my mechanic put in the NGK platinums, the car ran as smooth as silk and was powerful when punching it on the onramp. Lesson learned: NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER USE BOSCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, believe me I will never ever, ever, EVER spend 1 measly cent on another bosch product AGAIN!!!
Old 02-07-15, 03:22 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz
Thanks for the reply, can I put the seafoam in my spark plug holes like I mentioned in the post?
yes and no,...you can put some through there but its not the most effective way plus you risk puddling. The vac hose that connects your pcv to the back of your intake manifold is the easiest spot. Yank that hose off the back of the intake manifold and stick a length of 3/8 hose to a clear bottle that you can put some seafoam in. When you start the car, dip the hose end into the seafoam and let it sip. If the car starts to bog, pinch the hose to prevent too much vacuum.

Your pcv hose that you unplugged may spit oil if your rear valve cover is gunked up and you have been exhibiting an oil consumption problem like many of us at high milage. You can stick the open end into a soda can to prevent a mess.

Quick Reply: Bosch Spark Plugs